Bad battery = alarm problems?

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had problems with the factory alarm ever since I bought my 93 last year.
It spent sometime at Mr Tators and he pretty much changed everything, key fobs, modules etc etc. Has been ok for 2 or 3 weeks, then Sunday it started going off on its own (was sitting outside most of the day in the sun, alarm not armed) and then last night the "alarm set, lights flashing mode" started as the car was running!

What I have noticed is that it seems to do it when the car does not start first time, when I have to crank it over for 4 or 5 seconds and the battery starts to sound weak (by that I mean the fuel pump note changes as I crank and the cranking speed slows)
I took a quick butchers at the battery, it certainly looks old, and could deffinately do with cleaning up the contacts and stuff. Could the battery be causing this?

Nick

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weak batteries can cause all kinds of issues.And A weak battery can and wil set the alarm off.I would put a battery in and check for a draw on the system as well to make sure you dont have something pulling the battery down.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not replace the fool thing just for common sense type periodic maintenance kind of a plan? Heck, if it looks old and starts to sound weak (your words), do you need a better reason? It's not like a top of the line Interstate Megatron is more than a $100.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a new battery sitting in the trunk of my DD already.
My question was not as to whether I need to change the current battery, that is a no brainer, but more as to could a deffective/slowly dieing battery cause "hiccups" in the alarm system.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One day after a drive, I pulled the Viper back into the garage, turned it off, pulled key, opened the driver's door...and the horn chirpped. Closed the door, and it chirpped again...same with other door and the hatch. Checked the fob to be sure that the alarm was off...cycled the alarm a couple of times, turned the alarm off, opened the door and the horn chirpped again. Battery was 7 years old, always on a tender.

Changed the battery and everything went back to normal.

The guru's here have taught me to ALWAYS think about checking the battery AND it's cable connectors first!!!

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. Since it's a 93, you may want to TRY a 9v battery plugged into the lighter socked during the swap. If that fails and you get stuck in shutdown when you attempt to start it...call someone!!!

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Double check the remote terminal just for grins. I'm sure Chuck would have checked it, but the wing-nut can work loose. And yes, I would agree that a dying battery could cause the alarm to do all kinds of things.

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also check the alarm fuse. That bastard can go out quite often. Does the alarm honk or not? If not, the fuse is most likely shot.

Low batt will turn alarm on. Not sure why but it does.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have my son this weekend, so no Viper time. Early this coming week I should be able to swap it out.

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, that didnt fix it. Changed the battery, car was sat in the garage , opened the door and the alarm went off (it wasnt armed). Would not recognise either of the two key fobs to shut
it off, so had to do the "top secret" reset procedure.
I have no idea whats left to replace, Tators swapped out the modules, new key fobs, new battery and it still isn't right.
The only thing I can think of now is maybe the way the aftermarket radio is wired is screwing something up...I have no idea.

Can you bypass the alarm system all together?

Vetsandvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ukviper sounds to me that you and I have somewhat the same problem. For me what will happen is the Alarm Set light will flash while I am driving. Then sometimes my car does not even start at all! I have to unplug the battery and try again. I too thought it could have been the battery so when I went to replace mine I was blow away to see that it had the O/E battery from 1994 in it when I replaced it last year.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 has had the alarm set light start flashing a couple times while driving. I put a switch on the disarm wire going to the stock brain and then installed a brand new alarm system and havent had a single issue every again. plus even if my battery dies my factory alarm will not arm due to the switch being installed. I would put a real alarm in and forget the factory stuff. But I do this for a living so I may be a little biased. :D

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ukviper sounds to me that you and I have somewhat the same problem. For me what will happen is the Alarm Set light will flash while I am driving. Then sometimes my car does not even start at all! I have to unplug the battery and try again. I too thought it could have been the battery so when I went to replace mine I was blow away to see that it had the O/E battery from 1994 in it when I replaced it last year.

Did the new battery resolve the problem of the alarm light coming on whilst driving as I also have that problem ??

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 93 has had the alarm set light start flashing a couple times while driving. I put a switch on the disarm wire going to the stock brain and then installed a brand new alarm system and havent had a single issue every again. plus even if my battery dies my factory alarm will not arm due to the switch being installed. I would put a real alarm in and forget the factory stuff. But I do this for a living so I may be a little biased. :D

Sent you a PM.

Nick

Vetsandvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the new battery resolve the problem of the alarm light coming on whilst driving as I also have that problem ??

Unfortunately it did not make light stop coming on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery