Ballenger exhaust VS. straight pipes

Viper GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there i a big difference ? in the performance ?

Witch is the most recommended and best for performance and keep in mind sound is not an object!!!

My car has a set of ballenger headers and 2 1/4 straight pipes !
The sound is like hell is released and you can hear it from a mile a way :D
i like it but is there a big loss in horse power preformance ?

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no cats/no side muffs on my car and made 440 rwhp. No loss in power here!. I just recently bought a snakeoyl rear assembly (no rear ****). OMG. I don't think I can drive on the street anymore. Sound is very cool, and I'd like to take it to the track like that. Too loud for everyday use but probably picked up another 10hp based on sound levels:) I've got some high flow cats to tune it down a little now. I hope the swap will keep me at 440rwhp while staying emissions legal.

I do not believe you are losing any power with the straight pipes. The bellanger headers are a tri-y design with 3" collectors, designed for mid range power. The stock exhaust should be 2 1/2". This is the size exhaust you usually run with a 3" collector and 400-500 hp. Most people run 3" ex. because henesby (the original viper tuner) used it with his 5-1 headers and big hp vipers. And bigger is better, right?
If you had a head/cam motor with 1 3/4" 5-1 header (like b&b) and had 550-600hp, yeah, you might see a small gain with the 3" exhaust but the muffs would keep any gain minimal (10hp?). Thinking of running the borla ex without muffs? Think stock car loud! Remember, You need a little back pressure for optimum performance.

My '95 has bellangers and 3" high flows and dynomax race bullet muffs. I really believe that a 2 1/2" system would make just as much power with its 400rwhp. The lack of back pressure now really pops in the exh during decel. Its pretty cool. I may swap out in future just to prove my point to everyone, but I've also got a cam that's just waiting for those headgaskets to blow!

OP
OP
V

Viper GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for your help =)

I was afraid that it will loss me some power !

But the car sounds like VooooooooooooM BoooM BalaboM.

But i feel the car losses some power with the 5th gear it never goes above 180mph is that normal ? and the 6th gear

does not have any pull or power !

will a viper reach 200mph ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery