Battery Cover in Trunk

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to have to get to the battery more than I would like and the Torx bolts can be tricky to work with. Is the Carbon Fiber one on the ******** editions the same way or are the fasteners easier to work with. I was thinking of having one made and Velcro to the trunk.

Any thoughts

Bruce

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting my military Aircraft Structure Engineering skills to bear here, I would hazard a guess that there is a distinct reason Dodge put so many fasteners ( large ones at that) to hold the battery cover in place. I am thinking there is some rigidity issues associated with have such a large "hole" there.
If there weren't any structural issues in that area Dodge would have put substantially less fasteners in to hold the cover down.

With respect to a carbon cover, that would work if it were thick enough to mimic the strength of the steel one.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one way of making it easier would be to use shorter fasteners. It takes a long time to unbolt those covers with them at their current length, and I use an air ratchet.

I think they could be an inch shorter for sure. IMO.

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes sense that the steel cover may have some structual impact, however the ******** cars have a Carbon Fiber lid. I can validate monday on a ******** car at the local dealer and see the details.

Bruce

Last edited:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used this in my '06 Coupe because I disconnected the battery more than a few times.

I made it out of simple plexiglass and cut a hole in it for the quick disconnect. Had a strip of foam-cushion type material w/ a sticky side. Ran it along the edge to (somewhat) seal it up.

It'll be going on my '08 shortly.

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the same thing - and one idea I came up with was a battery disconnect switch mounted where I can get to it. I figure I won't need to replace the battery too often (hopefully) but I'm always doing stuff where I don't want to fry a chip someplace so I always disconnect the batt.

In the meantime, what I've found really helpful is one of those rechargeable 1/4" ratchets with a torx bit in it. I can get all of the million torx fasteners out in no time at all.

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My issue was that my battery tender in my 08 coupe went into Standbye mode and needed to take the cover off to reset it to charge again. While I was in there I took it out and put it in the ACR.

Bruce

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes sense that the steel cover may have some structual impact, however the ******** cars have a Carbon Fiber lid. I can validate monday on a ******** car at the local dealer and see the details.

Bruce

I have no question that a carbon lid can be installed that will equal the strength of the steel one. That's why carbon is used on airplanes these days.

Steve A.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The carbon fiber lid is about 1/8 thick. I can only imagine what one would cost from Dodge. The little plastic covers for the driving light delete cost over $600 (yup, three digits) each.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My issue was that my battery tender in my 08 coupe went into Standbye mode and needed to take the cover off to reset it to charge again. While I was in there I took it out and put it in the ACR.

Bruce

Any reason you don't just install the BT in the trunk area and run the wires into the battery? Or, better yet, install the tender in the engine compartment and attach it to the jumpstart leads near the power distribution center. On my GTS, I installed a tender right under the distribution center in the engine compartment and hardwired it to the positive and negative jumpstart leads. I tied the power plug off right inside the open area of the clamshell hood - it stays nice and dry, away from dirt and debris, and I can plug it in without opening the hood. I've seen people install the tenders directly to the battery, but it always seemed weird to me - there's all kinds of muck flying around in there, and it's hard to get your hands around the rear wheel to plug it in.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The carbon fiber cover on mine has the same screws. They are pain and I use the drill attachment trick to take it off. Who knows why they need so many screws , I can tell you though I here lots of pebbles hitting it from the underside on the street. Without the soundproofing and carpet I hear everything.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced the screws with dzus fasteners. Its a snap to open it, just need a large flathead! It's an easy install. I have boxes of fasteners if anyone needs a set, let me know.

You must be registered for see images

rinsalaco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I just bought a 2003 and 3 bolts have been stripped. I would like to obtain new bolts. Thanks

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bruce ,

Get ahold of Jorgensen, he has a battery tender that hooks up completely hidden in the back, with the connection reachable through the space in the rear fascia. Clean , like you like things, and completely unnoticable. No need to mess with the battery cover,again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying a tender through Mark and it is velcro'd above the difuser panel where yes I can reach it from the back. :2tu:

Bruce

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just hook mine up in the engine compartment. No need to go to the trunk, just run the wire right out the front of the car and close hood ,just 1 click, and your good til spring. Been doing this for years.

Reaction score
With the tender in the back I plug mine in whenever I have it in the garage to insure the battery is always ready. I just ran the cord down the wall and leave it there for when I pull in, you can't even see the tender through the fascia and it is easier then having to mount anything in the engine compartment, looks better also. ;)

This also has me in the habit for when all my cars are electric :lmao:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how I ram my tender from the battery. It's completely hidden and secured when not in use, but very easy to reach in and grab it when I get back in the garage.

I used some VERY strong velcro pieces to hold in place when not in use. This stuff is like woven plastic teach on both pieces. When you push it together, you actually feel it and hear it lock in place.

I used a zip-tie to help hold the piece to the part with the cord and stuck the other piece to a piece of plastic up inside the rear fascia area (not anywhere on the rear fascia). The sticky side of the velcro here didn't hold too well the first time, so I got a new piece and put a light coating of Liquid Nails on it and stuck it back up there. I let it sit a few days before doing anything with it, but now I use it on a regular basis and it has never even started to come loose.

Last edited:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TowDawg, interesting touch with the velcro. I put mine in today after finding the time to pull out a stripped torq bolt. I zip-tied around the battery box and figured I can stuff the surplus back in that same space when not in use. I may try your method, thanks! Mike

battery_tender.jpg

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no pics but mine is velcro'd just above the rear difuser panel on the batter side and the cord is Zip tied to a small circular opening in the frame and i just connect an extension cord to it.

Bruce