Battery

bcmamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My battery has died for the second time. First time it was factory and this time its an interstate. I didnt start the car for 3 weeks as I was out of town. The battery isnt completly dead but the car wont start, just getting that clicking sound.

Any idea what it could be and how I should check for the problem, its an 05. When I put the trickle charger on, it starts with no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used an interstate battery for almost two years without any problems. I left for a few weeks, and it fired up just fine? Maybe the dome lights stay on or something stays on?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your alarm system will kill the battery after 3-6 weeks. I believe it says so in the owner's manual. Mine's good for about 6 weeks usually.

A trickle charger should be plugged in whenever you park the car for awhile.

Ted

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Typical when you leave it idle for three or more weeks. Keep a trickle charger plugged in during the idle periods. Next time you bring it in for service, have a draw down test performed just to make sure. Putting it in sleep mode (see your owner's manual) will also help.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the trickle charger attached to the battery with a connector; you can buy the small silver dollar size at harbor freight which weights as much as a ******* for 9 dollars....I have had mine for 3 years without issues....

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as though you have a minor “Short to Ground”. This issue could originate without tripping, or blowing a fuse. If the vehicle was left idle, meaning alarm not set, radar detector off, …etc… you should be fine for that short of time. You could try using DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and hold one end to the batteries ground and the other to a clear spot on the frame. (This is a very course method of trouble shooting but effective)If you detect a minor draw of current this could be the smoking gun. Or the other school of thought would be, if it’s still under warranty let the service technician rip his hair out chasing the problem…

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as though you have a minor “Short to Ground”. This issue could originate without tripping, or blowing a fuse. If the vehicle was left idle, meaning alarm not set, radar detector off, …etc… you should be fine for that short of time. You could try using DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and hold one end to the batteries ground and the other to a clear spot on the frame. (This is a very course method of trouble shooting but effective)If you detect a minor draw of current this could be the smoking gun. Or the other school of thought would be, if it’s still under warranty let the service technician rip his hair out chasing the problem…
Then try removing one fuse at a time and see if you can narrow it down that way.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any idea what it could be and how I should check for the problem, its an 05. When I put the trickle charger on, it starts with no problem!

Like everyone else say, the battery will drain within 3-6 weeks.

I'm afraid your battery is probably in need of replacement again - unless you have maintained it with a trickle charger. (The battery in my 2006 lasted 18 months before it died. Again, like everyone says, the battery life will be considerably longer if it is maintained with a trickle charger - someting I did not do).

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The worst thing for a lead battery is to leave sit at a low state of charge for a period of time. Sulfate will begin to crystallize, reducing the area for the electro-chemical reaction, permanently reducing its ability to hold a charge. If you take a brand new battery, drain it and let is sit, in a month it will be no good. Lead batteries love to be trickle charged at the top of the charge cycle. Every wonder why after that time you found a completely dead battery, it never really hold charge all that well after? I had a brand new Optima in mine before I parked it and kept meaning to hook up the trickle charger but never got around to it. Months later I went to start it and it was dead. I charged the battery back up and it worked fine but would only maintain a charger for about a week. They replaced it free, but the point was that care of the battery is the answer, especially when our cars drain the battery on their own as everyone has stated. In a non-computerized car, the battery can sit for over a year easy, not Vipers.

OP
OP
B

bcmamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The interstate was brand new and I never thought it would drain that fast. They will replace it and im going to take the car in to my tech next week to see if it might be something else...

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hibernation mode seemed to work on my car.I parked it in Oct and took it out in May,starting it over the winter every 3 months.It fired up first crank like a champ each time.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My battery has died for the second time. First time it was factory and this time its an interstate. I didnt start the car for 3 weeks as I was out of town. The battery isnt completly dead but the car wont start, just getting that clicking sound.

Any idea what it could be and how I should check for the problem, its an 05. When I put the trickle charger on, it starts with no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Even though a lot of guys are saying three weeks for a battary to drain is normal, I beg to differ. I have an 05 with only 2700 miles and still have the original battery. The car sits in the winter with only three startups over a five month period and each time she starts right up and my winter storage is a huge unheated car warehouse. I do use the hibernation mode in the winter but even once out of starage, its not uncommon for the car to sit for two and sometime three weeks and I've never had a dead battery. I'de have it checked.

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The hibernation mode seemed to work on my car.I parked it in Oct and took it out in May,starting it over the winter every 3 months.It fired up first crank like a champ each time.

i don't have a owners manual, can someone explain the hibernation mode? I let the Viper sit for months at a time and it's pretty much always dead when I go to start it. I'll be getting trickle charger and a new battery as well.

--wes

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My OEM battery in my 03 was still in the car in March when I traded it in on my 08. Car always fired right up. Even had my Viper Tech check it out in January (6 years after I took delivery)and he said it was still fine. I tried to use a trickle charger when I left the car idle but I would often forget. Stored it last winter for 5 months without a trickle charger but with the hibernate mode on and it still started right up.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 battery is now only capable of a 80% state of charge. I would guess that I have only 1 year left before it is toast. All batteries decay over time and use. Some faster than others for sure. And the batteries capacity to handle extended battery drain or IOD (ignition off draw) is reduced over time. Battery drains below 70% SOC reduce the longevity of the battery significantly. That is why it is best to use a tender (keeps the battery up at 80 to 90% SOC) or employ the hibernation mode to reduce the IOD.

As to infrequent starts over winter that is a sure way to kill an engine and a battery. It is impossible to adequately heat the engine oil to "boil" off contaminants. Also doubtful that the battery gets fully charged in such a scenario, especially if the battery is maintained in a cold state.

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a note - I had the same problem with my battery and apparently the selling dealer did as well. Had several battery replacements. The dealer just replaced my PCM and now I wonder if that might have had something to do with all the battery problems. We will see how this battery lasts now a new PCM is installed.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a revolving collector of cars and motorcycles. I use the Schumacker 1.5 amp battery maintainer. The proper use of a maintainer is to connect it to the battery when you pull into the garage and leave it there until you pull out again. This method will double and triple the life of a lead acid battery so the $20 dollar cost of the maintainer is returned many times over.

I have had motorcycle batteries go for 8 years without ever needing replacement.

It is so cheap and worth while that I don't understand anyone not using them.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '04 will start after sitting over the winter months - at least 8 weeks.

I would check the battery connections. I had the terminal clamp completely corrode away causing the click, click - I don't consider that a battery failure.

Even though a lot of guys are saying three weeks for a battary to drain is normal, I beg to differ. I have an 05 with only 2700 miles and still have the original battery. The car sits in the winter with only three startups over a five month period and each time she starts right up and my winter storage is a huge unheated car warehouse. I do use the hibernation mode in the winter but even once out of starage, its not uncommon for the car to sit for two and sometime three weeks and I've never had a dead battery. I'de have it checked.

pdanaher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need help. I have a 2005 SRT and it had the dead battery problems. Now, after recharging the battery I can't get the car to start. When I turned the ignition on initially after re-instaling the battery I was unable to get the starter to engage. I turn the ignition on and everything is comes on, when I push in the red start button nothing happens. I have replaced the BCM and I still have the no start issue. Thanks for your help.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Above a lot of good suggestions and years ago a battery company gave me a good suggestion, when a car has been sitting for several weeks, a battery goes in a calm state, BEFORE cranking the starter, turn on only the park lights for about 20-30 seconds, turn off the park lights then hit the starter mode, this causes the battery to perk up some from the discharge on the park lights and gives you more cold cranking results then hitting the battery from its "sleep"...just my $.02...

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What some don't understand about a lead acid battery that even if it will take you through 8 weeks and start your car it has drained down and will recharge yes. But the act of draining and recharging shortens the life of the battery.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go without using your car for weeks at a time get a Battery Tendor or Batteryminder. I use to hate going to use one of my cars only to find that the battery was dead.