Best Bang for the Buck Stereo Mods

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my stereo.

Nothing crazy or super expensive.

So far, I've purchased an iCruze set-up and some 6 1/2 inch Polk speakers.

Any other simple stereo upgrades I should consider?

Is the stock amplifier of good quality?

I know very little about car stereo systems, so any help here would be appreciated.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have the Polk speakers (get the 6.5" 'component' speakers and discard the tweeter and cross-over .. if you get the two-way speakers you'll have way too much treble).

I was wondering about the amp under the passenger seat. The shop manual says it's rated at 310 watts with 10% THD ... I was wondering if there's a better plug-in and play option?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I would just stick with the icruize and the polk speakers if you don't want to spend too much. I also did the rb1 navigation...eventually I'm going to keep the rb1 and icruize but get a custom focal stereo put in the car and that'll defenetly cost more $$ especailly since I'll have to get a new enclosure made for the center to put subs in...

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got these speakers on ebay for $89 (new)

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc650/

I hope they're good because they are not returnable.

Those are a step up from the two-way Polks that I initially tried before ... I ended up trying black duct tape (traced around a Quarter) over the small Treble grill (but under the main speaker grill) ... it helped a little, but then I just went and bought the 'component' version of those speakers, and left out the tweeters.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your speakers are only as good as the signal your head unit is putting out. then the signal to the amp to the speakers.

i would spend my money on a good head unit and clean .05 thd or better amp.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your speakers are only as good as the signal your head unit is putting out. then the signal to the amp to the speakers.

Any recommendations?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agree 110%

Kai look at the Avic Z1 and do a custom install on it...I know a few people on this site have done a custom install like this and if I was going to do my stereo over again I'd defenetly go with the z1...if not try the avic n3 which you wouldn't need to do a custom install for. I've had a few Alpine tv head units and have liked them and never had any problems. Been sticking with Alpine head units since the iva-800 just came out which used to cost insane amounts of money back then!! Now alpine doesn't really have too many new features while I am really likeing the Pioneer units. Thinking about doing the pioneer z1 for the Vette actaully. If you don't want navigation etc. try a newer Alpine head unit. If you really want sound quality don't use the head units amp get a really nice external amp, get some focal speakers, subs, etc. and get a nice amp rack made in the trunk!! You only live once ;) :D

Oh and I thought of something else as well..use an external amp with the rb1 I know it won't sound as good but still be much better then what you have right now and upgrade speakers as well...been thinknig about doing this lately!

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was gonna say this... Alpine makes good stuff in general, it pretty much just depends on how you like the aesthetics of it. All the ones past a certain price mark are pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was gonna say this... Alpine makes good stuff in general, it pretty much just depends on how you like the aesthetics of it. All the ones past a certain price mark are pretty much the same.

I just bought this Alpine head unit:

CDA-9857

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9857

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much bang for how much buck. Here are some ideas...

10918Dash2-med.jpg

10918114_1448-med.JPG

10918114_1451-med.JPG

10918114_1455-med.JPG

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was going to suggest some really good amps, but then looking at your speakers, i think the high end amps would be overkill and a waste. good thing about buying a good amp is you won't have to replace it when you upgrade to better speakers.

i just upgraded my system with all sound quality equipment. i had the usuall brand name stuff before, but sound quality sucked.

if you don't mind spending some money on a good amp, i would suggest the zapco c2k line(www.zapco.com). very good sound quality. puts out the rated power, unlike most of the other name brand junk that spew off max watts instead of continuous power. i just replaced my kicker and jl amps to these.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after reading your post on your extreme engine and performance build, get the c2k amps and some f1 status or focal utopia be's for seperates and subs. that should add at least $7000 to your build.

kllymartin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much bang for how much buck. Here are some ideas...

10918114_1455-med.JPG

Is that a sub? If so, what kind?
Yes. It is a JL Audio 8". I am shocked at how good it sounds with the top down doing 80 on the hwy. There is just enough room for a 6' person to ride without hitting their knees on the glove box.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after reading your post on your extreme engine and performance build, get the c2k amps and some f1 status or focal utopia be's for seperates and subs. that should add at least $7000 to your build.

The problem is that my engine build has made my car pretty loud. Unlike the serene environment of the listening booth at the audio store, where the qualities of such a premium sound system can be appreciated, the environment in my car is about as bad as it gets for an audiophile.

I'm afraid that a modest upgrade is what I'm looking for. Anything else would likely be wasted considering that, over 3000rpm, all I can hear is the howl of the engine, and even at idle, the finer aspects of sound quality would be lost amid the rumble.

I think it's likely I will try to get a subwoofer in the passenger foot-well, a mono amp to drive the sub, and perhaps replace the stock center console sub with something else, (maybe some low or mid-range speakers.) There's a pretty good car audio store here in town, and I think I will pay them a visit once I get my car back and see what options they suggest.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, i was just being a smart @ss. seeing you properly do your performance build, but being budget and price concious on your audio. at least you have your priorities right.
if it is loud and clear, you won't hear any engine noise.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"I'm afraid that a modest upgrade is what I'm looking for. Anything else would likely be wasted considering that, over 3000rpm, all I can hear is the howl of the engine, and even at idle, the finer aspects of sound quality would be lost amid the rumble."

I had the same problem, it took more than 3600 watts to solve it, costly, but sounds great even with the top down...

You must be registered for see images

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike glad to see your back on the board bro! Hope everything is working out well for you :2tu:

Ricky

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ricky, nice to be back...

Quote:
"That stereo is sick and frikkin wrong..I need one"

"That has to be the sickest stereo I've seen installed in a VIPER. Congrats!"

I guess sick means good, thanks... the cost made me sick, and I mean the bad sick... :laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960