Asps in Jasper

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post may seem redundant as it appears in "Driven", but I thought it would get a little more exposure to the target audience here, as well there are some new details. Rooms are booking up, so don't wait until the last minute! Please take the time to read through and post any thoughts or questions you may have.

For those unfamiliar with the event, it will take place the weekend of July 27, 28, 29 and Monday the 30th. (thanks Rizzo!)

Friday morning: head out of Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton (roughly simultaneously)the plan is to all group up in Rocky Mtn.House and head towards Jasper en force. If opportunity presents itself for lunch along the way well stop for a bite. Once in Jasper, check in at the hotel: http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/alberta/jasper/coast_pyramid/overview.html
For a reservation number, contact me.
Here's an option for those who dare for Friday afternoon, a bit late in the season, water levels may be low.
http://www.whitewaterraftingjasper.com/sunwapta.htm
Other than that, free time for all Friday afternoon, we'll meet up for a cocktail in the lounge at 5PM or so.

Ice Fields Parkway drive on Sat., lunch along the way, 4 to 5 hrs total, give or take. http://www.explorejasper.com/sights/athabascafalls.htm
Some free time in the late aft then drinks/dinner for as many drivers and spouses as possible, there will be a reservation at The Embers steakhouse for 6PM, we'll have time before hand for a drink in the bar side. There will be a special menu for us, or you can order off of the regular menu. I had the best steak I've had in years here in March, and I can't wait to get back there.

Maligne Canyon (short drive from Jasper) early Sunday morning, leaving hotel by 8:30, breakfast on your own prior to departure to ... Maligne lake, where we'll be making the boat cruise (a 90 min. round trip) This will be courtesy of the VCA! First boat out is 10AM, we need to check in by 9:45. http://www.malignelake.com/cruises.html
I'm going to need to confirm the number of people coming very soon to ensure we get the first boat out.
Sunday afternoon will be free time for everyone. There are tons of things to do in and around Jasper, or just kick back and relax. Dinner at the hotel in the Pines Restaurant at 6PM.

Monday will be optional, breakfast, check out and find your way home. Group going to Calgary leaving 9ish. We can figure this out over the weekend while there.

It's going to be a great time, the more Vipers the better!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few rooms remaining, don't wait until the last minute folks!;)
It's going to be great. I'm hoping that a few from Edmonton will come along and can head out with my brother from there. His e-mail address on the W.Canada regional site is incorrect, if anyone needs it just PM or e-mail me.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say right now that there is a 90% chance we will be joining the group coming up from Calgary. Unfortunately, it will probably be sans Viper, as we do our annual 2-week drive with our sons to Jasper every summer around that same time. 5,500 miles round trip from Kansas City. Kinda tough to pack a Viper for that kind of drive for four people. But we are thinking about it...

Regardless, I will bring a good camera for some great shots to submit to VIPER Magazine. I will also see about getting a few bucks from National approved to buy breakfast or something for the group. Two dozen doughnuts or along those lines. ;)

As for Saturday, in addition to the Falls we would recommend the Columbia Icefields (http://www.columbiaicefield.com/) for something VERY different. With those cheeky Americans warming up the globe at a record pace, this opportunity won't last forever. Also good for a photo opportunity with the Vipers next to an Ice Explorer:

You must be registered for see images

No worries, they have a couple of these parked WELL below the snow line for photo ops! :2tu: We have been doing this trip for several years and have explored a lot of the area "attractions" and side roads. We would be honored to join you.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent....maybe I will see you up there Chris! I will be coming. It is 100 degrees here in Havasu today and this summer looks like a hot one. I have not been to Jasper since I was little so I am stoked and will be driving the viper all the way and I bet it is further to Jasper from Arizona than from Kansas. Bob

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet it is further to Jasper from Arizona than from Kansas. Bob

Don't put too much money on that bet Bob. According to Mapquest:

Havasu City, AZ, US to Jasper, AB, CA - Total Est. Distance: 1716.16 miles
Overland Park, KS, US to Jasper, AB, CA - Total Est. Distance: 1891.09 miles

No worries, I tried Google Maps too:

Havasu City, AZ, US to Jasper, AB, CA - 1,701 mi (about 1 day 2 hours)
Overland Park, KS, US to Jasper, AB, CA - 1,874 mi (about 1 day 5 hours)

Now to see if I can figure out how to get the Viper up there too... :2tu:

:can1:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I will have to redirect my route to find a couple of hundred extra miles to prove you wrong:drive: I am going to have to see that bad boy your are driving now so figure away to get it up here. Bob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg...just being redundant. Reservation confirmed on my credit card. Will see you in Calgary and will post updates a the time approaches for the drive. Bob

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are all booked up at a neighboring hotel. Looking forward to seeing everybody there! And yes Bob, I will bring the color plates with me... :D

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats good news Chris , excited to hear that:2tu:
Looks Like you will be eating for free there.
I said I would buy you dinner and Bob said he owed you one too.
Its gonna be fun can't wait :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exciting stuff indeed! Don't forget to have your regional president submit a stipend request to National for up to $500 to offset some of the group costs (boat cruise, Columbia Icefields, etc.). You already have multiple regions invited and attending (Western Canada, Arizona, & Kansas City) so all you need to do is make sure the form is submitted ASAP. You snooze, you lose! :D

Very excited to see everybody up there and hope I can figure out how to get the Viper up there as well. 5500 miles round trip makes it a bit of a challenge...

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, Chris. I'll contact the pres. today to get this stipend thing rolling.
8 weeks to go! It would be great if you could get your car up here, too! If not it looks as though Dr.Bob will take long distance!:D
Don't forget your camera, Chris. Everyone is looking forward to some magazine coverage!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, I will hold you on bringing the color plates......I may have to buy a coupe too. Eddie Martin, the Viper tech from Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix picked up my viper today....he drove up on a Saturday to get the car....so new tires, fluids, brakes, and whatever else is needed to have a safe trip to Jasper. Remember...Chris....I get to buy dinner as a show of my appreciation for dealing with all my requests. Bob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5500 miles is nothing....I am going to head west after Jasper and go to Seattle...Victoria.... and then south down the 101...great coast line...Napa...fine wines....French Laundry.....San Franciso....see my goddaughter and home....it will be somewhere north of 6000 miles for me.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,

I need a hotel for Thursday night in Calgary...maybe a Hampton Inn or the like. PM sent.

V

Venomiss

It's getting warmer here in KC and the clock is ticking down. Looking forward to the cool glacier drive. Can't wait!:drive: :drive: :drive:

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A though decision for sure. Hard to justify bringing two cars, but hard to be up here with us without the V! Is towing it up an option?:dunno:
I don't envy having to make the call on that one!

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were booked solid, now someone has backed out, so back to one room avail., this one happens to be one of the better of the two types of rooms. Any takers?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am ready. Heat advisories all over the West...it hit 125 here yesterday.....ridiculous....time to buy that condo I was looking at in Green Lake/Seattle. Got the viper back from the viper tech in Phoenix...new tires, brakes, hoses, windshield wipers......cost $5140:omg: :eek: Coming to Jasper...priceless.:drive:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we will be driving TWO SRT's up there: The Viper and the SRT8 300C. Anybody care to name a rendezvous time/location in Calgary for that Friday morning? We will be coming in from the south to the west of Calgary. I seem to recall a nice pull-off overlooking a lake with a large power plant on the other side. All on the north/westbound side of Highway 1. Just want to make sure we hook up with everybody after those first 1800 miles or so... :D

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lisa (she is 6' 1" btw!) and I got married in Jasper, at Pyramid Lake on the small island. It's 10 minutes or so from the Jasper town center. These pics were taken exactly 10 years to the day (in October 2005) when we visited there last year to celebrate our 10th anniversary, along with other pics last year to share..

Crap, I just read this thread! Wow, would we like to go!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doctor Bob: Wow! Sounds like you're prepared! Were you a boy scout growing up? lol:D

Y2K5SRT: Fantastic! :2tu:Glad to hear you'll have the Viper up here! I know the spot you're talking about, but were heading another way. Are you staying in Calgary on the Thursday night, or? Check your PM for details.

2000 Black RT10: Great pics! You've certainly captured what it's all about out there. You are welcome to attend, of course it's a bit short notice, but there is a spot avail.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, not enough vacation time this year, must be fun especially an opportunity to drive around the mountains in a Viper.

18 years ago we drove from Windsor up to Alberta, down to Victoria. I remember putting 13,500 kms on the GMC, good trip down through the US also, Mt Rushmore, Montana, N & S Dakota, etc..

Have fun. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21