Basic tuning

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 related questions:

1) Without actual modifcations to the engine or engine management, what tuing can be done to a Viper to optimise power/ running of the motor? And would this be best done at a shop with a dyno?

2) To carry out the above, what places in the Nor Cal area would anyone recommend?

Cheers.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both West Coast Vipers and Dan Cragin Performance in the LA area can burn tune-ups on your stock computer so you do not have to run a piggy-back or stand-alone. Yes best way is on dynoe. I think they both charge $500 for their standard preset tunes given your set-up but the dyno/tuning time would be extra.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was meaning more to get the car in it's current state of tune to be running optimally. Ignition timing, throttle etc. I'm thinking of eventually going down the VEC-2 avenue but not for a while. I was just wanting to get everything running optimally for the time being.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get that baby on the dyno, and see where you want to go from there!!!!

Hope you are enjoying the lowering kit!!!

Tomer

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: dyno - I was wanting to take the car to a dyno to see what it's got but one that had experience of Vipers and optimising power for a given level of modification. I still notice a bit of the 'kangaroo fuel' when on low throttle when the car's cold.

The lowering kit has made the car totally different to drive now. Far more comfortable without the need to bend my neck. And I got the hard top off for the first time which was great fun (the driving around with the top off, not the process of getting it off).

I had a bit of an 'incident' with a 'ricer' on the way back from your place on thursday Tomer. One of the new BMW M5s was on my tail coming onto 680, obviously throwing down the gauntlet. I got caught with a car on my inside while he raced off out into the far left lane. That's a very fast car the new M5 BTW. However, I caught up but the speed was getting a bit dangerous so I slowed right down. That's when this Eclipse with those stupid neons lighting up the road came from behind me on my right and cut right across. Something then hit my windshield hard (I thought something must have broken although on later inspection there was just a very small chip) which I initially just presumed was a stone chip. However, this **** kept slowing down and changing lanes to be right in front of me at all times, no matter how I changed lanes. He'd put his neons off after cutting me off but every time he came back in front of me, on they came again. Is this some sort of 'ricer' signal, threat or challenge? Well eventually I got fed up and pulled over to the right lane to pass him and as I did he deliberately swerved into the same lane so that I had to brake and swerve over to the next right lane. Luckily it was empty as if not there would have likely been a serious accident. I then realised that whatever had hit my windscreen earlier had quite likely been thrown from his car as he cut in front of me. I was totally raging by this time and was frantically signaling through the window for the guy to pull over. To be honest, diplomacy was not really on my mind and I wanted to tear his head off. I suppose it was lucky for me that he decided not to take me up on my offer. I decided that I needed to get away from him and calm down so I dropped a gear and left him. We do not need pr**ks like this on the road. And I can't understand what had persuaded him to drive so aggressively in the first place. Neither myself or the M5 had cut him off during our initial tussle. Was it just an insult to his sh**ty car that 2 cars passed him at speed? A blow to his pathetic ego? It was certainly an eye opener for me.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW is all I can say...Glad cooler heads prevailed (well, only on your part).

Re the M5, I don't know the exact specs off hand, but it is a hot rod...I think the recent ones are 400hp, and the new one might be 500hp...You should be able to beat the 400hp version, but they deserve respect!!

Back to the ricer, I am not aware of this being any type of signal, I think you ran into some "freaks" and particularly at night their recklessness is dangerous and out of line completely....I think some radicals react this way to the mighty Viper, and I think you did the right thing to avoid them...I have never run into this type of behaviour...

Hope that chip remains just a chip and does not progress into a crack...

I told you ******* is the way to go!!! cheers Tomer

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Scot that's a pretty crappy driving experience. I've had a few like that in the past as well, with no evident trigger to the offending driver. Some people are just freaks of nature I guess, and should be banished off to a deserted isle somewhere.

What was the lowering kit you installed, for the seats?

I'm actually not that tall (5'10") and find that with the top off, my head sticks out of the car if I want to have good visibility. If I want to look cool, but have a nice blind spot in the windshield, I can sit lower.

IF you installed the seat lowering kit, how difficult was it, and which one did you do? I guess the 2" lowering kit doesn't allow the seat to be adjusted, while the 1" does.

Watch the crazies on the road (you should try Milpitas during rush hour :)

Cal

PS - Looks like you're very close

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, in retrospect I'm glad I never had the opportunity to 'take matters further' with the guy in the Eclipse. No damage done after all. I think he was having a Viper inferiority moment to be honest. Total [******].

Also, I'm positive the M5 was the brand new one, all 507bhp of it! However, not as much torque and heavier than the Viper so it would be an interesting drag race. But with the electronic gadgets it's got for improving traction and handling, round a track it might be a different story. A recent issue of Autocar in the UK rated the new M5 against the Ferrari F430 and the BMW won, both in terms of practicality AND performance!

Cal Cobra, the seat lowering kit is the 2" one that fixes the seat to the floor. However, once I've found the correct driving position in a car I never move the seat again anyway. And this way shorter people (i.e. my girlfriend!) can't ask to drive the car as they won't be able to reach far enough to depress the clutch!

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cal, Vpr Scot can't tell you how easy/difficult it was to install the lowering kit, he was drinking beer while I did the work!!! We installed the NorthWind 2" seat lowering kit, and yes that one is fixed. I have heard the 1" kit retains the seat guides and adjustment. Overall install was easy, with the only snag being how to re engage the bail for the seat cushion (which had I done search prior I would have saved 45 min)..easy solution is use a piece of heavy string/twine tied to the bail when re-installed the seat cushion, thread it thru the seat frame, and slight pull engages the bail and you are done...

Let me know next time you drive the beast to work!!

cheers
Tomer

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might have to give this a shot. I know you loose the ability to use the seat guides/adjusters, but how about the other seat adjustment that's allows the seat to "slide" with the plastic toggle switch on the bottom right? I would assume that's still good as it's part of the seat and not the guides?

Tomer were you at the VCA meeting this Tuesday?

Cal

MMMM.....BEER

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I was not at the VCA meeting...

Re Seat lowering, the 2" kit results in fixed seat position (but the seat back is still adjustable fwd and rear with that plastic toggle you referenced... the 1" lowering kit retains full adjustment...cheers Tomer

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although the seat tilting mechanism remains after installation of the 2" lowering kit, there isn't much play given the new fixed seat position. It doesn't recline as much as I'd like it to but at least by head doesn't scrape the roof now.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Scot

I am out of Sudwerk...

Tomer :shocked:

Was it good? I'll see what I can do about smuggling another consignment west! Still no sign of my new plates yet :mad: Don't like the boring one I've got right now. And do you remember who makes those personal plate holders? I'll need to think up an appropriate phrase though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960