Battery dies on Gen 4, recommendations?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
PeterMJ said: "You are another victim. Sears does not make batteries, for Platinum, they re-brand Enersys product available also under Odyssey brand for more money. Johnson is the manufacturer of their other lines, including Gold. There is nothing special about Platinum batteries to separate them from other AGM batteries, including chargers. LOL at this scheme by Sears and people falling for it. Makes you wonder how much more did Sears have to pay their Chinese supplier to add this extra setting on the charger, maybe a nickel?"

Actually, PeterMJ, I am well aware of "who makes what" in this arena...as per my prior posts on the subject (a search is a wonderful tool).

As to the "scheme" as you put it, I can only say that the extra setting seems to work well over the past 18 months...BUT, only time and large numbers will tell.

Thanks for the into.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Indy, I did not see you mention Odyssey or Enersys but if the magic ingredient works for you then it is all what matters. I have not seen Sears wonder charger but if it is a relabeled Utilizer Odyssey sells, it looks identical to my Schumaher Computer Smart Speedcharger while costing close to twice as much (I actually know it is the same charger). Incidentally, all AGM batteries require slightly higher charging voltage, thus, a whimpy typical maintainer will not work and why my 3A 15 dollar no name cheapo works like a charm.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Not sure that we really disagree here...noting that I think that Enersys does make good batteries (and, my Sears is close by and it has a good warranty), which is a major reason that I went with the Platinum. I will also add that the Sears charger that I referenced is model No. 28.71227...which has some issues of it's own..and, I would NOT recommend using it in a maintenance mode.

As far as "not see you mention Odyssey or Enersys "

From this thread http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/631232-Optima-Batteries?highlight=enersys

my post reads:

"Hi, Brent. While awaiting the answer from Mark, I would say that we are very happy with the Sears Die-Hard Platinum (series 34) in our 03. It is also an AGM design with a great projected service life and good warranty. It's actually made by EnerSys...who also makes the Odyssey batteries.
It's around 52 lbs, and retails for about $190.00."

And, from this old thread http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/638828-Battery-Question?highlight=enersys my post reads:

"We ALL have our own ideas, viewpoints, and preferences.

Specific to our Gen III and IV Vipers, I promptly switch out the OEM battery and replace it with Group 34 Sears Die-Hard Platinum battery...as it is readily available, excellent performance, won't leak, has a long estimated service life backed by an excellent warranty. Importantly (to me) is the fact that this battery is made by EnerSys...makers of the Odyssey battery line.

I personally use Battery Tender Plus units...as they have performed well for us on Vipers for many years. Ctek is an excellent, higher-end unit that is very popular.

There will be many, many more opinions offered !!"

OP
OP
H

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a battery saver mode on your Gen IV...directions are in the owner's manual.

On our Gen III and IV Vipers, I changed the batteries to Sears Die-Hard PLATINUM (NOT Gold which is a lesser model) ...and on the Gen IV's, I made the change within the first year.

Had Sears swap the old original battery out for the new Die-Hard Platinum group 34 this past weekend and the car has never started stronger or better since I bought it. Used a new Die-Hard Platinum portable power jump starter to start the car and inflate tires before the drive and worked perfectly. Planning to put the car on sleep mode this weekend until possibly Late March or April when it finally warms up for good. It's going to be a long sad winter without being able to drive the Viper..... Going to look for my local chapter of Viper-less Anonymous for some support to make it through the winter. LOL

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DieHard Platinum is a very nice battery...I had one in my previous Camaro, and have had one in my wife's daily driver for years at this point. Nice warranty, and seems to last a good long time too. That's why I didn't hesitate to put one in my Viper...the stock battery always seemed to hate life when I pressed the start button. The new battery fixed that problem right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude