Autoform GTR wing installed - finally! (pics)

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After dithering around for several weeks, I went ahead and had a body shop install my new Autoform wing. The wing is now on and looks great (in my admittedly biased opinion), and I can't wait to get out to the track and start dialing in the adjustment on it. This wing is the same as comes on the Autoform Daytona cars, and I've seen it on a number of Viper Days racecars as well.

A few words on the wing itself: It arrived shipped in a wooden crate, extremely well secured. Mine came painted Silver/Blue from Autoform, and the color match is pretty much perfect. The wing has the same forward sweep as the Archer carbon fiber wing, but is thinner so that I can still open my rear deck lid. The mounts are about 8" high, so the wing doesn't bisect my rear view mirror - in fact I can barely see it. The quality is excellent, both in build and paint. The wing itself is so light that I can lift it with a few fingers. The mounting hardware is extremely rugged, and in fact weighs more than the wing. I would highly recommend this Autoform product, I'm very happy with it.

The only thing remaining is the covers for the uprights, which were delayed in shipping. However, the install looks good without them as well, so I went ahead and took these pictures early. Interestingly, the "cut-template" for the uprights is exact enough so that there's almost no gap between the uprights and the holes cut in my rear deck - the install looks finished even without the covers.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently, I have the wing set neutral so as to not provide much if any downforce. Because of the way the car is set up, oversteer is more of a problem, so I'm going to take it to the track and see at what point the wing balances out the loose in the car. Once that's done, I'll look at adding a front race splitter - I already have some side splitters that are not mounted.

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB at the Parts Rack carries all of the Autoform wings, or you can order them from Autoform directly. One particularly nice option is to receive it painted, with stripes - saves alot of hassle. My shop charged me 8.5 hours for installation, though Autoform says that they can put on in in around 5 hours. The wing is mounted very securely to the frame - it feels rock solid and won't be going anywhere.

To install it, you will need to remove the taillight cover piece and cut two slots in your rear deck. I expect that a reasonably handy (and confident) owner can do this without too much fear, but since I needed to have some other work done anyway I decided to have my body shop just take care of it for me. The template instructions for cutting the slots were very accurate - even without the color matching upright trim pieces you can't see a gap between the uprights and body.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform sells the front fascia/splitter combo from their "Daytona" package that goes with that wing to balance the car. It's a quality piece - they do very good work.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Andy!!!!! Thanks for the Pics. Now go out and post some more video of you passing vipers. Well all except me that is!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte