Are 1.7 rocker arms worth the expesne for power increase?.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed headers but it was not much difference from the stock header in the regard to power which many people told me this would be true.

So now I need an opinion on the 1.7 RR worth.

Thanks

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99 R/T 10 has a set

[/QUOTE]

The 1.7 roller rockers normally pick up between 10-20 RWHP, depending on the car. New Mopar(T&D) rockers still in the box for $850,

[/QUOTE]

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never gotten any where close to the RWHP that has been claimed by owners on this board. Are the roller rockers easier on the engine, Yes. Do they p/u the HP people claim, no. Spend the money on the rear gears if you want to acually "feel" a mod.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with a SC, yes, they are definitely worth it. Not just the added lift, but the precision of lift whereas stock rockers aren't that precise with their rocker ratio.

with your setup (roe 8lb blower) you should see some significant gains. remember that gain are always magnified when a blown application applies...

JD

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People often exaggerate HP claims. When confront them about their claim they get mad. Adding just a componant does't mean that you will get as much as hp as the manufacturer claims. There are three very important factors when you talk about HP: temperature, humidity and fuel quality. There are other factors too but these 3 can change easily from one day to another.

Headers are usually expensive compared to the HP gain. Borla claims something like + 10-30rwhp.

Rockers are more interesting compared to the hp gain versus $$$. You will maybe get 7-15hp.

As Joseph said when you are superchared gains are more important.

In your case, the most important staff to increase your HP is your VEC2. You have to be very familiar with its tuning to pull the max hp from your add-ons.

I can easily pull 602rwhp with a 6.5lb pulley and the right tuning. Think about the three factors that I talked about and you will understand it.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt rockers alone would gain 10 to 20hp but they are more precise than your stock rockers. I like them because I know each cylinder is getting the same lift. The Vipers stock rocker ratio is 1.6 and I've heard that production stamped rockers can vary as much as 1.4 - 1.5

The truth would be if you decided to go with 1.7's you would gain the following

99 cam has a advertised lift of .542 both intake and exhaust

Take .542 divide by 1.6 then multiply by 1.7

Your cam would now equal to a .575 lift (in theory)

Some people have done just the Intake side to 1.7(where lift is needed the most) and kept the exhaust at 1.6

If you are figuring in cost don't forget you will have to buy new push rods too. When you are changing the geometry like this the stock ones will not work.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did rollers before putting on my Roe SC on my previous GTS. For a street car, a complete waste of money in my opinion. Cool to have, but performance "gain" was negligible.

No argument they are more "precise" and maybe the engine revs a little bit better (but that's a BIG maybe).

I've been to the drag strip a few times and a couple of road course events, but I definitely considered the car a "street car".

New (to me!) GTS also has a Roe and I won't be doing RR's... ~10 HP on top of ~600? Never see it, never feel it and darn tough to measure it!

S

SUN RA KAT

I did MOPAR Performance T&D Roller Rockers after putting on my Roe SC on my 2002 GTS and I and my Viper Tech could easily feel the increase in power. Not a huge increase, still easily felt. I already had the Belanger headers, Random Tech metal substrate high flow cats, and Corsa 3" cat back. The blue MOPAR Performance T&D Roller Rockers are slightly different in the plain T&D rollers in that the pushrod length does not change.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious too, so I installed a set on a car after a baseline dyno run. Left the car strapped down, installed+adjusted them, ran the car back up to temp, and redynoed it - without taking the car off the dyno. +13whp on a stock 96 GTS. Pretty much as controlled experiment you can get.

You decide.
Dave.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious too, so I installed a set on a car after a baseline dyno run. Left the car strapped down, installed+adjusted them, ran the car back up to temp, and redynoed it - without taking the car off the dyno. +13whp on a stock 96 GTS. Pretty much as controlled experiment you can get.

You decide.
Dave.

Yes it was.

Fairly good gains considering no tuning was done, what was the torque difference? And how did the graphs look next to each other? Meaning gains below/past peak.

Thanks

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are guaranteed a gain with RR's.
You have less parasitic losses with RR's over the stamped rockers alone. Not even taking the additional lift you get with the 1.7 over the stock 1.6.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put my Jesels on. COMPLETELY subjective, but I notice a very smooth response, and a very smooth idle. And, when I step on it, a clear kick a$$ boost in acceleration. But, I combined this with smooth tubes, and Green filters.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that people forget about _any_ changes they make with cars... the tuning.

Do headers add HP because they flow better? Or because they flow better and lean out the car ever-so-slightly getting a more optimal AF ratio?

With rockers, same valve, more lift. Is the power from the car being leaned out is it the actual rocker doing the job? or both?

The most controlled experiment would be to do the baselines, dyno-tune an AF and then make the change and check AF. Then make sure the AF on the re-run is identical (which it may or may not be). Then you get the real scoop on performance gains.

Just my .02...

JD

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you gained 15 hp as was mentioned, you probably gained more at lower rpms on the curve. If you match up points on the hp curve you will find certain rpm points that the increase is far greater than what you see at peak hp. The cost per hp is probably one of the best investments you can mke on our cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang