Anyone Installed Kicker RS60.2 Speakers in Their GTS?

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed Kicker RS60.2 speakers in the front doors of their GTS. Would be interested if they drop right in or need modification, if you had to remove the door panels, where you put the crossover box and how they work.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the tweeters in a GTS you're going to have to remove the door panel. The crossover box can fit inside the recess in the door panel. Make sure you double side tape it or else it will rattle around.

OP
OP
R

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Any idea where in the recess so that it does not interfere with the window, etc.? To attach the crossover I was going to use 3M dual lock which is like velcro on steroids. Use it all of the time in my racing applications and I have to pry it apart with a screwdriver to separate whatever I am mounting.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my crossover in the recess at the bottom of the door. There should be no interference.

As far as the 6.5" speakers, you're probably going to have to drill some holes. Chances are the aftermarket holes won't line up and they're impossible to find under the felt carpeting anyway.

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the same component set up. I am going to install it this weekend. I have heard it's pretty much drop in. We'll see how it goes. I will take pics of everything and try and get them posted. Oh, I am also putting in 2 of Kicker's 6.5" subs in the back as well.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're only changing the mid-range speakers in the doors - 6" - and not the tweeters, is it just a replace and plug n play? The cross-overs you speak of, is that only if you also change the tweeters and sub? I only want to change the 6", as I think they have dried out over the years.

Thanks.:2tu:

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, if you are not changing the tweeter then it is just plug and play w/ out any crossovers or door removal. Everyone recommended that the component setup would be much better so that's what I went with.

OP
OP
R

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, lots of great info. Did you measure the depth of the RS60.2 's to see if they will fit? Also, exactely what sub's, model #, are are putting in and did you meausre them before ordering? I am planning on changing the tweeters so will need to remove the door panels. I have the shop manual and it looks pretty straight forward but we all know how that goes. I am sure there will be issues.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're only changing the mid-range speakers in the doors - 6" - and not the tweeters, is it just a replace and plug n play? The cross-overs you speak of, is that only if you also change the tweeters and sub? I only want to change the 6", as I think they have dried out over the years.

Thanks.:2tu:

I guess you can drop in the 6.5" speaker with a full range replacement. But you would be wasting money. The stock speakers are mid woofers and are crossed over at a certain frequency. They usually don't sell mid woofers without the tweeter and crossover together. If you replace it with a full range speaker you're wasting money and not utilizing the tweeter.

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got you're message on email but decided to reply here so everyone can benefit. The speakers will fit without modification. The tweeter will also fit WITHOUT the adapters so it will have a recessed look. No need for drilling as it will be snug.

The crossovers can be put behind the door as there is plenty of space. Just make sure you use Velcro/double sided tape/zip ties to fit it snugly.

Turn the crossovers at lowest setting for tweeters as it's crazy loud to begin with. The speakers for mid bass are not that good. If anyone wants to try the next step up QS60.2, It should fit as well... If you have not purchased the speakers yet, i suggest trying them on as the mids are subpar.

I am not a big audio buff but like to hear clear wavelength with equal strengths. I have a 12" sub and these components but barely hear the mids. If i turn it up then i feel the risk of blowing these easily. I think the qs60.2 with the 2.5" depth may be slightly better. If it fits, then it is certainly worth it.

The hole diameter on the qs is only .2 larger than the rs. If you do decide to try, please let me know as i will upgrade. By the way, how much are you getting these for?

Last edited:

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ks600 will fit. It has the built in tweeter so putting that may be overkill. The rs60.2 allows the tweeter to be combined with the mid so if the treble is too strong, you can combine it like the ks600 and leave on the door housing while the stock tweeter can be non functional. The qs60.2 should fit as well but have not tried.

The mounting depth of the gts side door speaker hole is 2.5" after installing the rs60.2 with a depth of 2", i saw. That there is a little more room to go. The rs60.2 is a guaranteed easy fit. The qs should be a lot better but not tried it yet but it should fit.

