Barrett Jackson -Viper

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't bash that buyer...instead we should be recruiting her for the VCA!!! If money is no object, more power to her. I really love her taste in cars.

That special edition corevette from '09 was a lightweight track model they produced 70 of. I had no idea that car existed until last night. Pretty cool car, but I'd never pay that price for it.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tammy Allen bought dozens of cars last year. Yes, she does get what she wants but I've also seen her back off when prices get silly. She and her people know cars - I'm surprised she would pay that much for a GenII RT-10. But, then again, there has to be someone else in the room who also wants to pay silly money for that car so I guess she's not alone.
I would pass on the blonde jokes - she's a pretty sharp lady.

She bought the Messerscmitt KR-175 (Mini) the day before. She was bidding on the BMX Isetta (mini) but bailed out - the two would have made a nice pair. She buys a ton of cars at BJ.

The RT was $75,900 and the 96 GTS was $55,000 with commissions. It's been an odd sale this year - pickup trucks and Vipers are bringing silly money.

Interesting cars to watch for today: Two '69 camaro pace cars - one with the original motor and one with an early '70s replacement. Tomorrow there is another '69 Pace Car with a replacement but date code correct motor. I am interested in seeing how the bidders react to the different replacement motors (all Z11 cars).

Also, a couple '61 and a '60 impalas - I like these cars so I'm hoping to catch them on TV.

I'm also watching the straight axle vets pretty closely. There are a couple 2x4 '57 - '61 cars selling this week. This is a car I'm considering adding to my garage this year - along with the Impala.

Sorry if I'm rambling - I get pretty fired up when it comes to auto auctions.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tammy Allen bought dozens of cars last year. Yes, she does get what she wants but I've also seen her back off when prices get silly.

That may be but she paid almost double for a basically run of the mill Viper with no real collectable value. Getting carried away in the heat of the moment is one thing but not with a car you can go get at a dealer for mid 40's.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may be but she paid almost double for a basically run of the mill Viper with no real collectable value. Getting carried away in the heat of the moment is one thing but not with a car you can go get at a dealer for mid 40's.

I hear ya - I can't figure it out either. Late in the day, a few too many scotches, next thing you know you spent thirty grand too much for a cute car.
Again, there had to be at least one other person in the room just as crazy as she was.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree, that car is worth in the $50K if it was pristine as they said on the auction. Now does this help(visability wise) the values of our cars? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

I do hope so though, they all should be valued as that 2002 RT was :2tu::2tu:

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kinda whiny talking about "she overpaid cuz it's worth 40k" comments. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe that "extra" money was worth just being at the auction getting some self-gratified exposure. Maybe it is just because that particular car has some value to her that you nor anyone else knows about? Maybe she likes the spirit of these auctions and is willing to pay more to be a part of a competivive bidding war that is televised? Who knows..who cares. Why people fantasize why someone overpays for a car is silly to me.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tammy Allen bought dozens of cars last year. Yes, she does get what she wants but I've also seen her back off when prices get silly. She and her people know cars - I'm surprised she would pay that much for a GenII RT-10. But, then again, there has to be someone else in the room who also wants to pay silly money for that car so I guess she's not alone.
I would pass on the blonde jokes - she's a pretty sharp lady.

everything you are saying may be true, and i congradulate Ms Allen on all her success. however, like the others said, if i spent $75,000 on a $45,000 car, i seriously doubt anyone would be calling me a pretty sharp guy.

(i already hear that and i dont have to throw away $30,000!)

:rolaugh:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watching some of what I missed on the DVR and there was a Ford Flex and a 74 Vette that each brought about $47K... Charity auctions so I guess people can write these off... Even still a 74 Vette and a Flex...Whoa!

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just watching some of what I missed on the DVR and there was a Ford Flex and a 74 Vette that each brought about $47K... Charity auctions so I guess people can write these off... Even still a 74 Vette and a Flex...Whoa!

I thought I heard if you received an item in exchange for you donation it was not able to be written off :dunno:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I heard if you received an item in exchange for you donation it was not able to be written off :dunno:

ya well write off or not your still spending money.its still comeing out of your account.:pile:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tammy has quite a collection and here in Grand Junction, Colorado. She has quite a few Vipers and she knows what she is doing. Trust me, there is a reason for everthing she does.

