Are heads and cam a popular mod for Gen II?

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the HP per/$ spen on heads/cam mods? Is it worth it? How much HP can one expect?
Thanks!!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a dyno meet and a kid had an acr with some of Greg Goods heads (I think they were his) he dynoed over 500 HP at the wheels. I think for the money a blower is the way to go unless you want to be NA. It all depends on what ELSE you plan to do.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blower or turbo is the way to make the most hp for the money. Forced induction is full time power.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are my results before and after heads cam. I still have stock headers and did not mill the heads any and also went with a very mild cam for a future forced induction product. So I was real pleased with the power the car made with my Heffner heads and j.hen.es.ey cam. Got an incredible deal as well.

You must be registered for see images

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Morys cyl heads are dyno proven to provide 61 RWHP who can beat that. Plus add a cam and you will easily see plenty.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here were my results before and after heads and cam (with exhaust upgrade)....the interesting thing I always look at is the mid-range and low-end improvements in power and torque. Everyone is so overly concerned with high CFM flow numbers that they forget what happens to the mid range and low end as a result....I remember toning down the porting during the R&D process. Sure we may lose 10hp on the top end (570rpms+), but we gained a ton in the mid-range. I am one of the few here that are against getting max flow cfm numbers. I spend much more time driving the car at 3500rpms than 5800rpms....

Many cars have stock or less than stock numbers up to 3k-3.5k rpms. I would not be happy with that. Look at how much low end and mid range we gained with the right combination of heads and cams.....

Enjoy!
HEADS, CAMS, and EXHAUST (BEFORE AND AFTER)

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff Morys cyl heads are dyno proven to provide 61 RWHP who can beat that. Plus add a cam and you will easily see plenty.

I agree, I just got JM's Stage 3 heads thanks to Mr. ProRacer, along with a cam. Had Macedo Motor sports (M2) do the install. my car dyno'd 549rwhp and 568 rwtq and it had never been driven yet. I assume I will gain a few more once its all broke in and computer is use to new airflow.

I had a SC with stock motor, then sold it and went with heads and cam. Its the best.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lethal Viper,

Am I reading your graph correctly? It shows you gained 175 RWHP and 138 RWT with only heads/cam/exhaust. HP was 397.4 before and 572.5 after. Torque was 441 before and 579 after.

If this is correct, can you give us more details as to ballpark cost and parts used? Those numbers are really impressive.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume most of the heads done are milled. What would one think the difference in hp would be with a stock deck height vs. one lower .030?

Anyone have any data? I was thinking maybe 15-20 rwhp???

Any idea what rwhp I will gain with headers and 3 inch exhaust? I am hoping to be around 540 with my mild cam.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't realize our cars responded so well to a head/cam upgrade. I wanted to stay n/a as it'll see track time whenever I get the chance and don't think a blower producing even more heat on an engine that puts heat out like a furnace will work well on a track lol. How's reliability for example with a head/cam upgrade (besides of course exhaust and headers, tubes etc) on the track? I'd probably end up with only a mild head/cam upgrade, nothing too radical, not looking to push the limits of a head/cam upgrade.

Main reason I'm staying n/a, considering a stock Viper can break traction at will especially in a turn, a car putting out 800rwtq in a turn doesn't sit well with me :p :D :eek:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had Jeff Morys modded heads and his cam recommendation on my Gen 1, 540+HP 575 Ft Lbs Trq.

Jeff knew what he was doing! Full time power, reliable mod! :2tu:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much are you guys paying for labor on a heads/cam swap? That would seem like the biggest negative if you have as much ******* in labor as in the parts themselves.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
doesn't BTR gurantee 100 rwhp with the best heads and cam package. Because it did just that on my friends car.

Tom does have some kind of performance guarantee. 100 rwhp on a car with a full exhaust should be easily attained with a good set of heads, ported,polished and milled and an aggressive cam. I got 77 rwhp on mine with stock headers, mild cam and standard deck height on the heads.