AP Engineering trunk top issues

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recieved my "trunk top" for my 2000 RT several days ago. The fiberglass and latches are really nice but the rubber gasketing is awefull.
I spent several hours setting eveything up right and I can still see through into the interior where the black window/door frame rubber gasket meets the top. So it's obviously not rain tight.
The gasket on the top that follows the contour of the front of the side window looks like it was pieced together from a few types of rubber and doesnt look good at all.
When closing the right door with the window up the front corner of the window seats on the outside of the gasket instead of into the channel.
With either door, the windows wont go into the channel properly when rolling them up.
I plan on calling them up on monday and maybe returning the top but wanted to hear from some other AP trunk top owners first.
Thanx, Mike.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Jeff is all about customer service and I have never heard of someone that isn't happy with that trunktop. He will make it right.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Jeff is all about customer service and I have never heard of someone that isn't happy with that trunktop. He will make it right.

+1

My top needed many adjustments, and even had to go back to Jeff to tap new holes for some hardware latches since each car is different. It was a pleasure to work with him, and I've never dealt with a more stand up guy (other than Chuck and Jon B, of course!). Give him a call. My top is pretty tight, I have to say. Not weather-proof, but much better than the soft top. The gaskets were no problem on my top, and have loosened up a little to make the top installation a breeze. Good luck,

Craig

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Mike.

Give me a call and we'll see if we can't get this top to fit your car correctly. Worst case is a return for refund.

Thanks.

Jeff

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately give Jeff a chance to help you adjust it. I know my top was a bear to get seated correctly, but I still think it is one of the best purchases I have made for my viper.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Mike, did you ever call Jeff? He makes awesome Serpents and hardtops and your situation is definitely out of the norm. Don't just drop a thread and not follow up.

What's the latest on your situation ?

Jay K.

OP
OP
M

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just called AP today and I'm waiting for a return call from Jeff. I've been really busy but have spent a few hours adjusting the fit. In general it fits great but the rubber seal is just not right. The windows don't sit well in the rubber seal when I lower then raise them. And when I shut either door especially the passenger side the glass sits on the outside of the rubber instead of in it.
Even if all that was straightened out the exposed rubber doesnt look very good near the front of the side windows. It was made from a few pieces of rubber and the adhesive looks like it got on the exposed surface and melted the rubber a little. It even made a small hole on the passenger side.
Jeff sounds like a really nice guy, very customer oriented. When I ordered the top he assured me if I wasn't happy that I could return it.So when he calls I'm going to ask him to take it back. Mike

OP
OP
M

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff called me back shortly after my last post. He told me to send it back if i wasn't happy. Although I feel bad about returning it, I'm going to. That top really transformed the car. I dont like the look of the stock top after seeing the AP top.
Mike

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you email some pics back and forth to show Jeff the issues? I have met him quite a few times I am sure he will go out of his way to make it right even if it does mean doing a return for you. It is the top i would own if i still had my RT

His top is THE best looking hard top for the RT i have seen !

Form and Function in one package

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind. All Vipers are different. I have a "Diamond Back" hood for my Gen 2. The guy that installed and painted the hood has also done three other Diamond Back hoods. Everyone was different. One hood went right on, no problem. One needed moderate work and mine... well lets say it is as close as possible. It took a lot of adjusting. My point being that the hood was built from the same mold but fit each car completely different. The guy that does my alignments also has done a lot of Vipers. He uses a state of the art laser machine. He told me that you wouldn't believe the difference in the cars.

Anybody that has done a lot of work on these cars will tell you that each one is different.

Jeff built a custom "comp coupe" roof for my Street Serpent coupe. After seeing what was involved with that, I'm sure it is probably an issue of adjustment. If you like the top, Jeff will make it right.