To all of you saying the Viper should be worth peanuts, well I disagree. I hope the prices go through the stratisphere in the future. I only hope I can acquire one more so I have one I can just enjoy and another that pays off my house.

At that low of mileage, the RT/10 will most likely not be driven but put away and in 20 years, we may all wish we were there to buy it for that price.

Over paid or not, good for her. Why wish her anything else but good? She is still supporting the Viper and with around 5 brand new Viper purchases in the past two years, can you say the same thing. Most can not.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe that her Maclaren Viper is in our classifieds for nearly $300,000?

When someone pays double what I think a car is worth, I usually aske them why they paid so much. Normally there's a reason. As with property assessments what something sells for is what it is worth. Perhaps someone dear to her woned the car? Perhaps there's a million in ******* in the car? Not that I would buy it, but I'm sure most would?

I say Good for her! She bought what she wanted!

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone feels a "must have" wave of emotion overcoming them about a red '98 GTS with 30K on it, let me know. Tammy in the house?

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 20 years, adjusted for inflation, the car would have to be worth 4x what it is now probably. If money doesn't matter to her and she wanted it right there, who cares what she paid.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is obvious to me that while some think that she overpaid for the car in the environment, her purchase must be viewed in light of the other cars being sold at BJ.

The two three wheeled clown cars were absurdly priced. While I like Pontiacs, the Firebird 400 convert went for the high 40's. Not worth it. The restoration was not that good.

While those cars may be nice to some, they are in no league to the Viper. The Viper clearly outshines them in style, power and driving. The jaws dropped when the Vipers were brought across. People acted accordingly.

How many Camaros where there? 100? Boring frankly. Heck, a Mach I was an interesting change. Then the damn spaceship Viper came up and people said "The car of the future has arrived". Congrats to the new Viper owner. I hope that she joins the club and people keep their self righteous attitudes to themselves. Its a car club pure and simple. She owns a car. She made a good choice.

Hope she spreads the good word about the Viper.

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too funny, a lot of owners complain about the price of the viper being too low then, when one sells off the chart owners comment on it being too high. Kinda like shooting yourselves in the foot.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody needs to teach the BJ slackers how to open a clam shell hood. and as far as the 02 rt/10 going for what it did ...this is a better deal and find.

2002 Dodge Viper GTS Final Edition ACR (Premier Sportscars Co.)

What they need to learn is how to close it properly!

B-J *****, anyway. It's all political, and has very little to do with reality. It's commonly held that it's the worst thing to have ever happened to the car hobby. It's who you know or who you bl@#, and priority is given to:
1) repeat consignors and buyers. 2) charity cars. 3) Celebrity owned cars (which I feel de-values a car) 4) high profile builders' cars (Foose, Boyd, etc.)
If that GTS went through today, in prime time, when they weren't pushing them through quickly because of the weather (heard that's why) who knows what it would bring?!:dunno:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I wish my cars value to be as much as that RT/10 car. Whoever bought it for $75 has bumped their head!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone will be pretty surprised at how quickly the Gen I and Gen II cars turn around in value. They're just now at the bottom of their 'desirability curve' and pretty soon they'll become nostalgic. Especially with the end of Gen IV this year and a period of time where no new cars can be obtained. That's my prediction at least... Maybe she saw it coming and wanted to buy one in a high-profile environment. Who knows.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
An interesting search is "VECO Corporation", founded by Bill Allen, Tammy's dad.

He was an entrepreneur, former welder, and eventually headed up a multi-million oil drilling company, oil field service company, disaster clean up company, etc, etc. He did a lot of good things in his life. I think he pleaded guilty in 2007 to bribing Alaskan politicians. Went to San Pedro for three years. Should be out about now. In the video of Tammy buying the Iococca Mustang, I think her dad is seated to her right. One of his sons owns a racing horse. Diversify! :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When ever I check out ebaymotors it seems like the rt10s are worth a lil more than the gts....the rts are the ones that started it for guys who are now around 50 and have money...thats the car they fell in love with in 92...or they saw concepts of in the 80s...

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When ever I check out ebaymotors it seems like the rt10s are worth a lil more than the gts....the rts are the ones that started it for guys who are now around 50 and have money...thats the car they fell in love with in 92...or they saw concepts of in the 80s...

:rolleyes:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some strange reason since the GTS came out their owners seem to think that RT's will never be as good or as valuable.

Not sure where this whole logic comes from but these cars at BJ seem to be telling another story. There are more GTS's on the road than RT's, which will result in RT's being worth more over time.

Besides RT's are faster in everything but top speed, handle better, much more fun to drive, and last but not least look better.

Patiently waiting for a GTS owner to bash the RT because HE feels its the right thing to do.

Personally I love them both, but becuase my choice was for a street car not a track car there was nothing that could convice me that the GTS was the one to buy. But one drive with the top down was enough to convince me that the RT would be leaving home with me.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No more VECO as it was acquired by CH2M Hill back in 2007. Too bad Bill built those free "beach houses" in Alaska or he would have been fine. Depends on the interpretation of the law. One person says it is bribery, another says it was a thank you.

Either way, living in Colorado, I really wish Tammy and company would open up their collection for public viewing in Grand Junction. It is pretty amazing what they have acquired.

I still say good for her.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For some strange reason since the GTS came out their owners seem to think that RT's will never be as good or as valuable.

Not sure where this whole logic comes from but these cars at BJ seem to be telling another story. There are more GTS's on the road than RT's, which will result in RT's being worth more over time.

Besides RT's are faster in everything but top speed, handle better, much more fun to drive, and last but not least look better.

Personally I love them both, but becuase my choice was for a street car not a track car there was nothing that could convice me that the GTS was the one to buy. But one drive with the top down was enough to convince me that the RT would be leaving home with me.

A few corrections, the GTS was built for racing and therefor has racing heritage and an amazing amount of wins at Lemans & Grand Prix (RT10s zero). The Collectable rare ACRs, FEs and GTSRs were not built in an RT. There was about an equal amount of RTs and GTSs built bewteen 97 and 2002. Whereas all the Gen 1 cars are RTs.

Since the GTS was designed to be a racer the car is a hardtop and a hatchback which also happens to have double the cargo area at 12cf. The hardtop is of course a safer vehicle (which is why verts aren't classed as racers) to crash in as well as being a better handling car due to the extra stiffness of the chassis. The GTS bodystyle is faster and more aerodynamic with both the rear spoiler and the hatchback. It is also allowed higher speed with factory safety equipment than RTs. ie. NHRA allows GTS to go 11.5 before requiring racinjg harness and rollbar, etc.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder so I won't argue which is better looking. I like the look of fast and I like fast.

Also I am not "putting down" your RT, just correcting.

Ted

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing an RT can do better is show off your bald spot...:cool: The RT can also do a a magic trick... They disappear every time they park next to a GTS..;) Got to go along with Ted.. excellent points!

I do love the RTs though... especially a Gen1 with side exhaust. Which is better ?... has been beaten to death and will never be settled. I do also believe that far more RT/10s were built given the 4 extra model years.

A few corrections, the GTS was built for racing and therefor has racing heritage and an amazing amount of wins at Lemans & Grand Prix (RT10s zero). The Collectable rare ACRs, FEs and GTSRs were not built in an RT. There was about an equal amount of RTs and GTSs built bewteen 97 and 2002. Whereas all the Gen 1 cars are RTs.

Since the GTS was designed to be a racer the car is a hardtop and a hatchback which also happens to have double the cargo area at 12cf. The hardtop is of course a safer vehicle (which is why verts aren't classed as racers) to crash in as well as being a better handling car due to the extra stiffness of the chassis. The GTS bodystyle is faster and more aerodynamic with both the rear spoiler and the hatchback. It is also allowed higher speed with factory safety equipment than RTs. ie. NHRA allows GTS to go 11.5 before requiring racinjg harness and rollbar, etc.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder so I won't argue which is better looking. I like the look of fast and I like fast.

Also I am not "putting down" your RT, just correcting.

Ted

Last edited:

jbrian31

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was about an equal amount of RTs and GTSs built bewteen 97 and 2002. Whereas all the Gen 1 cars are RTs.

Ted

As a 97 RT/10 owner I agree with you on most of what you said, except an equal number of RTs and GTS were built. In 97, they only made around 115 RTs and hundreds of GTS. Now I cant speak for the other years, maybe those were more even. But seeing they only made 53 B/W RTs in 97, which is the most iconic year known, they will bring a higher values than most.

Anyone know how many 97 B/W RT/10 have been wrecked, my guess is around 5.