Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Immediate Release

Photo Release - Archer at speed at Laguna

October 16, 2005

Archer Third at Laguna

Wiens Sixth and Out

Monterey, Calif. ? 3R Racing driver Tommy Archer finished in third place today in the final round of the SCCA Pro Racing Speed World Challenge GT race held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Archer’s finish secured second place in the drivers championship, 242 points to Cadillac driver Andy Pilgrims 248.

In a caution filled 45-minute race, just eight green laps, Archer was able to move up consistently with every restart. Trading paint was the order of the day as the major manufacturers represented in the series had their top cars running at the front and fighting for championship honors.

The pivotal moment for Archer was the restart on lap 14 when the Duluth, Minnesota based driver was able get beside Angelelli’s Cadillac coming down into turn 11. Angelelli defended the position, but Archer stood his ground. On the final restart in a first turn melay, Henzler’s Porsche was shoved aside and Angelelli was able to repass and go to second

“I lost count of the amount of times that I got hit,” said Archer. “It was a busy and hard eight laps, the guys at the front all were driving for something. We had a good car, I wish I had about 10 more laps to prove it. We ended up losing the championship by six points. In hindsight if I had my ten back from the penalties I would have won by four. I have never lost a championship on penalties, which makes it tough.”

Teammate and team owner Tim Wiens drove the wheels of his the number 3/FirsTier Bank/3R Viper from his fifteenth qualifying position to come home in sixth for his last time behind the wheel in competition. “I told the TV guys that I was going to leave my shoes on the track, they are sitting on the main straight. It was an action packed eight laps. I was able to stay out of trouble and make up places. We had a good car today and sixth is a satisfying result for my last race. I was able to finish in the top ten in the driver standings. Tommy had a lot of issues this year and ran a strong race, but we just came up short. The 3R team is strong and we are looking to come back next and finish one place higher in the championship and get the number one plate back.”

Speed GT Top Laguna Finishers:

1. Max Papis - Cadillac
2. Max Angelelli - Cadillac
3. Tommy Archer - 3R Viper
4. Andy Pilgrim - Cadillac
5. James Sofronas - Porsche
6. Tim Wiens - 3R Viper
7. Leighton Reese - Corvette
8. Mike Davis - Mustang
9. Tony Gaples - Corvette
10. Lawson Ashebach - Porsche

Speed GT Final Point Standings:

1. Andy Pilgrim - Cadillac - 248
2. Tommy Archer - 3R Viper - 242
3. Robin Liddell - Porsche - 214
4. Wolf Henzler - Porsche - 210
6. Max Papis - Cadillac - 188
7. Leighton Reese - Corvette - 166
5. Stu Hayner - Pontiac - 158
9. Tony Gaples - Corvette - 154
8. Lou Gigliotti - Corvette - 150
10. Tim Wiens - 3R Viper - 143

3R Racing Viper Competition Coupe Weight and Restrictions for Laguna:

· Base weight 3,100 lbs.

· 35% air restrictor

· Archer R.E.W.A.R.D.S. weight is 165 lbs.

3R Racing would like to thank sponsors c3controls, Sirius Satellite Radio, FirsTier Bank and partners Red Line Oil, Performance Friction brake pads, Ron Davis radiators and Dodge Motorsport.

For more information or photos, please refer www.3RRacing.com

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched it live on Speed... Looked like a fricken demo-derby! Woodhouse got taken out in the first lap... Sad to watch all the carnage, and they only really raced a half dozen laps or so...

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant't believe the cadillac's were even in the running. I was there and they were the loudest and fastest cars on the track. I guess my next 4 door "mom & dad coup" will be an STS Cadillac.
Mom never needs to know whats ben done under the hood. I was impressed ! Tommy Archer was a bull keeping pace with those factory boys. Sad woodhouse was taken out on turn 2 by a crash accident. Allaya racing kept in the pack at 10th position but passing was difficult with so much competition and the "best of the best" to run against.
Rob

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty shity what those “factory boys” did to the porche team. It’s becoming more of a team sport than an individuals sport. By that game McCann and the other Viper guys should of taken out a few Chevy’s to give a hand to Tommy. I was pissed.

I would love to see some DC money going into this sport with the new SRTC to promote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang