Bad gas!! Need help!!

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filled my snake's tank at a low-selling countryside station. Car is now running badly. I am also scared that gasoline might be polluted with water. I wolud really like to empty the tank immediately, without even driving to the garage. I did it once on a similar accident, on another car, many years ago: I just pulled yhe fuel hose and let the pump empty the tank. I tried to do the same but. . .could not even locate the fuel hose! Anybody more experienced can give me a word ?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

2000 GTS
1979 911 Turbo
1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Carrera Panamericana
1959 356 Convertible
1956 356 A
1953 Packard Mayfair

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say try to get a hand pump (or siphon) and pump it back out through the top of the tank. THen get a gas can and go get some premium (if you left the car on the road) fill it up then drive to the station and top off the tank.
Just my petty advice
Craig

Reaction score
The Factory Manual suggests the following for my 97 GTS (Should be the same for your GTS as well):

1. Release fuel system pressure.

2. Insert a 1/4" syphon (max O.D. 5/16) hose from portable fuel siphoning tank through the filler neck opening into the fuel tank.

3. Drain fuel from fuel tank into siphoning tank!

Now that you know it is this easy, you might want to by a locking gas cap!
laugh.gif

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought not that you shouldn,t empy the tank *** much as you can with the siphoning method but you could also get some isoprople alchohol(comes in a red bottle and displaces water) I know here in Nd you can get it anywhere, keeps the fuel from freezing. Just a thought. Jerry

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Now that you know it is this easy, you might want to by a locking gas cap! "

... I think what Claudio is infferring...that he filled up with (gas plus water)from the gas station. This is a classic case of underground water runoffs into old gas tanks due to corrosion.

On the otherhand, it could be a case of a dishonest owner,who turns water into gas..... at ~ $4 gallon, lots of profit to be made,at the end of the day...

Reaction score
I agree with you Hisstoy. I was suggesting that it is extremely easy to siphon gas from a Viper, that's all. Something to consider the next time the price of gas goes outa sight! A locking cap keeps the good stuff in, and the bad stuff out.(JD)

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimDavis MT 97GTS 650R:
The Factory Manual suggests the following for my 97 GTS (Should be the same for your GTS as well):

1. Release fuel system pressure.

2. Insert a 1/4" syphon (max O.D. 5/16) hose from portable fuel siphoning tank through the filler neck opening into the fuel tank.

3. Drain fuel from fuel tank into siphoning tank!

Now that you know it is this easy, you might want to by a locking gas cap!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hahahahaha that's a good one! Thanks a lot! I did not find those instruction on the manual, maybe just missed it. Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot to all of you guys ! All done. Car is back in good shape now! I went to the man at the tiny station. . . he is too old to realize the nightmares he gave me!!! BTW he is going to retire soon, and a big company is going to upgrade the station.
Do you know what he offered me to compensate the loss of money and time ?? You won't believe. . . . . . . a free full load of. . . gasoline!!!!!! Hahahahahaha

Thanks again.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sort of applies to folks in California soon, everyone else later.

The elimination of MTBE as an oxygenated fuel component means fuel marketers will begin using ethanol instead. This brings lots of issues, since:

1) ethanol causes more intake system deposits, so you might want to purchase from fuel marketers that advertise cleanliness.

2) ethanol dissolves much more water into the gasoline, which by itself doesn't cause problems. But when saturated gasoline cools down at night, the water will fall out and you'll have a water layer at the bottom of your gas tank.

3) ethanol will clean out rust and stuff from the inside of fuel tanks. The service station, if it has a metal tank, and your vehicle, it the tank is metal, may see filters plugging with rust and scale. Now where is the fuel filter located...

4) the latent heat of vaporization is high (why your skin feels colder when you rub it with alcohol, it pulls lots of heat from your skin to evaporate) so warming-up driveability may suffer. This is very unlikely to happen in fuel injected engines, since the right amount of fuel is delivered to each individual cylinder, but carbureted and throttle-body injected engines will suffer. The evaporting ethanol will pull so much heat, the gasoline will condense into droplets and fall out in the intake manifold, or certainly be less atomized.

There is no choice, either for drivers or oil companies. The fuel must contain a certain amount of oxygen and MTBE has since been disallowed. The next "best" alternative, with the farm lobby behind it, is ethanol.