Ballpark cost of these upgrades?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure lots of you guys have done the following to your cars-

Cam, head/rockers/lifter package, headers & sport exhaust.

I have gotten estimates on parts...about $10k. For all of you that have done this, what are the labor costs? Hidden costs or add'l upgrades that will be deemed necessary due to the increased HP/TQ, or to take full advantage of these upgrades? (Tuning? ECU? Radiator?)

I am trying to get a clear idea of the overall cost to upgrade the drivetrain on a GTS to a NA 650+ RWHP. Is it going to end up costing more than the car is worth? (00 GTS, 15k miles,I am told is worth about $30k (on a Viper) -$35k (on a Vette) trade-in value). Thanks. Jim

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S.- I have already upgraded the brakes to SRT10's, and suspension, so that isn't necessary. I have a good platform for the upgrades. Just not sure about all the incidentals.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure lots of you guys have done the following to your cars-

Cam, head/rockers/lifter package, headers & sport exhaust.

I have gotten estimates on parts...about $10k. For all of you that have done this, what are the labor costs? Hidden costs or add'l upgrades that will be deemed necessary due to the increased HP/TQ, or to take full advantage of these upgrades? (Tuning? ECU? Radiator?)

I am trying to get a clear idea of the overall cost to upgrade the drivetrain on a GTS to a NA 650+ RWHP. Is it going to end up costing more than the car is worth? (00 GTS, 15k miles,I am told is worth about $30k (on a Viper) -$35k (on a Vette) trade-in value). Thanks. Jim

Getting over 650 RWHP with an NA motor will take some doing. You'll probably need Stryker heads, a big bumpstick, and some sort of aftermarket tuning---be it an AEM, VEC, or reflash. I'm being general because there are a lot of ways to skin that cat. Just depends on what you want the car for and how deep your pockets are.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
650rwhp is a tough goal but it should be something like:
P&P intake, with larger TB's
Striker heads ($7000, they are the best, or greg good)
Striker street cam
1.7RR
Bellanger headers
catless
Corsa exhaust(or take your pick)
Tuning
with labor around $20,000+ (assuming you do the headers and axhaust yourself)
should put you at a strong 650rwhp maybe 675 with a good tuner!

or just buy a used ROE, do some exhaust work, a little water/**** with a 6.5# pulley and be at 600rwhp for $10,000 less.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
650rwhp is a tough goal but it should be something like:
P&P intake, with larger TB's
Striker heads ($7000, they are the best, or greg good)
Striker street cam
1.7RR
Bellanger headers
catless
Corsa exhaust(or take your pick)
Tuning
with labor around $20,000+ (assuming you do the headers and axhaust yourself)
should put you at a strong 650rwhp maybe 675 with a good tuner!

or just buy a used ROE, do some exhaust work, a little water/**** with a 6.5# pulley and be at 600rwhp for $10,000 less.

I think that combo is good for about 600 RWHP. Larger TB's are not needed. 1.7RR is standard on Strikers. You can make more but your missing the secret ingredient,and it's not nitrous.:shhh2: