ATIsuper dampner, who's running one with a paxton?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgradeing mine. They have a super charger version that is to be used with a key'd crank. How would one key the crank without pulling the crank out of the motor? What tool would you use?

Another question...aside from the bolt coming loose has anyone had the stock dampner fail?

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this mod too. Not the keyed one though. This was a great mod on my Vette. Very quality product.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
only way to key the crank is to take it out. the balancer can be pinned though while its still in the car. take your time and go slow and it can be done relatively easy. and pretty much any S/C car should have it.

OP
OP
I

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping there was a simple way to key the crank. I've got the paxton pins in place now but they are pretty small...I may as well step up to the ROE pins if keying it is going to be too much trouble.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My engine was out when I did my ATI dampner. It has two large keyways and seems like a lot more then the pinning of the crank. My factory dampner had spun some and cracked.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was hoping there was a simple way to key the crank. I've got the paxton pins in place now but they are pretty small...I may as well step up to the ROE pins if keying it is going to be too much trouble.

The roll pins that roe offers is the next best thing to use other than keying the crank. Paxton pins will shear if you bump the power up.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgradeing mine. They have a super charger version that is to be used with a key'd crank. How would one key the crank without pulling the crank out of the motor? What tool would you use?

Another question...aside from the bolt coming loose has anyone had the stock dampner fail?

1. We have run ATI's with many cars, be it forced induction or not. Very high quality pieces.

2. We generally do not run the "Blower Drive" ATI's. We use the NA version, and add the keyways via EDM machining. If needed for a Blower car, we change the inner threads from 5/16 to the larger blower drive 3/8 size. This is more expensive, but I have never liked the multi-piece + spacer configuration of the Blower Drive assembly, and it also gives us the ability to place the keyways in any position, count, or configuration we want to.

3. There is a way to key a crank with it in the block, though it requires a lot of specialized tooling to get it done. Your best bet would be to approach a local machine shop, preferable one who specializes in making tools, and tell them your exact issue. They should be able to set you up with a guide and cutter assembly that can cut a keyway from the side of the crank (bottom of the car). It will likely require removing the timing cover and oil pan, but thats a hell of a lot easier than pulling the crank to do it. I have considered producing these tools, though it has a limited application as most cars we put blowers on have the engine out anyway, and the cars which are getting basic Paxton setups arent really at the limit of a pinning setup yet. It also has a fairly high level of possible damage from misuse, and a high price tag to boot... not an easy sell.

4. Yes, the stock balancer can separate at the damper "ring" section that separates the inner and outer damper- It will create quite a mess if it gets loose at high RPM. We have also seen one damper crack at the crank hub, popped about 1/3 of the hub off at the snout/damper pressed area.

OP
OP
I

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the input on this Daniel....I'll see what I can come up with on getting some tools to do this....also nice pics of the customer cars on your site.

I thought there was a picture of a cracked stock damper floating around this site a while back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960