Anyone else find mice in their sidepipes?

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your Viper being stored in an attached garage? I have not had this problem yet with any of my vehicles *knock on wood* but have been looking for solutions in the event I run into this problem. There seems to be so much conflicting information as to what works and what does not.

I have decided that if I do indeed run into this problem, I will purchase one of the car bubbles as it seems to be one of the easiest albeit one of the more costly solutions to unwanted guests.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started my car after sitting for a week and blew birdseed out of both sidepipes. Man, I hate rodents. Guess the glue traps and poison aren't getting them all.

I use the old fashion traps with peanut butter. They love it. You will catch many mice.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your car's going to be sitting for a while, stick a big *** of steel wool into the end of the pipe. They will not eat thru steel wool.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not go get two Nerf balls and sick them in the end? Or make another type of plug out of plastic.

Airplane owners place covers into cowling opens to keep birds from nesting in them and remove them before engine start up.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If your car's going to be sitting for a while, stick a big *** of steel wool into the end of the pipe. They will not eat thru steel wool.
Quote:
Why not go get two Nerf balls and sick them in the end? Or make another type of plug out of plastic.

Mostly because they are mice and will just find someother nice warm area of your car and nibble on some hoses and wires :shocked: so they can add those bits to their bedding...Get the regular, SNAP their little neck, mouse traps and use peanut butter. Many mice will die! :eek: :D

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
who cares if you get a mouse in the exhaust?? they won't chew through the stainless steel in my exhaust or Vortex cones....

The worst that can happen is you start your car and a mouse flies out like the guy in a circus cannonball... LOL

OP
OP
wreckless

wreckless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your Viper being stored in an attached garage? I have not had this problem yet with any of my vehicles *knock on wood* but have been looking for solutions in the event I run into this problem. There seems to be so much conflicting information as to what works and what does not.

I have decided that if I do indeed run into this problem, I will purchase one of the car bubbles as it seems to be one of the easiest albeit one of the more costly solutions to unwanted guests.

Yes, it is an attached garage. I am getting a bubble car caccoon like you mentioned. I even have a Jack Russell Terrier and he can't catch them all. Thats a problem with living on a farm with feed and grain nearby.

And I did launch a mouse prior to this, killed him dead. Was on the garage floor when I returned from a ride. Couldn't figure out what had happened to him till now.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be aware
They like heater hoses.
They ate mine on my Gen 2 when I was away. I found green pooh everywhere.
I suppose that coolant really cleaned them out....
Lucky I did the under the hood check before I started the car. The coolant had long dried up.

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One winter I started up my garden tractor to clear the snow and after a few minutes of warming up I started smelling roast corn. Upon increasing the engine speed, brown kernels of corn (deer feed) started flying out the exhaust.

No harm done and smelled pretty good. :D

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except roasted rat smells absolutley horrid. One little b*stard got lodged in our Audi's engine compartment and the smell, oh that smell, stayed with me for days :shocked:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story one of our members gave a few years back. Apparently, one fine spring day Bob readied his RT/10 for the inaugural drive for the year. Upon starting the car it ran very poorly and was smoking from the passenger sidepipe. Bob let it run for a while thinking it was just from sitting through the long Michigan winter.

After a few minutes it began popping very loud with an occasional noise from the other side of the garage like someone throwing stones. Upon investigating Bob found that a little rodent had managed to pack the sidepipe full of chestnuts that he bought for the previous holiday season. Had to be quite the scene.

Chestnuts roasting on an open sidepipe fire ...

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One winter I started up my garden tractor to clear the snow and after a few minutes of warming up I started smelling roast corn. Upon increasing the engine speed, brown kernels of corn (deer feed) started flying out the exhaust.

No harm done and smelled pretty good. :D

TMI

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a couple of suggestions. As far as the the exhaust pipe exits concerned, I use a large version of what motocross riders use. It is a plastic cone shaped plug that has a molded T-handle on it. Its yellow in color. I have experienced the bird seed problem, big mess.

As far as the rest of the car goes, use dryer sheets. The furry little Bas#^$rds (expletive intentional) absolutley hate them. I've been using them for years without any problems.

Because of the early cold weather here in Wisconsin, Mine is already hibernating, dryer sheets and all.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need some foam rubber for the sidepipes and a cat (that will get along with the dog).

Where in South Jersey?

Moorestown.

You must be "the other" red SRT in the area that I have been hearing about. I have a red '04 and live in Cherry Hill. A couple friends have commented that they saw a car that they thought was mine , but wasn't.

I haven't had a problem with mice in my Viper, but I did with my Supra. They built a nest in my turbo heat-shield. I ended up roasting a whole family of mice along with their nesting material. The smell was horrible and I was lucky it didn't catch fire (just smouldered and smoked). After that, I tried various rodent control solutions. The only one that completely eradicated them was poison.