battery symbol lit up..

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled the car out and took it around the neighborhood after storing it all winter and noticed the battery light (idiot light/symbol) is on. I just installed a new battery last fall and used a battery tender all winter with green light on.

In order to test battery I will need to pull wheel and look for cca info to set up the battery tester properly.

In the meantime does anyone know if this battery symbol is indicative of a charging system issue or could it mean battery as well?

Voltage gauge was ~15 or so and didn't seem to move much at idle or when higher rpms were reached.

Any thoughts welcome.

thanks

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15 seems high to me. Have you verified the voltage with a volt meter? I have no idea how accurate the gauges in the vehicle are, but I would think mid to high 13s are where I have seen other vehicles when they are running. I would think at the 15 range, you are almost dealing with a faulty voltage regulator. Anyone else with more knowledge care to chime in?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My voltage gauge is not very accurate, it nominally reads 14.5 to 15 V when the computer is seeing 13 to 13.5 V.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my light come on yesterday and go back off a few times during a drive. I did a search and found a few other post with similar symptoms but no one ever posted what their solution was.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I've had this happen twice, with a relatively new battery. I pulled over, restarted, and it cleared. Another time I just kept driving to my destination, and later that evening when I started the car again, it was gone.

I think it might just be one of those Viper quirks.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure this only happens only happens when the thread is way old and it's time to put it up for winter....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im impressed someone used the search here....good going !

and if people start a thread with an issue, they should post results when its all handled/fixed

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh. My. God.

Can you not afford a can of contact cleaner for that little switch under your console?!? :rolleyes:

:D :tx: :D

Well dang it...thanks for letting me know what the problem is...now I'll be waiting for the thread that has the step by step instructions with pictures...you'd better get busy ;).

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well dang it...thanks for letting me know what the problem is...now I'll be waiting for the thread that has the step by step instructions with pictures...you'd better get busy ;).

You guys are bustin' me up. D'6666 is probably right. It may be time to break out the screwdriver and have look-see..... Likely that switch is wack.... :dunno: