AutoGuide on HP Situation Viper & Challenger Hellcat

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B ob since your in Florida instead of talking on your computer wy dont you let me Gen 5 tested so you can see EXACTLY what iam talking about .BEFORE you come up with a laim excuse they are not going to break your car .Over the years MANY VCA EX (includ PRES Joe Houss )have had their cars
run. I know you prefer to TALK on your computer instead of going to the track but Bradaton is literally minutes from you .Lets hear the excuse now Bob
PS Evan has NEVER run a GEN 5 He will only run it a few times (ice it thoughly between runs ) to see if he can pop a 10 second run totally stock .You can also take a few runs (just to compare )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy you two dinosaurs going back and forth.

I propose to settle this argument with a test of speed at the upcoming VOI in Texas. It might be on an autocross, drag strip or even on the magnificent COTA (would be hard to pull off)

It should be a run what you brung Viper, and the loser has to buy the winner a beer.

Wonder if you guys might actually like and respect each other in person, without the forum pressure to win an argument...take it to the track.
Paul seriously if some of the members can talk Bob into letting the mags test his GEN 5 past history dictates it always works out well for both the car and the VCA because of the publicity it generates .In 98 we had Dan Blacks DLM car RAN (at the time fastest true street car EVER TESTED by Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford ).IN 98 they ran my Gen 2 in a fastest true street shootout In 2001 they ran Joe Houss Gen 2 against a Z06 for Super Chevy IN 2000 ran a stock Gen and recorded the fastest time ever stock dom car (11.7 )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps the driver doing the testing moonlights as a test driver-consultsant for Ford on such projects as the FGT ,Cobra Street and dedicated drag car Almost every stock production car record he holds (including 2013 Cobra FGT ZR-1 Z06 Gen 2 Viper Gen 4 Viper )he has NEVER sat in a GEN 5 but did run an 11.2 in my stock Gen 4 It would be really interesting to see what it is capable of (10s hopefully totally stock )

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer but my TA is not for drag racing and will not be used for drag racing. But your idea is a good one and should be done with a base SRT model. Florida would not be a very good place to do the test since it is already in the mid to high 80s with increasing humidity. But, if someone who has one in Florida will let me drive it at the next PBIR private track rental put on by Brooks, I would be glad to test their car myself. I think it would take the first 3 or 4 runs to get the launch technique perfected and then, with good weather, a sub 11 second run should be possible. Nine ball already showed us that a 10.9 second run was possible in, if I remember correctly, in 50 degree weather. He can chime in to correct this data if needed.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer but my TA is not for drag racing and will not be used for drag racing. But your idea is a good one and should be done with a base SRT model. Florida would not be a very good place to do the test since it is already in the mid to high 80s with increasing humidity. But, if someone who has one in Florida will let me drive it at the next PBIR private track rental put on by Brooks, I would be glad to test their car myself. I think it would take the first 3 or 4 runs to get the launch technique perfected and then, with good weather, a sub 11 second run should be possible. Nine ball already showed us that a 10.9 second run was possible in, if I remember correctly, in 50 degree weather. He can chime in to correct this data if needed.
Evan is saying IF the car truely is making 40 more than a Gen 4 EVEN in Florida it should run low 11s (when he ran the 11.2 in my Gen 4 that was in the summer in NJ )The offer stands the only thing i can promise is he would take upmost care absolutely no hotlapping ect

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks already ran an 11.1 at PBIR this past January in a base SRT. It was a "marketing" car with drag radials on it. It was not a fresh car. As stated, the TA is not for drag racing. It is a road racing vehicle. See if Evan will take someone's base SRT model and test it. That would be interesting to all of us.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brooks already ran an 11.1 at PBIR this past January in a base SRT. It was a "marketing" car with drag radials on it. It was not a fresh car. As stated, the TA is not for drag racing. It is a road racing vehicle. See if Evan will take someone's base SRT model and test it. That would be interesting to all of us.
The above times i quoted Gen 4 stock tires = 11.1 drag radials is 11.4 on stock tires .Jamie Furman ran 10.9 on stock tires in a 4. Evan ran 11.2 in my Gen 4 stock tires .As i said curious to see IF the 5 truely is making 40 hp more As of this point Mopar Perf Mag has not been to hot to procure one (way overpriced for their avg reader )them in Florida not NJ much harder to fing a private owner car