The viper is supposed to be 6.5 in diameter but in reality will not fit the 6.5 that kicker makes without modification. It will fit the 6" that kicker makes. However the sound emanating from a 6" can only go so far and the tweeter is very strong.

If you can do the qs, i would highly recommend that. Take out you're stock components first, then go get the qs and place it on the door, if it fits... Buy it. I did that with the rs60.2 and larger but they did not have the qs in stock and i was driving without tunes so i pulled the trigger which i regret. Music without mids or crappy mids really gets under my skin.

Good luck

OP
OP
R

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded so far. This is great info. As for price, these seem to be fair traded as everyone seems to be selling them @ $349.99. There are some cheaper but they are rebuilds and I want first quality stuff. I bought mine on Amazon and got free shipping and no CA sales tax @ 10% so I saved a little. I will get mine tomorrow and install them this weekend. I will be replacing all of the door component and adding the crossover box. Will post a review of the installation and pictures when I am done.

On removing the door panels, I have the service manual and it seems pretty simple. Any input on tricks to make it go easier or is it is simple as they make it seem?

OP
OP
R

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got you're message on email but decided to reply here so everyone can benefit. The speakers will fit without modification. The tweeter will also fit WITHOUT the adapters so it will have a recessed look. No need for drilling as it will be snug.

The crossovers can be put behind the door as there is plenty of space. Just make sure you use Velcro/double sided tape/zip ties to fit it snugly.

Turn the crossovers at lowest setting for tweeters as it's crazy loud to begin with. The speakers for mid bass are not that good. If anyone wants to try the next step up QS60.2, It should fit as well... If you have not purchased the speakers yet, i suggest trying them on as the mids are subpar.

I am not a big audio buff but like to hear clear wavelength with equal strengths. I have a 12" sub and these components but barely hear the mids. If i turn it up then i feel the risk of blowing these easily. I think the qs60.2 with the 2.5" depth may be slightly better. If it fits, then it is certainly worth it.

The hole diameter on the qs is only .2 larger than the rs. If you do decide to try, please let me know as i will upgrade. By the way, how much are you getting these for?

I am doing this to get a little better sound than my current stock set up and I know that speakers are the most important component. Thanks for the tip on the power of the tweeter I will set it low. I don't expect a concert hall sound, just a better sound than I have now. That said, I am no audiophile, but I wonder if your comments about the mid range could come from combination of the car noise, tweeter and large sub woofer drowning out the mids?

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well half my install is done... Just put the kicker 10cvt65's in the rear... No mods, no drilling, used factory screws and everything lined up perfectly. Used the "battery" method and found the dark green wire was positive, light green obviously negative. Took 15 minutes from start to finish. Not a drastic change but much better. Will crank it up more in a few weeks, should be even better once they're broke in.

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything is in now. First door took a little time but the second door took 25 minutes... NO modding what so ever and everything fit w/ no issues. Sounds really great considering I paid $220 (including shipping) for everything. I can hear my radio now :)

OP
OP
R

rwd4rsk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine in today. Had a couple of curve balls but fairly straight forward for the most part. The door panels came off exactly as advertised so that was no problem. Spent a lot of time figuring out where/how to mount the crossover boxes before I realized that I did not need them. I have a 2000 GTS and my OEM mids and tweeters were wired completely separately not with the tweeter being fed off the mid like others posted. There must have been a change/upgrade somewhere along the line. As a result I installed the speakers and wired them up to the OEM wiring, left out the crossover box and they sound great. What an improvement. One thing I ran into was that the tweeter wires came out of the back of the speaker, wire on metal, housed in a metal tube. I put a small piece of shrink tubing around the wires and down into the tube that they came out of to eliminate the chance of a short at a later date. Maybe I will add the sub's after I listen for a bit to see if I feel it needs them.

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes the mix of the sub and the full belanger setup do somewhat drown out the mids but in any case, the more mid bass the better as tweeters are always same size but a 6" + the depth of the rs60.2 still makes for very little mid bass.

I get the speakers brand new shipped for about $180-200. I get it from a wholesaler so they are new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960