Anyone try the Stealth Plate from Hightechspeed?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you referring to the plastic license plate covers that appear to have a smoke tint? They look like crap!

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was referring to. Thanks for telling me they look like crap. Glad I didn't waste $140 on it. Thanks

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not a smoked tint cover. It is clear and when voltage is taken off, it tints where it can't be seen through at all. It should be 100% legal in any state in the clear mode. The motorcycle covers are avalible and the auto covers should be out soon. No I am not affiliated, but I do have one on order for those times I need my tag covered.....you know like when I am making pictures.....because I would never street race
smile.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried them - I work there
smile.gif

It's not the ones that ACR Joe is referring to - it's a different animal. It's a clear cover that is electronically controlled so it can go clear or opaque depending on whether the switch is pressed.

We had some hangups on parts, but we resumed shipping last week on them. I've been in New York at a show since early last week but the remaining orders will be going out today, tomorrow and Wednesday.

A few guys have been VERY patient waiting and I thank them very much for that... I have a special treat for those guys!

As for anyone else interested... we try to be customer service oriented. To that end, I will ALWAYS take anything back with no restocking fee if you're unhappy for ANY reason. We have some pics and video on the site - what you see is what you get. At the show in NYC, alot of folks were asking "ok, I see the demo - but what does it actually look like"... I had to tell them that what they saw WAS the product. It's counter-intuitive to see something white that goes clear so quick - it doesn't register the first time - but when you see it a few times, it sinks in
smile.gif

Tony - THANK YOU!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brunton,

Thats an awesome product you have there. How about a website or a PM. On a more serious note, 'who are you kiddin' if you put one on your Viper?'
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Jay K.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY!!!!
wink.gif

Actually, we were at the bike show in New York this past week, and everyone was in awe when they walked by. We had this group of NYPD officers walk buy and stop and some murmuring was heard between them. About an hour later, one of them came back and asked me to step aside.... I'm getting worried and he says "we were just talking and we'd like to order some - can I get a discount on 10 of them? We didn't want the sargeant to see us buying 'em so here's my card just ship them to my house". Too funny! We also sold a few to an official from the American Motorcycle Association and 2 to a gent from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

A lot of folks question whether they are used for bad things - personally i don't see a bunch of criminals saying "well we're agreed to hit the bank... now as soon as we can order some items from hightechspeed, we'll be golden!". I know lots of folks mentioned use for the speed pass at the toll booth... hey, to each his own - I won't lose any sleep if the state loses some dough there. Most of the guys buying use 'em when they hit the track (liky my Vette friend who got his warranty denied after he was seen racing on film), and lots of the motorcycle stunt guys use them when they film in parking lots, etc.

It's a neat product. We sell less than most people think - but they sure do draw attention at shows, etc.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
In California it is against the law to put any type of cover on your liscense plate. Clear or unclear. I got a ticket 2 years ago for having a clear cover on my rear plate.

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused. Does it stay foggy the whole time and only clear when you hit the button or clear the whole time and foggy when you hit the button. From what I read I thought it fogged up when you press the button. Thats why I thought it was so cool. How long does it stay fogged for?

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has used one of the stealth plate covers either on their bike or viper. I clicked on their advertisement the other day when I was on this board and just thought it looked pretty cool. I emailed them but had no response back. I know your not suppose to use them on public roads and their is really no point to them, but wanted to know if anyone had any opinions to them.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
you know like when I am making pictures.....because I would never street race
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe...what is this...street race...of which you speak?
wink.gif

Sounds pretty cool if it does the trick - reminds me of a friend from my HS days who had a toggle for all of the rear lights on his '66 Mustang. If he ever snuck up on a smokey taking pictures he'd kill all the tail lights and punch it...and from the way he made it sound back then it was always in grand Dukes of Hazzard style too.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Few years back, California was testing for polluters on metered on ramps to the freeway. They would sniff your car and take a pic of the rear. I didnt want that to happen so I rigged a door lock actuator and a piece of cable to a flip down type license plate holder (this was not on my Viper, it was on a 80 El Camino), I just flipped a toggle switch and the plate would go down, flip it again and it would go back up....
This stealth plate cover would have saved me alot of work :), it would be great for tolls as well.
What is the website???
Cheers,

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner - been so busy lately and dont have much time to check the site
frown.gif

The plate is electronically controlled. There is a power unit and a control switch. The plate is connected to the power unit as is the switch. When you press the switch, the plate goes opaque (a milky white color) and a red indicator light comes on to let you know it's activated. When you press the switch again, the plate goes clear, and the light goes out, to let you know your plate is again visible.

The plate stays milky white until you again hit the button - it's activated by pressing the button, it doesn't have any sort of timer than makes it go off again, etc. It's impossible to photograph through the plate when the unit is activated - the old "invert to a negative" photoshop trick doesn't work on this one.

The website is www.hightechspeed.com. We're a Viperclub.org advertiser and we give 10% off to Viper folks - just mention it in the order comments.

Thanks for the interest guys. If anyone has questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]. We'll also be at the motorcycle shows in Daytona and Miami, and possibly Chicago and Cleveland if you want to check out any of our products in person.

Thanks Viper doods!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

When are you and the product in Chicago? Are you guys going to be at the World of Wheels or the Chicago Auto show?

Cheers,

Jay K.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

It's possible (although 50:50 right now) that we will be at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago on Feb 7-9 at the Stephens Convention Center. I say it's 50/50 because I have to be in Detroit the week after and Daytona 2 weeks after that, so I don't know if we have any people at the office who can make it.

If we don't, I will keep you informed of when we'll be close so you can check it out. Otherwise, we have a dealer in Akron, OH (is that anywhere near you?).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala