Automobile Mag: Snake & Stingray... stop with all the hate

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he said stop all the hate... The only thing I could think of..

You must be registered for see images

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't hate the vette; I just like making fun of it and I appreciate that GM is there to make sure second place is filled by a domestic brand.

BTW the viper really sounded awesome in that video. :D

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's more like it! No need to bash one or the other, both great American sports cars.:usa:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could see the viper start yanking the vette at the end of the vid...lol..

What the hell does he mean you might be a vette guy or a viper guy.....laughable..

The vette is 50-70k while the viper is 100-140k..

Lol...the viper is twice as expensive. Since when do you get to choose..?

Thats like saying..stop the hate. You might be a viper guy you might be a mc12 guy. Im laughing really good here.

Now heres what I will admit. The vette looks damn good. I mean really focking good. I hate to admit it but to me it looked like a slightly cheaper version of the viper.

Ill put that in two ways and God I hate admitting this. But if that was a 110k viper then the vette looks like it should be worth 80k to me. The vette looked wider to me and I liked its running lights better. The viper did appear to have a much better fit and finish and a ever so slightly more upscale look.

Id say if the viper desighns a 9 then the vette is a 7.8...wow am I really typing this?

A supercharger is weak sauce to me. If the new z06 came out with 550 hp naturally asperated at a base price of 85k they would have a real winner on their hands. Fully optioned out 105k and wow what a rival for our snake

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice vid..the look of the vette is growing on me, still not crazy about the rear end though.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved the vid! Proud to be American, the Corvette and Viper are the two leaders at the track.

However, I have tracked the C7 and of course the Viper, and the C7 is not in the same league as the Viper yet. Not even close. Don't believe that it's nearly as fast or faster than a C6 Z06, that's marketing hype. But wait for the C7 Z06, that should give us a run for our money. The Corvette engineers have mastered vehicle dynamics as have team Viper, they are our biggest competition in my mind. Not some funky $1M uber hybrid car.

OP
OP
V

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved the vid! Proud to be American, the Corvette and Viper are the two leaders at the track.

However, I have tracked the C7 and of course the Viper, and the C7 is not in the same league as the Viper yet. Not even close. Don't believe that it's nearly as fast or faster than a C6 Z06, that's marketing hype. But wait for the C7 Z06, that should give us a run for our money. The Corvette engineers have mastered vehicle dynamics as have team Viper, they are our biggest competition in my mind. Not some funky $1M uber hybrid car.

I'm not so sure C7 Z51 vs C6 Z06 lap times are just marketing hype. The instructors at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch have reported their C7 lap times are on par with their Z06 times.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure C7 Z51 vs C6 Z06 lap times are just marketing hype. The instructors at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch have reported their C7 lap times are on par with their Z06 times.

When I was there in October, they said the same to me. I asked them if they actually timed them both on track, the instructors I talked with said no they hadn't. They said that the GM marketeers told them the C7 is faster than the C6 Z06. Perhaps it's true, but I haven't seen any tests that prove it. Maybe they've actually tested themselves by now, do you know?

If you look at the lap times of the Z06 at Laguna Seca and the C7, the C7 is significantly slower per lap.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when the guy was driving the Viper, it sounded a lot quieter in the cabin than it did in the Vette?

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
watching that I really like the viper better. i do think gm did a nice job with the new vette but who could argue
what stood out.

VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that when the guy was driving the Viper, it sounded a lot quieter in the cabin than it did in the Vette?

The C7 is isolated and quiet inside. You can hear the exhaust when you romp on it, but the rest of the time it reminds me of a soft cream puff. Nothing wrong with soft cream puffs, but I want a raw, loud, in-your-face track dominator. Viper for me :drive:

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>The C7 is isolated and quiet inside. You can hear the exhaust when you romp on it, but the rest of the time it reminds me of a soft cream puff.

This is exactly why I kept my Corvette even though the Viper is way more awesome. The Vette is easier to drive every day because the environment it creates around it is different-no cell phone pics at every redlight, no rubbernecking accidents being caused, no teenagers grouping around and licking it when I'm at dinner, just moderately numb steering, cushy, non-restrictive seats, quick, fun, but 7/10ths to the Viper's 11. There's a place for both cars.

To the guy asking how you can be a Vette guy or a Viper guy, the ZR1. Lots of people have sold Gen IV Vipers to get ZR1s. I wouldn't, but apparently, from the posts on corvette forum, dozens of people would.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was there in October, they said the same to me. I asked them if they actually timed them both on track, the instructors I talked with said no they hadn't. They said that the GM marketeers told them the C7 is faster than the C6 Z06. Perhaps it's true, but I haven't seen any tests that prove it. Maybe they've actually tested themselves by now, do you know?

If you look at the lap times of the Z06 at Laguna Seca and the C7, the C7 is significantly slower per lap.

I think GM is playing on semantics. There is a huge range of "as fast as a Z06". If you look at the early runs on crappy runflats, I would say they are pretty much even with the C7 Z51, so technically they would be correct. But compared to a Centennial, Z07, Carbon Z06, no freaking way.

However the latter cars were fitted with R-compounds so if you put MPSC on a C7 would it be in the same league? I think that 1:38.2 at Laguna goes to a 1:36 if not a 1:35 which is what I would probably consider as on par with the 1:34 by the C6Z. But GM are pretty smart for not putting the MPSC on it. There is some hype in there, but might not be completely unfounded.

Tadge or whoever it was saying the Z51 is quicker on track than a ZR1 was a boldface lie though. Which is why I'm leery of what they say.

OP
OP
V

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't seen any lap times, just the instructors saying they're able to match Z06 times in the C7. I'm sure there will be published C7 vs C6Z test because it'll be at least a year before the C7 Z06 hit dealers.

OP
OP
V

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think GM is playing on semantics. There is a huge range of "as fast as a Z06". If you look at the early runs on crappy runflats, I would say they are pretty much even with the C7 Z51, so technically they would be correct. But compared to a Centennial, Z07, Carbon Z06, no freaking way.

However the latter cars were fitted with R-compounds so if you put MPSC on a C7 would it be in the same league? I think that 1:38.2 at Laguna goes to a 1:36 if not a 1:35 which is what I would probably consider as on par with the 1:34 by the C6Z. But GM are pretty smart for not putting the MPSC on it. There is some hype in there, but might not be completely unfounded.

Tadge or whoever it was saying the Z51 is quicker on track than a ZR1 was a boldface lie though. Which is why I'm leery of what they say.

I think you're right about the tires.

I never heard any GM engineer make the claim the Z51 is faster than the ZR1. They've hinted the C7 Z06 will be faster than the ZR1 since they're claiming it'll be the most track capable Vette ever produced. I don't have a problem believing the C7 Z06 will beat the C6 ZR1 even if the new Z06 only has 550 - 575 hp. The engineering in the vehicle is vastly improved over the C6.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 138.xx is not fast. I mean yes if you want to compare the 2014 c7 to a 2006 z06 then Im sure its just as fast. But the z07 or zr1...lol. not even close.

C7 is a Damn fine car for the money though

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice vid..the look of the vette is growing on me, still not crazy about the rear end though.
Apparently there is already an aftermarket company out there ready to sell you a "round tail light conversion" kit for $8K. Pricey, of course. >Worth it, debatable. But at least you have $50 K to work with if you choose the C7 over something $125 or higher.....

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C7 Z51 is heavier, has less HP and has narrower tires than the C6 Z06. This is why I'm skeptical that it would be comparable to the C6 Z06, even on equal tire compounds. I've tracked the C6 Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 quite a bit and the C7 Z51 once very briefly at Spring Mountain. The Z06 feels a lot faster than the C7, it certainly pulls harder. I wasn't able to drive the C7 the way I'd like to, we had to leave it in Touring Mode at Spring Mountain. In that mode, the e-diff forces understeer when you balance brake in the corners. If I had been allowed to put it in Sport or Track Mode, I think I would have been more impressed.

The C7 does have it's advantages- great interior, very comfortable as a daily driver, yet very capable on the track which adds up to an exceptional performance car value. But I think that the C7 Z51 has been hyped quite a bit. It's fast on the road course for it's weight and HP, but it's no Z06, ZR1 or Viper. However, when the C7 Z06 comes out, that will be a force to be reckoned with. Team SRT will have to be on their game, competition is healthy so that's a good thing. As Randy Pobst says, God Bless America!
:usa: :usa: :usa:

OP
OP
V

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huge difference in feel between Touring mode and Sport / Track. Throttle response is much more relaxed in touring mode.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huge difference in feel between Touring mode and Sport / Track. Throttle response is much more relaxed in touring mode.

I hear it's impressive in Sport/Track modes. I will likely get a chance to track the C7 hard there in March, when I return for a couple of days in my Viper.

OP
OP
V

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear it's impressive in Sport/Track modes. I will likely get a chance to track the C7 hard there in March, when I return for a couple of days in my Viper.

I'm hoping to be there in the Spring. How do you like the track?

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't driven a C7 on the track yet,but my stock motor C6Z06 pulls hard. I like how it pulls hard up on top. I can't imagine how the new C7Z06 is going to be. They say it's going to be 660 to 670 hp..

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be there in the Spring. How do you like the track?

I've driven both the main track and the new 2.1 mile 2nd track. Both are terrific tracks. They can configure the tracks to run together, or make a variety of track layouts to keep it interesting. The new 2.1 mile track is so wide that if you make a mistake, you have plenty of time to gather the car up. Neither track has many walls that you can hit. Just flat, relatively smooth runout. So if you go off track, you won't do much damage at all to the car. Very safe track, that makes it high on my list. I've been through two levels of the Ron Fellows Corvette School there, and am going back for a 2-day private lesson with the school director. Perfect place to learn. Plus, you can stay on-site in a track-side condo, swim in the pool, hang out in the clubhouse, even get a massage in the spa, LOL. My lady watched me track from the balcony of the condo. It is a luxurious track experience. Plus, Las Vegas is an hour away, so you can spend a couple of days there on the same trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery