Anyone install a Passport SR7 remote radar/laser detector?

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting the Passport SR7 remote radar detector with the laser shifters and installing it on my Viper GTS.

I was just wondering if anyone had installed one of these in their Viper before. If so, where and how did you mount the front radar antenna and 2 laser shifters?

Thanks in advance,
JB

OP
OP
J

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aw, come on. Someone has installed a remote radar detector on their Viper and has some pointers on where/how to mount everything.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aw, come on. Someone has installed a remote radar detector on their Viper and has some pointers on where/how to mount everything.
:cool:
Well, the problem is getting someone who has installed that remote radar detector in a Viper. I think most(?) people in this forum (myself included) have opted for the Valentine-1 unit (I personally have tried some of the recent Passport offerings, and liked the way the Valentine-1 worked better), and, Valentine doesn't yet offer a true remote setup; Yeah, I've got the Valentine-1 remote audio module for the motorcycle, and the remote display for the convertables, but its not a true remote in that you hide the main unit somewhere possibly exposed to the elements and have the display and audio alert modules elsewhere (although, I guess you could - if you mounted it in some sort of sealed robust enclosure).

Years ago, I put a Cobra remote unit into an '82 (first generation) RX7. Mounted the receiver under the bumper behind the facia (this was before laser detectors - as if a laser detector really does you any good), and mounted the display unit on top of the steering column - same place I mount the Valentine remote display units. Without knowing anything about the Passport remote unit, that would likely be the same route I would start out with on the Viper, but with the remote unit in the grill somewhere where it could see laser also which means not behind the facia. I'd route any wiring harness to the left side of the driver's footwell, and likely drill a hole directly below the C-100 main bulkhead connector to bring the wires in (same place I routed the cruise control wiring harness into my '00 RT/10). I almost always connect hardwired radar detector power into the audio system power feed, which is easy to get to on a Viper - two screws to pull the sound system head unit out and the power wire is easy to get there. Some people put it into the accesory connector on the fuse block, but I don't recall whether that connector is switched with the ignition (which I require for something like a radar detector).

Good luck... :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang