Ball Deep Into Gen 1 Top End Job

crazycanuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gentlemen

Got my Gen 1 heads off to update the head gaskets, in the process of getting the heads sent out to make sure they are flat check the valve guides/seat and change out the seals and so one.

Here where I'm at, 94 with 10k miles..Ordered all the typical gaskets...Changing all coolant hoses, t-stat,motor mounts,spark plug wires. My brother being a chysler mechanics which is a bonus.. but also a nervous person, wanted me to look into lifter to see if this there is alot of problems with them ?
The more you look the deeper you can go! Since we are there lets do the water pump...? Well now that it off should we pull the the front cover off change the gasket and the front main seal ?

Spending the money is not the end of the world...to a point.

I have seen alot of THREADS to replace head gasket jobs here, my big question is what else would you guys suggest if you had a car apart of the same year and milage ?

Have thrown the idea of roller rocker and push rods.. going to clean up a few casting lines and some port matching ... any Comments are welcome before I button this thing down and find myself 2 years down the road redoing what I never did in round 1

thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rockers and pushrods can be done later at least. but id do the head gaskets for sure and all the other ones while youre in there. its easy for me to spend your money but thats what id do

if heads are off, gt them worked on and the cam is right there, might as well.....

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in Canada are you?

The gen1 has wet sleeves, so you need to have something to keep the sleeves from popping up if the heads are off for more than a day. Be SURE to NOT turn the motor over with the heads off and nothing holding the sleeves down. A peice of angle iron cross ways would suffice.

Good luck on the project.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A very wise man tells me that the Mopar Performance lifters are where it's at. You want 1 @ #P5249862 (set of 16) and 4 @ #P4876054 (individuals)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazycanuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andy

Thanks for the part # for the Lifters..I live in Windsor Ontario next to Detroit, Michigan.

Just waiting for This weather to break !

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only failure I've had in my '94 was a washer holding the needle bearings in the roller lifters (that also come in a foreign V-6 engine.) First the teeny broken washer showed up in the oil drain, then a needle, then a few needles, then the squealing as the roller stopped rolling and wore a groove in the cam lobe. With the heads off, installing a higher quality lifter would be good insurance.

Now have 112K, about 50K past the the broken lifter.

OP
OP
C

crazycanuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom,

What did you go with, I check stock on the Lifter # Andy provided they are back ordered

Pete