Battery...How Long Did It Last?

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious how long your OEM Battery lasted in your Viper?

I have an 08 with.a 4 year old battery and was considering changing it just as a precaution. Will be driving cross country after VOI and just thinking ahead.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran into an owner at the Viper Rendezvous event in Hasting NE and he has the original battery in his 2002 RT/10.

Bruce

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 and changed the battery about 3 months ago (10,000 miles).
I'll be driving back from VOI also, but to Nor Cal (San Jose)

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took the original out of an 05' with 38K. Didn't sound to strong when I started the car. Recently bought the car used and didn't want to risk getting stuck due to an $80 battery failure.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go ahead and change it for peace of minds sake.... Mine lasted about 3 years. Went with the DieHard Platinum Series and never looked back!

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 battery is not the strongest. Probably sat a bit here and there. It is fine for a week of sitting, but two weeks pushes it so I try to keep it on the trickle charger if I know I won't be driving. I also use the battery save mode a lot.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original Mopar lasted about 6 years if I remember correctly. I use Die Hard now and I replace them when it says their time is up. You might have another year or more but if it is a concern for you then go ahead and replace it for peace of mind.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the battery in my '08 a couple months ago (shortly after I bought it)...sounded a bit weak, and had some green crusty crap around the top posts. Replaced it with a DieHard Platinum (34/78).

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still have same one in '06 with about 2200 miles on it. I leave a battery tender on it, so I'm sure that helps. Had a '99 and the battery went bad after a year. Was told that there was a bad plate in the battery.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my battery after being in the car for about 6 years. It still worked well, but had a small amount of corosion (white powder) starting on the top (did not affect the battery tray at all) so I figured it was time for a new one. I always connect a battery tender when the car is sitting, which is most of the time.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 battery is not the strongest. Probably sat a bit here and there. It is fine for a week of sitting, but two weeks pushes it so I try to keep it on the trickle charger if I know I won't be driving. I also use the battery save mode a lot.

Same with my '09. Bought an Optima red top through the VCA special a couple years ago. Didn't install it until this spring. Should have installed it right away because it's much better than the stocker. Noticed the difference right away. Just because the stocker may last 5 to 10 years doesn't mean it should.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron,
I still have my stock battery and keep it on a battery tender. I'm hoping it lasts another 6 years.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery tender makes a big difference . We have batteries at work that last for 18 years ! :)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock battery only had 3 starts left in it in a row this spring. Thats with it being on a tender all winter as well. Last year probably should have been its last season anyway, as it weas starting to turn over very sluggish.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up a new Diehard Platinum yesterday. Painted the sides black, hooked up my battery maintainer into the cigarette lighter (didn't want to reprogram radio etc.) and then took out the old and installed the new. Fits perfect and with 4 year replacement and 52 month prorated can't go wrong IMO.

Saved a few bucks($20) by buying it online and picking up in store.

Ron

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The key is keeping it charged (use a trickle charger when not in use) because once an OE battery goes dead, it will never be the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets