Band clamps

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody every heard of using a bandclamp to install high flow cats intake side? Your input would be appreciated.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether it is on the in or the out, it will work. I did this with straight pipes but will use the same band clamps when going back to hi-flow cats.

Oh yeah. The NAPA part below is a 3" band clamp.

911-med.jpg

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and pics. I will use them this week, cant wait to hear the new exhaust.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A small piece of advice (though not required): a) put some "muffler paste" (the stuff used to seal muffler leaks) on the joint. b) wrap that in tin foil. c) put the clamp over both. never leaks that way. not that it will leak with just the clamp but this has worked well for me (thanks Achilles99 for the tip!!!).

JD

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,, Used them on my exhaust, big band, and two bolts to cinche then up. You push your pipes together, them leave about a 1/16 open for the clamp to seal.

Mark

Are you saying that the two pipes are not even touching each other?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used band clamps with 50% success. Some stretched and loosened up after awhile, and couldn't be properly tightened again. I had better luck with T bolt clamps to secure an overlapping pipe to pipe connection and just wouldn't bother with band clamps again.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I use them, the pipes aren't touching... hence the sealant. but nope... they don't need to touch. If they do that is fine too.

JD

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried band clamps on the inlet side, but they would not seal. They worked well for all the new pipe to new pipe connections though. I went down to Auto Zone and picked up a couple of the U bolt style for a couple of bucks each and it sealed right up.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder people have trouble with them leaking or coming apart. They are meant to be installed over slip-fit joints. Atleast all the instructions with the ones I used said so. And mine also came with a "foil type" gasket.

Well to each his own....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition, you cannot retighten or reuse a band clamp. Joe's suggestion of tin foil and muffler paste make them 100% effective when torqued properly, I believe 70 ft-lbs.

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attempted to use bandclamp on intake side of cats, not a good idea. Ended up welding it much better seal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960