Baffled by the clear coat

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the wheels.........2004.

The rest of the care is perfect.

Looks liked the wheels where "scrubbed" with something to hard for the clear coat.

They won't polish out. I have tried several 3M and Meguiar's products, by hand and machine.

Anyone ever try to correct swirls in the wheels?

416IMG_2672-med.JPG

416IMG_2671-med.JPG

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are seeing is actually under the clear coat, some are worse than others, but the factory did a poor job of polishing the aluminum before they were "clear powder coated". You can polish them all day long and it will have no affect on the appearance of what you are seeing :(

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on the wheels.........2004.

The rest of the care is perfect.

Looks liked the wheels where "scrubbed" with something to hard for the clear coat.

They won't polish out. I have tried several 3M and Meguiar's products, by hand and machine.

Anyone ever try to correct swirls in the wheels?

The only thing you can do about this is have the clear coat stripped off, the wheels freshly polished, then re-clear coated. This would probably cost about $150 per rim. And if I were to go to that much trouble, I would simply have them chromed. My brand new FE rims look like this as well.

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are seeing is actually under the clear coat, some are worse than others, but the factory did a poor job of polishing the aluminum before they were "clear powder coated". You can polish them all day long and it will have no affect on the appearance of what you are seeing :(

Your kidding, right?

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Newport,

I'm afraid if those wheels have the clear coat on them that's the straight info. I sold my original wheels so fast I don't remember what they looked like. So I am going to ask you a real dumb question, do your wheels really have a clear coating on them? If not, you do have some other options other than chrome, however, the chrome suggestion is the best final solution IMHO.
Larry

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Newport,

I'm afraid if those wheels have the clear coat on them that's the straight info. I sold my original wheels so fast I don't remember what they looked like. So I am going to ask you a real dumb question, do your wheels really have a clear coating on them? If not, you do have some other options other than chrome, however, the chrome suggestion is the best final solution IMHO.
Larry

They are cleared. I spot tested them with a metal polish to be sure. No tarnish on the rag.

It's funny the cleaners I used did seem to brighten the wheel, yet the swirls didn't want to come out. That would mean it is under the clear. I was really baffled by this one!!!!!

Nice quality DC. :rolleyes:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my clear coat is starting too discolor, from the heat, as well:-(
I think we just have to drive'em. Most people will never notice the small stuff.

If not we'll go nuts. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take the car to the dealer, as I am assuming that it is still under warranty, and show them the defect and see if they will warranty it. It is worth the try. If not you will need to find a wheel shop that fixes bent wheels asd they will be able to strip, polish, and then recoat the wheels. You might want to give Jon, at Parts Rack, a call as he has tons of repolished and recoated wheels in stock.

Good luck!

Robbie

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Anyone try to go for a warranty claim on this? I can't see getting too far, if all the cars are like this.

Inexcusable on a $80,000 car. :rolleyes:

Being a perfectionist is a horrible disease to have. ;)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you will find a dealer that will cover these under warranty, if you do, let me know, the line forms behind you and me...

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
newport - I was just looking at a new coupe at my dealership today, and each of the wheels had the same issue.

Truly sad that they can't polish up the wheels right before they clear 'em.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chrome them. About $200 per wheel if you shop around. Much better looking, easier to clean, etc. etc. etc.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport, make sure you see a sample of their black chrome. It seems to vary greatly from shop to shop.
Larry

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
"Interesting. Anyone try to go for a warranty claim on this? I can't see getting too far, if all the cars are like this.

Inexcusable on a $80,000 car.

Being a perfectionist is a horrible disease to have."

I tried to get DC to repaint all the chips on the bottom of the side sills. Forget it. Chips are not covered. What a joke on a car that cost $95,000.00 out the door.