Anyone know this 01 GTS ACR?

OP
OP
M

mlambert890

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I chalked that up to some "creative marketing" ;) I did speak with the owner tonight and he seems like a good guy.

My fear with the ACR though is the shocks. Reading here it is making me nervous. A complex rebuild with very few aftermarket alternatives and a $12k replace tag (and seemingly very short potential lifespan) is Ferrari territory.

The $15k every two years maintenance plan is what has always kept me away from the F355.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fear with the ACR though is the shocks. Reading here it is making me nervous. A complex rebuild with very few aftermarket alternatives and a $12k replace tag (and seemingly very short potential lifespan) is Ferrari territory.

Rebuild cost for the shocks is not outrageous, IMHO.
However, I haven't checked on pricing since I had my rears rebuilt 3 years ago.

OP
OP
M

mlambert890

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like the cost is GREAT for the rebuild, but the process is hard (literally one repair center for the dynamics and they are busy). The alternative seems to be risking them failing and then having to do a replace at $$$.

Jim, are you aware of any aftermarket replacements for the ACR shocks that are reasonable? I assume it isnt possible to fit an ACR with standard Viper shocks? If there were some "emergency" option that was cost effective (even as a hold over), it would make me much less nervous.

Shocks are a serious wear and tear item, so big money there definitely gives me pause. Esp since I actually plan to drive the car a bit (not crazy mileage, but Id hate to count the miles to a multi-week shock rebuild)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, are you aware of any aftermarket replacements for the ACR shocks that are reasonable? I assume it isnt possible to fit an ACR with standard Viper shocks? If there were some "emergency" option that was cost effective (even as a hold over), it would make me much less nervous.

I didn't think that the mounting points were different between the ACR and a standard GTS. I really don't know for sure though. Someone else will have to provide the definitive answer.

It is highly recommended to replace the stock 1100lb springs that come with the Dynamic Suspensions shocks with 850 pound ones, though.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no no.

Sorry. Let me say it again.

No no no.

Please do some searching on the website here. There is so much misinformation about the ACR shocks. It is shocking. (Pun intended).

First of all, if you want "brand new" dynamic suspension shocks, it will cost you 12k. BUT.....
who says you will need it?

So many people say "The shocks leak", etc. They are really clueless. If you look in the Viper repair manual, it says that the shocks NORMALLY have some fluid out of them on the outside. If you need to, you can throw "normal" shocks on there. If you search, I believe I even stated the exact page number in the owners manual where it provides that information.

People baby these cars and don't want them to even have a spot on them. It is silly.

And, to my horror, when I inquired about rebuilding the shocks (a question almost every ACR owner has faced), I was told by a "very reputable person" that it was impossible. WRONG AGAIN. GO TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT 200 DOLLARS.

The shocks can be "rebuilt" for a fraction of the cost of new ones. I believe about 400 bucks a shock. One of the guys on here actually WORKS FOR DYNAMIC SUSPENSION. He has lots of data and information. The process involves disassembly and installation of a small valve. Not a big deal. You ship the shock out, and they rebuild it.

I don't know any information on this specific car, but I can tell you this........that is one rare ride.

You will never have that cost of repair on this vehicle unless it is trashed. These cars are made to last. They are easy to repair. While most people write a check to repair their car, some actually repair it on their own. Everything is easily accessible. The repair manual is great. Super easy.

My guess is that you will need new tires and potentially an evaporator for the underpowered AC system. (can be expensive and hard to get). Maybe a brake job. A power window motor (most likely the passenger side). Flush your fluids.

The REAL cost is the ACR wheels. They are getting tough to find. Don't screw those up. Also, when replacing tires, get someone who knows what they are doing. You can screw up the wheels very easily. Spend the bucks and get it done by the most careful shop there is. Throw money at them. Tell them you will give them a great tip.....just don't screw up the wheels. No marks. Works like a charm.

If you want a normal Viper, get the boring red. Maybe splurge and get a yellow. :D

You asked for an opinion, I will give it to you. If it fits your budget, get the car.

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put regular GTS shocks on my ACR.... no problem.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no no.

Sorry. Let me say it again.

No no no.

Please do some searching on the website here. There is so much misinformation about the ACR shocks. It is shocking. (Pun intended).

Were you responding to my post just before yours ? I just wondered what specifically that I am mistaken about. I don't mind being set straight if I'm putting out wrong info, I just need to know which was wrong so that I don't give someone else bad advice.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AXTVR - the no no no was not for you. It was for the high cost of replacement shocks (and need for them) that I was responding to. Your comments were spot on....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR - the no no no was not for you. It was for the high cost of replacement shocks (and need for them) that I was responding to. Your comments were spot on....

Thanks. I guess that the cost of rebuild would be considered high by many people that will be buying a Gen II ACR nowadays. The shocks are overkill for most applications people will be using it for unless they become ******** track rats. The people that want to really reach the limits in racing a Viper on the track are probably buying the new generation ACR.

But, like you say, since the shocks are already on the car, I believe that the cost of rebuild, when it comes time, is still considerably less than buying new, similar shocks, like Penskes or Motons .

Old Timer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am the owner of the car in question (2001 GTS ACR Sapphire Blue). mlamert890, the original poster of the question, was absolutely obsessed with the shock issue. On the day after he expressed concern about them, I had them inspected locally. The rt. front and both rear shocks showed slight "weeping" on the shafts, but no "running" oil whatsoever. The lft. front was dry. It was discovererd that both rear tires were worn on the inside parts of the tire so I ordered replacements from TireRack which will be delovered to the shop this week. mlambert890 backed out of the deal and the car is back on the market (see in VCA classified). The car is being listed at $41,000.00, firm.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there you go. Sounds about right.

Fantastic price....WITH NEW TIRES ON THE REAR.

Good luck with the sale, although I don't think you will need luck. A steal if you ask me.

Old Timer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks...I would have thought that the car would have sold very quickly but I'm afraid that this economy is making people a lot more cautious about making a large dollar commitment at this time. Perhaps your comments will spur some interest. Thanks again.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there you go. Sounds about right.

Fantastic price....WITH NEW TIRES ON THE REAR.

Good luck with the sale, although I don't think you will need luck. A steal if you ask me.

PERFECTLY stated PL !

BTW, Great color & limited production ACR too :2tu:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question from a non-car owner:
Are there QA1's that fit the Gen1 and Gen2 vehicles?

I know those are adjustable, rebuildable and 'reset'-able.
SLIGHTLY less than $12,000 for a set too. :)