Barrett Jackson Insurance Collector Car

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has answered this yet but I called and they told me 2500 anually. I drive in between 5k and 10k so it wont work for me. :( Allstate gave me the best rates and they reduce your policy by 10% if you have no claims or tickets every 6 months.

Depends really. There is no actual mileage limitation stated in the policy. They do like for you to keep it under 2500 a year but if you are using the car for club events and car shows and you go over that amount you are still covered. They just want to make sure its not a primary vehicle.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends really. There is no actual mileage limitation stated in the policy. They do like for you to keep it under 2500 a year but if you are using the car for club events and car shows and you go over that amount you are still covered. They just want to make sure its not a primary vehicle.

When I called, they told me that they didn't have actual mileage restrictions on classic cars. When it comes to current exotics, they said the restrictions were in place. Same thing when I called Grundy. I made it clear to them that this is not my primary car and it does not go to work, but since I estimated mileage at around 6k per year on the Viper, they couldn't do anything. I might have overestimated on the miles I'll put on per year, but I really don't want to be thinking about how many miles I'm "allowed" to drive. I bought the car to drive it, dammit! :)
I just know how most any type of insurance is. If there is an "out" for them to not have to pay, they will take it. I didn't want to deal with the fact that if I have a claim, they might look back and deny it because I drove 3k instead of 2.5k.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I called, they told me that they didn't have actual mileage restrictions on classic cars. When it comes to current exotics, they said the restrictions were in place. Same thing when I called Grundy. I made it clear to them that this is not my primary car and it does not go to work, but since I estimated mileage at around 6k per year on the Viper, they couldn't do anything. I might have overestimated on the miles I'll put on per year, but I really don't want to be thinking about how many miles I'm "allowed" to drive. I bought the car to drive it, dammit! :)
I just know how most any type of insurance is. If there is an "out" for them to not have to pay, they will take it. I didn't want to deal with the fact that if I have a claim, they might look back and deny it because I drove 3k instead of 2.5k.

Thats cool. It's not gonna be for everybody. My driving never really goes over 3k a season and with the kids now it will be even harder to get out. So I decided to take advantage of the great price and the fact I now have an agreed value on both my vipers is a big plus.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me see if I understand this correctly. They DO NOT want you to drive over 2,500 miles a year, but they will NOT deny you coverage if you go over?

I talked to them last month and they told me this.

The Barrett-Jackson program has a mileage guideline of 2500 miles annually. The carrier will want a statement (email) stating that you do not intend to go over the 2500 miles and the vehicle is primarily used for collection/show purposes.

I decided to go with a different company for now, because I don't want to be limited on how much I can drive it. So basically I just need to tell them it's not my primary vehicle? (Which it's not)

Thanks!

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know Bob, prices seem great but if it's not black and white, there may be a loophole for them. I don't trust insurance underwriters myself. For me, it has to be as black and white as possible. I told her it was a weekend car and maybe a trip or two a year. Told her 5K - 10K a year. Obviously with that explination it's not a daily driver by most standards. That's all I'd need is to drive over 2500 miles and have an accident and them throwing up a red flag! I don't know.....:dunno: With my luck, I wouldn't be covered! Esurance gave me some good numbers too and I'm thinking about considering them...FYI...

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been with Allstate for 10+ years now. Every winter i put my "Cars" in to a suspension policy, when it's not being driven. So there is a kickback saveings there (Nov-Mar) Also there is the same thing where you tell them it's not driven over 3500 miles a year and it knocks down your rates. Things to look into if your no already doing that.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I switched my collector cars to Barrett Jackson Collector Car Insurance.

Saved me over$700 annually over my old collector policy.

Examples with agreed values.

1993 Dodge Viper $45,000
2001 Chrysler Prowler $45,000
2007 Ford Shelby GT $40,000
1986 Dodge Shelby $10,000
1969 Plymouth Barracuda "Mod Top" $45,000

Total annual premium for all 5 cars: $809.00

300,000 liability, towing, diminished value, factory original parts, use your own body shop, etc., and $0 deductible!

No, I'm not in the insurance business. I'm in the furniture business.

I'm confused, your examples say "agreed values", but below you wrote "300,000, towing, diminished value,............... What exactly does that mean? Your agreed value diminishes from the point of policy purchase?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for giggles I did an online quote on Hagerty's website.
Using my '09 Viper and going with 100K agreed value, it was $2568.00 a year...:omg:
That's about $1200.00 more than I pay with Grundy now. ***?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused, your examples say "agreed values", but below you wrote "300,000, towing, diminished value,............... What exactly does that mean? Your agreed value diminishes from the point of policy purchase?

"Diminished Value" as stated by the policy is...."If the value of the vehicle diminishes despite restoration efforts, we can pay the difference. (Up to policy limits)."

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's see if I can clear up a few things for those just joining in on this thread.

BJ Collector Car Ins. is NOT for daily drivers.

2500 miles per year,is a appox. guideline for the insured car(s) to be kept within that range. (they didn't even ask me the current mileage on my cars)

You can drive over that 2500 limit, IF the additional miles are to, and from, a car club organized or car show attached event. A general vacation of excessive miles for personal pleasure, probably wouldn't float with them.

If your primary car is in a shop for repairs, you can drive your BJ insured car to work for a few days, no problem,,,they said.

$300K,,,,Limit of Liability if an accident is charged against you. Extra coverage limit can be bought.

They did ask what our primary, daily driver vehicles were, but didn't ask who insured them. They do ask for your driver's license number.

Its not for everyone,,,,,but good for most of us who own extra cars of classic or exotic models.

Like most companies, if you are a risk with multiple traffic tickets or charged accident claims,,,,they don't want you.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Diminished Value" as stated by the policy is...."If the value of the vehicle diminishes despite restoration efforts, we can pay the difference. (Up to policy limits)."

As an example:

Lets say you have a completely original Plymouth Superbird. Insured for $400,000. Unforunately, the car was at a show inside a circus tent. The tent got blown down, the aluminium poles beat every body panel on that car. The car is then restored to its former beauty, BUT now it's not an original survior car. It's value is now diminished. It may be only worth $325,000. They pay for the repairs PLUS the difference of what the car is worth now, up to policy limits.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
daytonP

good catch, and explanation.:2tu:

I missed their questions.

Thanks

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 5 cars with Grundy and have been with them for 5 years. I like their no mileage restrictions even though I only average 1,000 on them.

Grundy is one of the biggest if not biggest insurer of collector cars in the country.

I am always looking to save money. All five come in at $1,200 for me.

I don't think that Chartis could do much better. But I have bookmarked them and next fall when it is renewal time I will look. In addition there may be better information on their rating at that time.

ksipes1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did the online quick quote with Barrett and qot a quote on my 2002 GTS FE and my 2007 Z06. They quoted $313 for the GTS and $200 for the Z06. Requested the written quote and they came back with "Sorry we can't help you with insurance. We only insure Exotic and Collectable cars".
Ok, guess we all understand the Z06 isn't "collectable", but the 2002 GTS Final Edition #227 isn't?

Guess I will try Grundy.:mad:

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm yet to receive a call back with a quote. I called them on the 8th with my info. and they told me they were going to contact the under writer to see if I qualify since my vehicle is driven about 3k miles per year. :dunno:

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switched over (there is fine print) although one phone call to
the agent explained the details. Insurance can't be this cheap with
out a few particulars. I do recommend it. I even asked them for some business cards to give to my other friends at car shows.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an example:

Lets say you have a completely original Plymouth Superbird. Insured for $400,000. Unforunately, the car was at a show inside a circus tent. The tent got blown down, the aluminium poles beat every body panel on that car. The car is then restored to its former beauty, BUT now it's not an original survior car. It's value is now diminished. It may be only worth $325,000. They pay for the repairs PLUS the difference of what the car is worth now, up to policy limits.

Thank you for that great explanation.

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper Jon,
Try Barrett Jackson, it showed $600.00 for your car....I moved the viper, prowler and Challenger to them, saved over 2000k a year..My agent checked them out and he was very skeptical but came back and said go..He did also speak to them. They are for real..
Regards
Frank

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper Jon,
Try Barrett Jackson, it showed $600.00 for your car....I moved the viper, prowler and Challenger to them, saved over 2000k a year..My agent checked them out and he was very skeptical but came back and said go..He did also speak to them. They are for real..
Regards
Frank

Holy crap Frank they were less than half compared to what I pay now!
DEFINITELY checking into this....
Thanks

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad some of you are saving some money. The money I saved on insurance premiums this year is going towards a new set of tires for my Prowler. Money saved on insurance can go towards mods, tires, maintenance, or just having fun! :drive:

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here, the Prowler needs new boots! $$$ saved is going in that direction.

:2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So to basically sum up this thread other than the 2500 mile per year restriction limit has anyone found a reason NOT to go with these guys?
I would save more than half than what I pay now with Grundy and that's not chickenfeed.

I'm of the "too good to be true" school of thinking...:)

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So to basically sum up this thread other than the 2500 mile per year restriction limit has anyone found a reason NOT to go with these guys?
I would save more than half than what I pay now with Grundy and that's not chickenfeed.

I'm of the "too good to be true" school of thinking...:)

All I can say is...... does anyone think that Craig Jackson/Barrett Jackson would endorse or put his company's name on something that would be shady? Especially with something that is directly involved with his business.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with them because i was tired of paying almost 3K for insurance on two vehicles (GTS and Gen1),that i don't drive more than what the (insurers) limits were.If i find i want to drive above the 2500 miles,i'll just buy more insurance. At least this way you really can choose.An extra three grand comes in handy in these times too. This is not for those who drive more trhan the 2500 miles a year. However for those of us who drive below that,it saves a lot of hard earned cash! Hopefully if i ever have to file a claim,i won't have any problems...but then again i hope that on every insurer i ever went with.:drive:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting a written quote from them, just spent 20 mintes on the phone with a nice rep.
Apparently they are getting a LOT of converts from the VCA and other car boards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang