Are the "Archives" gone for good???

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you mean the "Archive Management" forum, its working fine for me. I skipped ahead to page 50 and still opened the threads with no problem. Anything specific I can look up and email you?

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! From 10/7/2000 they seem to be blank.

I did find this reference by JonB on 1/29/01:

"This is a PERFECT example of "The Year Matters!"

1) You definitely need to BURP your motor of trapped air.
92-93 radiator caps are BELOW the coolant in the block. Taking off the cap while the car is parked flat 100% guarantees coolant backflow and trapped air.

2) SOMEWHERE on this site are my complete burping instructions...

3) 1992-93 Temp Guage is 'overly sensitive' and was re-calibrated in 1994 onward.

4) Your T-stat is probably not involved in this problem.

5) You may e-mail me directly as well

JonB PartsRack"

THANKS for trying, Chad !!

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"Well, when all else fails, look in the book".

So, I dug into OUR archives...a 4 inch thick notebook containing various "Viper board" posts from the 1998-2000 era...Zaino, tires, wheels, brakes, VOI's, fluids, frame problems, tuners, etc.
All I can say is that there was a TON of useful info in those old posts!!! It's certainly more than just "a shame" that all of that material seems to have been lost...or worse, deleted.
Anyone have any ideas??

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's certainly more than just "a shame" that all of that material seems to have been lost...or worse, deleted.
Anyone have any ideas??
Yep, look harder. :D They are on the home page under "Communications>Forum Archives". There was no way to recreate the original posts in this forum (totally different software format), so that is where we have kept them for years. As to any gaps, we are missing five months from 1998 (somebody has them somewhere - we just don't know where), and apparently there is a gap somewhere more recent according to an earlier post. We will look into that.

Happy browsing! :2tu:

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris.

I followed your suggestion, and found (examples):

Volume 5150000-50999September 24 '99 - October 1 '99Volume 5251000-51999October 1 '99 - October 12 '99Volume 5352000-52999October 12 '99 - October 20 '99Volume 5453000-53999October 20 '99 - October 26 '99Volume 5554000-54999October 26 '99 - November 4 '99Volume 5655000-55999November 4 '99 - November 12 '99Volume 5756000-56999November 12 '99 - November 20 '99

However, every volume link that I selected gave me this message:

"Sorry, your page was not found

We are currently reorganizing the web site, to improve what we have to offer you. The page which you were searching for no longer exists.
Please stay tuned as we continue to improve the site."

Any suggestions???
Thanks, again,
Steve

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange indeed. I will check with the programmers and make sure they get it fixed as quickly as possible. Sorry about that!

Edit - I was just told the reason and it is a good one: The archives are in a format that show ALL e-mail addresses for people that posted. Rather than have those online and open everybody up for spam, we are in the process of manually editing the addresses out and then uploading them again. Sorry for the delay...

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I can't even guess how much work would be required to do that type of editing!!!

Thanks for investigating, will check the site periodically.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With MAJOR thanks to two and half people, the archives are ready to go:

1. Don Boston, who got the vast majority (if not all) of the e-mail addys out of the archives, and then uploaded them. For those that don't know him, Don is one of our two resident programmers here on the VCA site and a longtime friend of the club. He was even a past regional president in the VCA and knows the club very well. Be sure to check out www.bosdev.com for all your website needs. I know we do!
  2. Marv Spatz, who was able to track down that major gap of missing posts and get them to Don. We have been asking around for a couple years to all the folks that built the site over the years. And nobody had them. Should have known that Marv (our very own VCA Grailkeeper) would have them. And now you can too!
The "half" is to ViperTony for offering to help do all the editing of all the archives. While Don was able to get them done for us, Tony made the offer to take on that rather daunting task. So thanks for the generous offer sir - maybe next time! :2tu:

So here are all the posts from the early UBB years of the forums - there are some doozies:

Click here for the Viper Club of America Forum Archives

We hope you enjoy them!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Based on the archives my first post using that level of soiftware was 5/28/98. I believe I was on some earlier version prior to that but am not certain. Too long ago! Any way to change the join date to at least include the a known post?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Based on the archives my first post using that level of soiftware was 5/28/98. I believe I was on some earlier version prior to that but am not certain. Too long ago! Any way to change the join date to at least include the a known post?
Ask and ye shall receive good sir! While we enter the actual day (and even the time if available), the current software shows only the month and year. Yours now shows May of 1998, so it's a start. You will find if you read the very first posts that there didn't seem to be much of a forum prior to that. I think Jay Herbert had the Registry site up before that (and am hoping he will chime in here) but without any sort of bulletin board. Good stuff!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you. And yes there was some other software. I cannot remember if it was an AOL site or something but it was crude. It was on dial up back then and it was SLOW.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the Car & Driver - Viper forum?

Thank you. And yes there was some other software. I cannot remember if it was an AOL site or something but it was crude. It was on dial up back then and it was SLOW.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the Car & Driver - Viper forum?
the more I think about it the more I think it was the early days of the viper registry. I do recall that there postings of tech service bulletins available, which probably would not have been available on the Car and Driver site.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine