ATTENTION: ALL Viper Owners...PLEASE...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

PLEASE by SURE that you have TWO FULL sets of keys (TEST to be SURE that they work for YOUR Viper), and TWO fully functional key fobs (TEST to be SURE that they work for YOUR Viper)...AND, consider carrying YOUR spare key(s) and fob with you each time you go anywhere in your Viper. (and YES, I carry spare batteries for said fobs).

It is far easier to lock your keys in your trunk (all years of roadsters and convertibles), in the "hatch" area of coupes, or in the Viper's cockpit (Gen II, III, and IV) than most people realize. Many (or MOST) of us have been locked out at one time or another...so you might want to benefit from our mistakes rather than test the system yourself.

While there are some non-damaging "tricks" that can help in certain situations...there are some more troublesome "solutions" in other years and models...and that assumes that you can find someone who can/will help you.

If this sounds a bit like a lecture...it is...but it is offered in good faith solely to make YOUR Viper ownership more pleasurable and hassle free.

Plan ahead, be prepared!!!

(Moderators...is there any way we could make this a "sticky" in the Gen I & II and Gen III & IV sections??? Thanks!!)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hmm, in 8 years of ownership, I have never locked my keys in the Viper. But I guess there could always be a first time.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, in 8 years of ownership, I have never locked my keys in the Viper. But I guess there could always be a first time.

Me neither, but I will be sure to be anal about having the keys in my hand before stepping out of the car.

Good reminder though, looks like you may have had a bad experience lately. Details?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I jinxed myself a few weeks ago. I went to Starbucks with my wife and said while we were inside "I should bid on that fob on Ebay in case this one craps out...I'd be up sh*t creek." Go outside and lo and behold the fob doesn't work. Luckily it was just the battery and I walked into Target and got a new one. I was still used to the RT and ALMOST reached in the open window to open the door but I'm glad I didn't. I would have been standing in the parking lot with a non-functioning fob while my car alarm went off repeatedly.

This is probably a good idea; my car only came with one set and this my excuse to get a second one.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....Duh....

My thoughts exactly... how about a sticky about always having gas in your Viper? Or better yet a sticky about NEVER changing the oil while the engine is running. :lmao:

Steve- Just ribbing ya... so tell us what happened. I remember a thread here some time ago about a guy that started his car and locked his keys inside while idling. Now THAT'S a good story! :rolaugh:

Found the old thread: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...s-locked-car-running-need-immediate-help.html

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur though I have never experienced it myself. However I have been witness when it happened to another owner at an event.

One thing to remember is any dealer can cut a key for a small charge in an emergency. It can be a valet type so not an expensive blank.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve you are right, lately we have had tooo many threads on people loosing their keys.

Yeh sounds kinda silly to have a sticky on it right?

"Whatever it takes"!!!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the factory alarm turn off when the key is inserted and/or turned to the ON position?

No. The car will not run either.

On saturday I popped my hood without unlocking the car. The alarm went off. I had no idea how to shut it off (no manual). So I opened the hatch & emergency opened the door, then started the car, which died about 3 seconds later while the alarm was still going off.
Eventually I figured out how to shut it off, but it had gone on for about 5 minutes.
Oh, and it was at cars and coffee. :lmao:

Nick

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive done it in the RT/10, Had a spare set of keys with me too, guess where they were!!!!! In the camera case....in the Trunk! My master set of keys were in my jacket which I also put in the trunk and closed the lid!!!! :(

Then this year in the GTS, I stopped at a Gas station, left the key in the ignition, left passenger in the car and started to fill car with gas, my passenger then got out of the car and the central locking kicked in :omg: Luckily the window was not completely up, I managed to get a stiff piece of wire and release the emergency door latch! ;)

So there you have it RT AND GTS!!!! It happens :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As silly as this thread sounds to many, I'm glad to see the interjection of some humor along with the other tales.

I'll add two stories of my own: Once I was asked to be the "road service" for a dealership whose "good customer" was locked out... with one set of keys in the car, and a spare set of keys "somewhere". After driving an hour, it took less than five seconds to get in. "Customer" was happy.

On another occasion., a dealership's "crew" locked both sets of keys/fobs in the boss's SRT-10...easy one; asked parts to make a key from the VIN, used the hidden keyhole and some "hip" on the door. Don't forget to lube and "cycle" this key
hole regularly!!!

These things can happen to any of us at any time...but, in a twisted way, said tribulations bind our group together! Folks helping folks!!

By the way, for you electrical wizards tracking abnormal battery draw (ignition off draw test)...lower the windows before closing the doors, and starting the "fuse pull" steps...as when you disable the door opening switches you can be in a real jam on a GTS with a full roll cage!!!

P.S. I really hate to see trunk locks drilled out on Gen I's and II's...there ARE easier ways to get in !!!

mhill1950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked in the manual , but I do not understand the "emergency door " release .I have not seen any posts on it ? thanks

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the NY Club had the opening at the Hawaiian Tropic restaurant my fob wouldn't work hardly at all because of RF interference...thankfully Dimitrios was there who knew a few tricks to make it sync again.

Regards,
Aaron