Anyone run 3.73 gears with Hoosier R6 tires?

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that 3.73s are to much gear for street tires, but I was wondering if they would work with really sticky tires like the Hoosier R6s? Anyone ever tried it?

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 3.55 in my 2006 coupe and since I don't drive in rain I have the Hoosier 19" A6's on the rear .

My Viper has a DLM SC and with the 3.55 and A6's it runs straight as a arrow and has very little spin and no fish tail in any gear. Amazing performance.

The R6 has a little harder compound but one would be able to get more miles. I may consider getting the R6 when I need new tires. But oh the A6's are a great sticky tire.

Never had the 3.73 but probably the gear would work ok especially with the very sticky A6. But I don't think I would want to go with this gear on my Viper set up.

Last edited:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The A6s don't need time to get sticky, the R6s need heat in them to come up to temp and be effective. Hiss, props for running an A6 on the street, they never get cut?

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had one problem with the A6. Depending on how I drive;) - I think Ill get about 6000-7000.

SD SRT-will the Viper be driven every day in all kinds of weather? Do you plan to do any auto cross road race or drag.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3:73 gears on my 04. I love them Best gears on the street I think using all gears is sweet. 18.5 mpg on the highway crusing 70/75mph. Still running my run flats but there almost done. I wonder what tire would be a a better match.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is just a fun 2nd car- what tires would youall recommend?

I think PS2s or Perelli PZeros are your only choice in Gen 3 sizes, both with a 220 treadwear rating. Kuhmos & PS Cup tires come with a 60-80 treadwear rating which is better but I do not believe you can get the rear sizes.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
IMHO, 3.73's or 3.55's are too low for supercharged cars. Sticky "slick type" tires will help but don't get caught in the wet.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Hoosier R6 tires in the rain and has anyone found out how many miles they will last under normal , no burnouts, driving?

Robbie

OP
OP
S

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not had one problem with the A6. Depending on how I drive;) - I think Ill get about 6000-7000.

SD SRT-will the Viper be driven every day in all kinds of weather? Do you plan to do any auto cross road race or drag.

The car never sees rain- only used in nice Southern California weather. I don't race, but I will do some "spirited" launches/acceleration from time to time. My car puts just over 500 to the wheels, so I would think that if I can get 3.73s to hook it will be an extremely big improvement over the current setup.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's not so much the rain that I worry about with slicks on the street. I've been caught a couple of times in over-flowing planters where sprinklers were left on far too long and the street is very wet for several blocks. Talk about uncomfortable. All of this in So Cal during the summer!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can make some related comments base on my Gen II experience. My bolt on mods hopefully get me to more than Gen III power so my car is no forced induction monster, but my 3.55 gears with my stock height 18" wheels/tires equal the same effective overall ratio as a 3:73 would in your taller-tired Gen III. I am currently runng Kumho V700s on the rear and I know these particular tires were never available in 19" (hear they are gone in 18" also now :( ) but if you can run Hoosiers or perhaps Toyo does the R1 in the Gen III fitment (they recently released Gen II sizes) you Gen III guys are going to be abslotuley amazed how different a car a Viper with short gears and sticky rear rires is. Simply amazing transformation compared to stock gearing with Pilots. Night and day. You can even give it some throttle going around corners! :smirk:

OP
OP
S

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can make some related comments base on my Gen II experience. My bolt on mods hopefully get me to more than Gen III power so my car is no forced induction monster, but my 3.55 gears with my stock height 18" wheels/tires equal the same effective overall ratio as a 3:73 would in your taller-tired Gen III. I am currently runng Kumho V700s on the rear and I know these particular tires were never available in 19" (hear they are gone in 18" also now :( ) but if you can run Hoosiers or perhaps Toyo does the R1 in the Gen III fitment (they recently released Gen II sizes) you Gen III guys are going to be abslotuley amazed how different a car a Viper with short gears and sticky rear rires is. Simply amazing transformation compared to stock gearing with Pilots. Night and day. You can even give it some throttle going around corners! :smirk:

Throttle while going around corners!? You mean tail-out drifting right? You surely can't mean throttle, while the rear remains planted- I don't believe thats possible!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throttle while going around corners!? You mean tail-out drifting right? You surely can't mean throttle, while the rear remains planted- I don't believe thats possible!

I didn't say ALL the available throttle! :omg: But WAY more than with Pilots that is for sure. ;)

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm installing some hoosier 345 30 19 a6's on a 2003 paxton supercharged srtc with 3:73's this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Todd
A&C Performance

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
That guy's got to like shifting to put 3.73s in a supercharged SRT.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UDLUZ--you will like the A6-I tried different tire pressures and like 27lbs the best for my set up. If I go on short trips I put in 29-30 lbs.

You really need 3m installed especially on bottom area of rear fenders. The tire has such a soft compound that it picks up those little rocks like mad. If you don't do the 3m the bottom of fender will look, in short order, like its been sand blasted.

Its hard for me to put into words how the Viper performs with this tire. Absolutely no fish tailing in any gear. Amazing tire.

I had the run flats and went to Pirelli P Zero 18' & 19". They were very good tires but experienced tire spin and fish tailing unless I warmed them up quite a bit. The A6 needs very little if any warm up. Still using the Pirelli on the front.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got caught in the rain a few times(once I drove 60 miles back home) and with extra careful driving everything was ok.

Don't know how the R6 would perform-I know it would not be as sticky and heat up as quick as the A6. Be interesting to see the difference in performance. I think I will try them for the next tires. But wow is that A6 a real tire-unbelievable performer on dry pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skycranekid