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see side by side quarter times with the Gen V GTS and the T/A

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see side by side quarter times with the Gen V GTS and the T/A
Basically never notice a difference as its totally in the DRIVER In the Gen 4 the Coupes were SUPPOSED to be slightly quicker but the fastest times ever recorded totally stock stock tires (NO MUFFLERS DELETED ECT )were coincidently by Jamie Furman (10.9 )and Evan Smith (11.2 ) Both Gen 4s were Verts .Both trapped near 130 mph on sea level tracks (VIR and Englishtown ) He (Evan )tested my Gen 4 twice both during the summer months .The car was run with under 1k miles on it for approx 4 runs each of the 2 test sessions .It was iced between runs (not hotlapped )but was never ridden out of the hole either (i didnt want the clutch beat on to get that one tenth )If anyone wants to see probably the BEST VIPER -VETTE DRAG RACING driver in the country on stock tires they should google Jamie Furman runs 10.9 in stock Gen 4 Viper .Furman ran 10.7 in a stock ZR-1 and what may be even more impressive a 11.5 in a stock Gen 2 He also popped a 10.9 in a stock Z06 .Smiths best runs were 11.77 in a stock Gen 2 11.1 in a stock Z06 ,10.9 in a stock Zr-1 and 11.0 in a stock Ford GT The crazy thing is that he ran the above times with almost 0 seat time in the models listed .In my Gen 4 for example he had absolutely no seat time in the car (didnt know how to start the car and his first four tuns were 11.4 11.4 11.3 11.3 )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS in regard to the Gen 5 IF it truely is making 40 hp over the Gen 4 with a better rear axle ratio (drag racing )in the hands of a pro level driver on a sea level track its got to see 11-0 to 11.1 on 80 degree day or something aint right .The power to weight rastio is very even to the ZR-1 and i know Jamie (Furman )runs 11.0 flats all day long in his Zr-1 in 75 to 80 degree weather at Vir

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time i listed was for a car that was 100% stock .The tires were stock .The front swaybars were always connected .The mufflers were stock and in tact .No check engine lights were on No upgraded air filters of any kind were used .Alot of times the defination of TOTALLY STOCK VARIES CONSIDERABLY One time the internals of a guys mufflers were missing (because he liked the way it sounded better )which is fine but the car is not stock Another time somebodys front sway bar mysteriously became disconected which again is fine but its no longer stock

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad thing about this whole challenger Hellcat thing is why....WHY would SRT build a challenger with soooo much more HP and yet comes up with excuses why it didn't do it with the Viper and left a lot of Viper fans unhappy and unwilling to buy the new car.

The excuses from SRT were just that. Excuses. Unless this is an ironic situation where the 2015 0r probably the 2016 Viper comes up with some 700+ HP, its a sad day in paradise when you allow the pilgrim to hold the throne for a day. Whether its faster than the Viper or not,, its got a bragging right that only Cars of the Viper's magnitude should only possess. Period.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to say something profound: SRT needs to build a Viper that looks radically bad ass...aaaaaand maybe bump the horses up a ****** hair.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV's that were turning those fast quarters were all convertables, which are lighter than the Gen IV coupe. What are the fastest verified times for a Gen IV coupe?
In regards to the axle ratio and HP bump, the first gear ratio was made taller to compensate; the gen V still gets to 62 in 1st gear iirc, which is great for publishing 0-60 times, but not so great for drag racing; no improvement was made from gen IV to gen V.
Also, according to feedback from Nineball, the clutch is a weak link when using the Gen V as a drag racer; if you can't get the power to the wheels, you might as well not have the extra.
The Gen V also has wider wheels/tires than a Gen IV, which means a higher moment of inertia, which requires more torque to accelerate at the same rate.
Bottom line: the Gen V was not engineered for drag racing, and there were some compromises made because it was not engineered for said reasons. If you're really serious about drag racing anyways, who cares if your car's stock? Last time I checked, the cars never come from the factory with a driver either way, which makes more of a difference than a lot of things you guys are bellyaching about.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Scat Pack?
could be installed pre-dealership for those who order custom cars from the factory
could be available in stages
but would have to retain factory warranty somehow.

The Scat Pack was a name from back in the days of innocence when *** meant happy, being blown meant supercharged, and it was ok for guys to walk around eating a banana.

In 2014, I'm not certain calling an option list a Scat pack is a great idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456