Autoform Hardtop Gen 1 Head Clearance?

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if someone who owns an Autoform hardtop on their Gen 1 could post the height from the back of the driver's seat cushion to the inside of the top with the seat in the most forward position. Also mention whether you have a seat lowering kit. I emailed Autoform and all they would tell me is that it adds 4" of headroom. I race my car and need enough room for my helmet. I checked first with Vipermania but it's 3" too low even with my 1" lowering kit. Thanks.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How tall are you? I had the Autoform top in my old RT/10 and I am 6'. With no seat lowering I could still fit with my helmet. Unless you are like 6'2+ you should not have a problem.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if someone who owns an Autoform hardtop on their Gen 1 could post the height from the back of the driver's seat cushion to the inside of the top with the seat in the most forward position. Also mention whether you have a seat lowering kit. I emailed Autoform and all they would tell me is that it adds 4" of headroom. I race my car and need enough room for my helmet. I checked first with Vipermania but it's 3" too low even with my 1" lowering kit. Thanks.

35" measured straight up, seat in the most forward position.
I dont have the lowering kit and I'm 6'1". I have driven this car at tracks with open helmet.
It's a tight fit, but possible.
Let me know if you want other measurements.
I think Frank Barba was driving his old track car with Autoform top several years.

OP
OP
L

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements. I am 6'2". While sitting on the floor against a wall, I measure 40" to the top of the helmet. Unless I recline the seatback, it looks like I'm stuck without a hardtop. Fortunately, I have the Autoform rollbar but it would be nice to have the insurance of the top if things get wet. The soft top is, of course, too low. Plus, I'd get a little nervous going down the front straight at Willow Springs.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your aviatar is You...Your helmet is just under your rollbar. The Autoform Hardtop clears the rollbar, you will fit. I'd add the Hardtop and lower my seat if you really think that you are going to have issues.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be tight without a seat lowering kit. I have had no problems but I am 5'9" and with a full face helmet on, I have around 4 inches to spare.