Back in the fold....

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just liberated my '99 GTS from my house.... Separated from the wife and Viper for ~ 2 years now, and I'm soon to be moving to AZ for a fresh start at life. I forgot what a beast it was to drive, but quickly got used to it. Had Roe hoses with bleed valve installed, new battery, oil change, etc.

My question: to drive from Chicago to Scottsdale, or to ship it. Any estimate on prices for shipping? Almond looks pretty good to me from other posts.

Also, how's the Viper scene in the Phoenix area???

OP
OP
G

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seriously thinking of the drive, but wondering if I'll have the time.....

By the way, those 46 photos listed under my name are not mine, but it looks like someone had a good time!

Any tips on preparation for a cross-country drive?? No music suggestions necessary......!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
holy cow batman! what a story!

I would drive it, are you kidding? You need BONDING time

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it! You're apparently single now, you need to see and be seen. Phoenix and AZ in general is a great place to get Viperized. Lots of great people in the area. I'd definately drive it. The only thing I'd be cocerned with is the weather this time of year. Snow and snakes are a bad combination. A light foot and good planning with a southerly route will be fun though. I once drove from Buffalo, NY to Riverside CA in a Viper and it was a trip I'll never forget. Life is short, DRIVE IT.

PS: take pics and let us know when you get there.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked out your photos, and they should be under Chester Backer, a VA/MD member. Those are pics from a few of our regional events from the past. Vipermad, can you fix?

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did a 1800 miles drive recently in my 05(solo),it was great,stop when you want & GO when you want,it was a blast & memory to keep!! DO IT :usa: :usa: :usa: :cool:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on down to Az., this is the PERFECT time of year. Summer is gone now and we have nothing but sunshine and warm weather. Phx. is about 82 day and 60 night. How does that sound? No snow and can use your baby the year around. Welcome to Az., I have been here since 77 and wouldn't live anywhere else. Enjoy the ride down, but do the southern route and you should be fine. The Viper will love it.

Doc :headbang:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arizona club is very active and fun. Great group of people. Marv Spatz the President keeps everyone hopping.
Scottsdale is one of the high end communities. Lots of growth in the area. Great roads, excellent weather (except for the scorching summer).
Should have a good turnout for the January Barrat-Jackson auction in January.
Welcome to the Western Region.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Brian,

[*]Social: Vipers are VIP guests at the Luke Air Base Picnic Nov 4th [*]Driving: SRT Driving Experience at Firebird Raceway Nov 4-5 [*]Social (driving -for some) Some from the club are going to Vegas for SEMA show and meeting up with Marko and the Nevada Vipers [*]Racing and Driving School at PIR for the annual enduro race. Vipers come on out to watch and support the Viper racers or drive some laps in the street sessions www.azsportsracing.org [*]Pure fun: AZ Vipers Christmas Party Dec 10. [*]2006 starts with major time at Barrett-Jackson- Jan 21

Toss in some spur of the moment times when members run to one of the local drag strips or indoor gokart places.

Check in when you get here..
Marv s.

OP
OP
G

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! Hope to meet you all down in AZ soon. Moving in Dec.

See ya!

OP
OP
G

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update..... Took the car to work today for the first time in 2 and a half years.... felt great! Then I picked my 6 year old up from kindergarten, and he was all smiles.... made my day!

I think I'm going to drive it to AZ. Sounds like an adventure.

Any thoughts on a front bra, mirror protection, or clear light guards from any of the cross-country travelers out there???? I also saw the snap-on front plate holder (at PartsRack). Any feedback on those??

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update..... Took the car to work today for the first time in 2 and a half years.... felt great! Then I picked my 6 year old up from kindergarten, and he was all smiles.... made my day!

I think I'm going to drive it to AZ. Sounds like an adventure.

Any thoughts on a front bra, mirror protection, or clear light guards from any of the cross-country travelers out there???? I also saw the snap-on front plate holder (at PartsRack). Any feedback on those??

No bra. Dirt gets underneath and acts like sandpaper. Besides, they look like crap. Just paint the fascia every 30K-40K miles.

If anything, use 3M clear bra. But I don't even think that is necessary unless it gets a lot of track use. Track is much worse on the finish than the street.

AZ has a front plate law?

Good luck, enjoy your drive. I have 99,500 miles on my 98.

OP
OP
G

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZ is no front plate, just worried about everything in between......

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was seperated from my Viper for 2 years I wouldn't even have question if I was going to drive it. Riding off in the Viper is always a winning experience even in the worst of times. :headbang: It will be great therapy. It had 2 years of garage boredom to stay perfect.
P.S. Sorry to hear about the divorce.

OP
OP
G

gasman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'M DRIVING IT!!!!
Leaving in a few weeks. Sure hope it doesn't snow!