Asps in Jasper

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent Asp Man from the planner......;)
Getting ready!
Yep, turns out I have no clue what we are actually doing. I just pay for the gas and drive one of the cars... :D

Oh, and some more pictures to whet your appetite - some we shot last summer during the same week of July/August:

06drive.jpg

06lake.jpg

06bridge.jpg

06sheep.jpg

06flowers.jpg

06glacier.jpg

06lake2.jpg

06bear.jpg

06road2.jpg

06lake4.jpg

elk2b.jpg

06lake3.jpg

06drive2.jpg

And even the buses had interesting features (look underneath):

bus.jpg

And you could always count on a good sunset somewhere...

06sunset.jpg

See you in Rocky Mountain House that Friday morning!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic pics Chris, oh do I envy the trip, be sure to post them when you return.

Here's a couple scans from our original trip out there, no we didn't try to feed the bears. We actually had a closer grizzley encounter back then, my wife and I took a drive up to see the falls, but the road was closed due to snow. We parked the truck, and proceded to walk the rest of the way. We were walking along the snow covered road, came around a corner and we both stopped, we saw a huge butt of a grizzley facing the other way about a 100 ft ahead, we slowly turned around, quietly back around the corner, and ran back to the truck like crazy people.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT: Fantasic pics! I can just imagine a bunch of Vipers in (or getting in the way of!) that scenery.

2000blackrt10: A close call with a Griz is not soon forgotten. I came across one while mountain biking a couple of years ago, not near as close as that but how close do you want to get?

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never made it as a boyscout....but when you are doing long trips, I always like to be prepared. Chris, have you made your travel plans....I am heading up interstate 15 with maybe a side tour to Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks. Maybe I can cross you path on the way. I am staying at a Hampton Inn recommended by Greg. Will be in Calgary Thursday night. Bring color plates. Bob

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dearest Dr. Bobert -

Color plates are already in the center console of the Viper. We will be driving both up (SRT8 & SRT10) and leave in about 30 hours to head west. Glacier National Park is on the agenda for a few days going up and Yellowstone for a couple coming back. If you haven't been to either (or both) let us know and we will fill you in on all the best places to go: We have been going to both parks for almost 20 years now and Jasper for the past 5 or 6...

We will be in Rocky Mount on Thursday night - the same place we meet everybody coming from both sides on Friday morning. I'll PM my cell phone...

See you SOON!

C

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent all night up with a potential surgical emergency. The past two weeks have been unbelievably busy and I have been up day and night. My office is not going to like it but I am going to move my Monday morning patients and look at getting out of here a day or two early. I have your cell and you have a pm. I will give you a call if I am in the vicinity. Bob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The decks are cleared. Will try to get the heck out of here Saturday or Sunday at the latest. Chris, will be heading for Glacier asap and try to hook up with you early.Bob

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay gang, here is the $64,000 question: Where in Rocky Mountain House are we meeting? I think we said around 9:00 AM, but RMH is a town and not a single destination. Also, the illustrious and worldly famous PIMA (doctorbob) is going to also be coming up from Calgary that morning and wondered if you would be passing up by Lake Louise on Highway 93. It appears you are going north on 22, which is outside of the mountains and not as scenic. It doesn't appear any of this weekend goes near Banff, which has us very curious. The good doctor may opt for the more scenic route if it is not already in the plans. In other words, if he ain't there by 7:30 AM don't wait for him...

Anyway, we leave tomorrow from our undisclosed location and will be in Calgary Thursday with a couple of us heading up to Rocky Mountain House that same evening for our rendezvous on Friday. We need only confirm the route and the meeting location in RMH.

Looking forward to a GREAT weekend with our fellow Viper owners!

Chris

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
undisclosed location.....hmmm

I thought I heard a report today that someone released some extra "bubbles" in the hot springs in Banff....pure coincidence I'm sure.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Husky gas station on the main drag. See you there around 9.
The reason we're taking the 22 and not the 1 to the 93 is to aviod traffic and trucks. If Dr.Bob wants to go that way it's up to him, though it would be more fun as a group...
I'll call you in the AM when we're coming up on RMH.

PS Banff, smanff. Tourist trap and too busy, nowhere to park/eat etc. As well, the "tree hugger/granola cruncher" factor is off of the scale there.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope all you have a great time and please keep posting the details of this tour, I've always wanted to drive out west....just never got around to it yet. My Dad is from Bear Trap, Alberta so it would be a fun tour to do with him in his Prowler.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it's all over, all of the planning, anticipation and waiting were worth it. A sigh of relief that things went as well as they did!
What a great weekend, a great bunch of people, fantastic weather and of course a great bunch of Vipers! I hope I got around to thanking everyone who came out to make this past weekend the success that it was.
:usa2:A special thank you to Chris and Mary Marshall, and the boys, for all of thier help throughout the weekend. :notworthy: Thier wealth of knowledge about the area really made this an event to remember. I've not met a more genuine and warm family, it is a true honor to call these wonderfull folks friends. I cannot thank them enough.:2tu:
:usa2:As well, Dr.Bob from AZ, thanks for making the long distance drive, and for the AZ region T-shirts for everyone.:headbang: That was most generous. I think everyone really got a kick out of that! Reciprocation on the way as soon as we get some made up for the western Canadian region.
Thanks Craig (region pres.)and Gail Sanford for making the trip up and for all the help in the planning stages, especially for getting the word out to the members, as a result the turn out was great! It was great to see you both, as we haven't met since Kelowna '05. Hope to see you in a couple weeks when we come through Kelowna on the way to the coast.
To everyone else who made it out, thank you. It's obvious, but we couldn't have had such a great event without all of you.
Stay tuned for pics, there are tons of great shots. From a '94 R/T 10 to an '06 B&W SRT Coupe, we had it all! The scenery is incredible, too! With luck, this was the inaugural "Asps in Jasper Tour".:D

Greg.

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few pics from the weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

At a road side turn off near the Columbia Ice Fields.

At Mailgne Lk.

On the glacier, bottle filled with the best tasting water there is, right from the source at picture right.

Athabasca Falls.

Family of Elk near the hotel by Pyramid Lake.

A Deer strolling through Jasper one morning.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice pics and impressed with the number of Vipers, must have been a unique experience involved with a convoy of Vipers winding through the mountains. The scenery is astounding, remembering wanting to stop at any chance for a photo.

If you have any pics of Pyramid Island / Lake?

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it's all over, all of the planning, anticipation and waiting were worth it. A sigh of relief that things went as well as they did!
What a great weekend, a great bunch of people, fantastic weather and of course a great bunch of Vipers! I hope I got around to thanking everyone who came out to make this past weekend the success that it was.
:usa2:A special thank you to Chris and Mary Marshall, and the boys, for all of thier help throughout the weekend. :notworthy: Thier wealth of knowledge about the area really made this an event to remember. I've not met a more genuine and warm family, it is a true honor to call these wonderfull folks friends. I cannot thank them enough.:2tu:
:usa2:As well, Dr.Bob from AZ, thanks for making the long distance drive, and for the AZ region T-shirts for everyone.:headbang: That was most generous. I think everyone really got a kick out of that! Reciprocation on the way as soon as we get some made up for the western Canadian region.
Thanks Craig (region pres.)and Gail Sanford for making the trip up and for all the help in the planning stages, especially for getting the word out to the members, as a result the turn out was great! It was great to see you both, as we haven't met since Kelowna '05. Hope to see you in a couple weeks when we come through Kelowna on the way to the coast.
To everyone else who made it out, thank you. It's obvious, but we couldn't have had such a great event without all of you.
Stay tuned for pics, there are tons of great shots. From a '94 R/T 10 to an '06 B&W SRT Coupe, we had it all! The scenery is incredible, too! With luck, this was the inaugural "Asps in Jasper Tour".:D

Greg.

Very well put Greg , What a great weekend and what a bunch of wonderful people we met. Could have never imagined meeting such friendly ,easy going people .A pleasure to be able to call them my new friends. And Chris he just kept me laughing all weekend with his intellegent wit and humor . What wonderful kind hearted family he has . Mary , Steve and Greg were a blast to hang out with along with everyone else . Thank God for Vipers and the comradery that it brings .

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was an AWESOME time meeting all you guys - and gals! I will provide a LOT more details and some more pictures from the drives when I get home. We are still road-tripping, having just crossed the Canada border a few short hours ago. Next stop: Yellowstone National Park. I would post more pictures, but don't have good photo-editing software on this PC. I need to edit out some license plates and do some cropping for best results. In the meantime, another decent shot from one of our stops - the bird was a bonus! :D

DSCF8893-1.JPG

Again, thanks to ALL for a great time - I promise to expand on our end of it when we get back!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We look very much forward to your pics, Chris & Mary...and your experience...what gorgeous scenery, can't get over it!!! We definitely will HAVE to go there someday~!
Your car as always looks gorgeous!!! An EAGLE in the picture????? (hope it's not a turkey vulture!!) Thanx as always, Chris, for including all of us in your ventures~juli

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made it to Seattle finally with a few side trips in the middle. I wish to thank Greg and the rest of the Western Canadian viper club members for hosting such a great event. I will not be back to Arizona for another week so pictures from my end will have to wait.

P.S. Chris.....I am at 4000 miles so far with this trip.

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doctor Bob, you're most welcome! On behalf of the region, and myself, thanks again for making the trip and of course for the T-shirts! It was great to meet you. Glad to hear that you had a good time and hope your trip is continuing as planned.:drive:

AFL in NJ: That water is simply the best, I only wish that I had taken more of it!:D

A look at my windshield:mad:, as you can see it was pretty near the centre.
...and the other big hit, my wifes' toenails!:D

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOVE the toenails!!! Sorry about the windshield tho...PIA!~! Glad you all had a great time, sounded and LOOKED like so much fun~~~juli

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it is Sunday evening and I have to go back to work tomorrow. The official trip miles...this is for Chris is 6174 miles for the whole thing. I will think about pictures sometime this week for the posting.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, it is Sunday evening and I have to go back to work tomorrow. The official trip miles...this is for Chris is 6174 miles for the whole thing. I will think about pictures sometime this week for the posting.

Sorry I missed you in person, and hope our local wheel shop was able to help get you on your way quickly...... Look fwd to Jasper Pix.....so longs as Chris' ugly mug is scarce

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about writing one of those "Chris Marshall" specials.....about ten pages long with photographs to boot and I do have some pictures of Chris....but since he is a moderator....I will not be abe to post them and survive....HA....He did show me the proper way to avoid a moose when it is coming towards you....run like he** the other way. Thanks again for the wheel. I plan thank you formally in another post.

V

Venomiss

DoctorBob,
Chris has been swamped with work and Viper business since we got back but promises he will post plenty of pictures and the story of what a great time we had. In the meantime, he asked me to post this picture of the moose. Hope you enjoy. ;)

moose2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21