anyone on here a Gen 5 tech?

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope. Not here. Sorry MoparBoyy, but us Viper guys are impressively realistic and down to earth. You'll need to log on to the Mercedes-Benz web site to find individuals convinced that they know all things about all subjects. Sorry.

You gotta love German engineers ;) Overconfidence the world has never known. Until they hit a racetrack. For the first time, usually.

Sorry for my distraction... In the mean time, do you have a more specific question or concern?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one. Are Gen V batteries "deep cycle?" How long can an owner go without plugging her into a tender? I dont believe in battery tenders becuase I feel they are fire hazards and its an inconveience to plug in and out. I plan to use my Gen V as a Sunday driver putting 1000-2000 miles on her annually with use at least every 7 days. Is it safe given my anticipated use to let her sit in the garage unplugged for 7 days and still expect her to fire right up?

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one. Are Gen V batteries "deep cycle?" How long can an owner go without plugging her into a tender? I dont believe in battery tenders becuase I feel they are fire hazards and its an inconveience to plug in and out. I plan to use my Gen V as a Sunday driver putting 1000-2000 miles on her annually with use at least every 7 days. Is it safe given my anticipated use to let her sit in the garage unplugged for 7 days and still expect her to fire right up?

Thanks in advance.

they are not deep cycle, but they are much better at not killing the batter than all other gens. and you can put it in hibernation mode if you really choose too, but should easily last 7 days without it. winter.. well you'll wanna throw it in hibernation and should be good to go.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problem with this. I just fired my 2008 up today for the first time in over 3 weeks and it started right up. I have never used a battery tender but did replace the battery after 4 years ( 1 year ago) even though I had not experienced any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the response. I doubt I'll need to replace in 4 years as I dont generally keep cars that long. I feel confident that I should be safe given my intended use without a tender.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about Gen V, but Gen IV has a sleep setting for storing it for longer periods of time.

Many Vipers are for occasional use only, and owners have come up with lots of ways to keep them ready to go.

There are millions of battery tenders in use, and I have not heard of reported fires from them, however I understand your concern.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul how does one utilize the sleep setting? What time frame is it intended for? sitting over 2 weeks?

Is the battery in the rear of the vehicle?

Beny1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below is what you should be looking for. It's from page 117 of the owners manual of the 2013 Viper.

Vehicle Hibernation
Press and release the UP or DOWN arrow
button until the Hibernation icon is highlighted
in the EVIC. Press and release the RIGHT
arrow button to activate the Vehicle Hibernation
Mode, which minimizes vehicle battery drain while
the vehicle is being stored.

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good questions about battery life.

Mister Viper uses a Battery Tender on his Gen 4 car if it is parked in the garage for any length of time (more than a few weeks). Perhaps I have owned too many older cars with questionable batteries long ago!...so I plug in often, whether I need to or not.

Knowing that Vipers are often stored for extended periods (especially in the upper midwest, or Canada), we put an easily activated "Hibernation Mode" on the Gen 5 car. This will turn off most all electronics (but saving your radio presets, etc), to prolong battery storage life. This battery saving mode is selected using the EVIC butttons on the steering wheel, and is really easy to find. Select it and turn it on. The car will then 'go to sleep' (after you get out of the car), until you open the driver's door again (months later), when the car will 'wake up'. This is similar to the storage mode that was on the Gen 4 car, but in 'the good old days' (sorry Herb!) without modern electronics, the engineers had to ask you do crazy things to tell the body computer to shut down (like cycle the key 4 times and hit the door lock switch, if you hear a honk, then you know it is activated and hurry up and get out now!). With modern computing power aboard, we can avoid this silliness. On my Gen 4, I have to go look up the Hibernation instructions every year as I always forget them by the time Thanksgiving in Michigan rolls around. On you Gen 5, you don't have to remember some crazy hibernation mode activation sequence. Nor will you, by the way, forget to notice how light and fast the car is when you drive it! (sorry, off topic here...)

(thanks for listening guys. SRT Engineering appreciates your time and interest; we hope you'll appreciate the results of our hard work!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang