Best car insurance company?

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tried using the search button, but some reason my work's filter blocks it.

Currently I'm using USAA and paying $240 a month for my 06 Viper and 02 Mustang, just got a quote off the Geico site and apparently I can get the same coverage for $140 a month. Wondering if there is anywhere to get even better? I was paying about $80 a month when I just had the Mustang, and when I got the Viper my rate tripled.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far statefarm wanted $170 and progressive wanted $211. Looks like Geico is the best so far. Surprised at how much the price fluctuates company to company for identical coverage.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably can. I have been with USAA since 1978. I currently pay about $3600.00 per year for:

2001 BMW 540i
2008 Viper ACR
2009 ZR1
2010 GMC Sierra crewcab 4/4

Last edited:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's surprising...when insurance companies bug me and I tell them I have USAA, they just admit that they can't beat that.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was the impression I was always under. In the past when I've received phone calls about swapping insurance I usually just tell them I have USAA and they back down. After doing some research they might not be as good as their reputation.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been very happy with Geico. I pay ~$2600/year with Geico for:
'06 Viper
'02 Viper
'07 STI
'11 Armada

My DD ('08 750i) is with another insurance company for business reasons.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my cars, bike and umbrella with Geico. For my '03 Viper and '03 H2, I pay about $1,300 per year. I wanted to switch everything to one company, but nobody could touch Travelers
for my homeowner's policy. My Travelers policy for cars was about the same as Geico, but when I wanted to get my umbrella policy, Travelers didn't kick in until 500k, which meant raising my auto and bike policies, and my rates went a lot higher. Geico's umbrella starts at 300k, so I was able to keep my other coverages at 300k instead of raising them to 500k.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll be swapping to Geico for sure after getting some quotes from others. The hard task now is going to be getting USAA to release me. Tried to do it online but they won't let me cancel without calling them.

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the arms and legs off the gecco and your left with a snake. And I'm not talking the Dodge kind. Had an issue with an underinsured driver and Geico refused to do what was right until I got the GA insurance commissioner and attorney general involved. BTW - Geico was MY insurance company. Theirs was GA Farm Bureau and treated me very well. I will NEVER use Geico again. Currently insured with Hagerty and Erie.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GRUNDY! Full value replacement. No seasonal restrictions. etc.etc.etc. You pick how much you want to get out of your car if totaled or needs to be fixed. Send details and pics and that is the amount they insure for. So you have to ask yourself. How much do I have in the car and how much do I want to get out of it or how much set aside to repair it. Car cannot be your daily driver. My car insured for 85G and it cost around $1000 per year. ALL others will just give you blue book value! Or have tons of restrictions. How much would a new hood cost? Would the cost of hood/front fascia with no mechanical or frame damage result in a total? Most likely Yes at all the regular companies. GTS Bruce

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll never understand underwriting. I added my 08 to my USAA policy and my monthly costs went up $55. I can't explain why they are charging you triple.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why the "quote" button isn't working, but Bruce, how did you get a policy with Grundy without mileage restrictions?
I contacted Grundy, Hagerty and the "Barrett Jackson" people and they all had mileage restrictions, so I couldn't get their policies. The Viper is not my DD, but living in the south, I get a lot of good driving months and put 6-7k+ on the Viper each year.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO an insurance company rates best WHEN and IF you have a claim and how they handle/pay the claim. The worst experience I ever had was with USAA and after being with them for 25 plus years. They stink when it comes to car claims anyway. Also with USAA they have dozens of people who answer the phone and there is no personal service along with having to repeat your issues numerous times. After my previous Viper was stolen a few years ago and then totaled by the thief and having to hire an attorney to get paid, I switched to State Farm for my house, cars, and boat. They give very personal service and a one to one relationship with me. But as mentioned above, who knows when and if I have a claim with them how it will be handled? Bottom line they all want the premiums and without delay, but they hate to pay you when you need it.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grundy - $280/yr 0n 06 convertible. I only insure for the trade in value. She goes she goes.

You must be registered for see images attach

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAA since 1986. I have mixed feeling with them...been taken care of and screwed as well. But you do get that Subscribers Savings Account that a portion of your premiums pay into. I think mine is worth around $10k right now. Get several hundred dollars each fall as a payout. Wish one could tap into that fund from time to time, but you can only cash out if you close all your USAA accounts. For three cars, I'm paying $230.00 per month.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to State Farm for my house, cars, and boat. They give very personal service and a one to one relationship with me. But as mentioned above, who knows when and if I have a claim with them how it will be handled? Bottom line they all want the premiums and without delay, but they hate to pay you when you need it.

I have had State Farm for many years. I have always had essentially no questions asked reimbursement on claims. I have had a car stolen (maybe 15 years ago) that was really a scam operation, with the FBI being involved in the aftermath. State Farn treated it as a stolen car and didn't try to treat it any other way, which I think that they could have. I got more than the price I had agreed to sell it for, plus I was reimbursed for state sales tax to buy another car. Nowadays where scams are common, I don't know whether they would do the same; but, I recommend them based on my experiences.

P1st0n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay 68$ a month for an 06 Viper insured by Liberty Mutual. It is pretty cheap because I have a homeowner’s policy with them. If you own a home see if you can get a multi-policy discount.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico $63 a month but I have 13 cars on that policy so im guessing that has something to do with it

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have grundy also, $1100 per year, $80k replacement, only restriction is can not be dd. You have to prove you have another vehicle for a dd. They have a lot of perks with them also, my deductible is 0.

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAA Insurance has been my choice for the past few years. I re-quote frequently with other insurance companies but with MI's high rates for no-fault insurance, AAA has been the best value for both home and auto insurance. Since I just got married recently, I will run through the quotes again, but none of the other insurance companies have come close previously.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grundy: They asked me how much I drove it. I said 2000 miles a year or less. I usualy drive only on nice days and car club meets or trips. No winter driving. Short season. That's probably why they wern't worried about the mileage. After not driving so much or often its a thrill to go out in at again instead of being the usual.. GTS Bruce