Best radar detector?

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine the best, or Solo or someone else? We're getting close to Valentine's day, so need to know your opinion. If the popular vote is not Valentine, we may have to rename the holiday.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure that you get the "Stealth Package" (remote direction indicator) so as not to tip off "Smokey" or anyone else on your rear bumper that you've got a radar Detector! IMHO that's what really makes the Valentine One The Best!

:2tu: :2tu:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1

GTS - On the stealth package -the V1 still has to be in clear including the rear of V1 to pick up properly. Tell me where you mounted the units for I am thinking about this up grade.

Hope Phoenix doest mind me asking this question.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After all of the radar detectors I've had, the V1 definetly is the best.
Somebody should open up a little radar detector kiosk outside of all the DMV's here in AZ. You probably could retire off of all the sales in a couple of years.
The over abundance of cops in AZ with a stick up their _ss for the speed limit *****!

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE:

"GTS - On the stealth package -the V1 still has to be in clear including the rear of V1 to pick up properly. Tell me where you mounted the units for I am thinking about this up grade."

My main detector unit is simply clipped to the driver side sun visor. It is shifted as far towards the center of the car as possible so as to get excellent front and rear coverage without my big head getting in the way. Initially, I just draped the coiled cord over the mirror and down to the stealth unit plugged into the 12vDC plug. Since then, I've just fabricated a standard 4 wire telephone cord with RJ-11 jacks on the ends to the correct length. (RatShak has everything you need). It crosses over the sun visor to the windshield (A Pillar?) along the underside of the dash and over to the Stealth Unit. (There are various ways to attach to the A Pillar...use your imagination).

It is my understanding that what a lot of Traffic Enforcement Cops look for is the "dead giveaway" flashing light from the detector. The Stealth Unit allows you to turn off the main unit flashing light and routes it to the Stealth Unit which is below the field of view from the rear.

Even with the main unit clipped to the visor (try sliding the clip on from the front of the visor instead of the rear), it's pretty difficult to see it from the outside front or rear!

The last caveat: You must break that habit of instinctively hitting the brakes as soon as the Detector goes off! Always, always, always....foot off the accelerator and down shift at least one gear! That strategy, so far, has never failed me.

:2tu: :2tu:

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like my ****** 8500. It is not permanent mount, but it seems to pick up well from all directions. 9 times out of 10 - if it goes off there is a radar someplace. Seems to reach out pretty far also.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Valantine 1.

It is the best you can do without risking jail with a (active, real, expensive) jammer....

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Best radar detecto?

Depending on what state you are in, you may want to get radar detector with a laser jammer. ****** sells a laser jammer that works very well and is compatible with their radar detectors.

Valentine is my favorite radar-only unit. The arrows really are useful. It dosn't have a laser jammer option, however.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from Rocky Mountain Radar. Their stuff is all crap.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bex RX65. Outtested the others. Cheaper as well. Programmable. Can get it on ebay for about 200 less than V1. Search for yourself.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am installing a a K40 callibre with laser diffuser in my e55 today and will post results later. I have lived by the arrows for awhile and do like the V1 however I wanted a completely hidden unit.
I sell every radar detector avail except the V1 so I figured I should use a product I carry in my store

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Zen-what is your openion on the new ****** 9500i. May be wrong but dont think it will be ready for order till April. Probably be higher in price than V1.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I received my V1 about three weeks ago and I can't believe I went without one for so long. This detector is nothing short of amazing. I love the fact it can monitor multiple bogeys. I just ordered the mirror install and Invisicord kit a few minutes ago. Now I just need for the weather to warm up a few degrees.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am installing a a K40 callibre with laser diffuser in my e55 today and will post results later. I have lived by the arrows for awhile and do like the V1 however I wanted a completely hidden unit.
I sell every radar detector avail except the V1 so I figured I should use a product I carry in my store

I can tell you that the K40 works perfectly. A fellow member who is a customer of mine left his viper with me in my shop for a week for some work. I ran that vipers past many a speed trap and they never even looked at me. This was in a yellow viper. I have got 2 speeding tickets in my personal red vipers using a new ****** unit which I think is junk. By the time it goes off it is to late. The K40 was installed with the control switch in the center console and the indicator lights in the instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel. A cool feature I was told is that you can shut off the indicator lights at night and it will just beep. I know which one I will be buying, the K40! :2tu:

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Zen-what is your openion on the new ****** 9500i. May be wrong but dont think it will be ready for order till April. Probably be higher in price than V1.

the 9500 looks like a nice piece, with a nice price tag, 449 when it arrives in stores puts it at the highest price windshield mount radar...the gps looks interesting and the usb connection is nice, however I dont like all the bells and whistles...I have never used them and never will...I want a detector to alert me of upcoming radar, PERIOD....if it can diffuse laser, even better..for windshield mounts I love the v1, but for almost 1/2 the price would by a x50 in todays market....
my k40 was not installed today, should do it tomorrow...I will post my thoughts....

by the way, anyone want a slightly used v1 with a hardwire kit?

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a K40 built into my daily driver front and rear and with laser and I have the V1 I can tell you for a fact the V1 picks up rader before the K40 almost always.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I have the k4o front and rear W/laser in my viper and I have to agree with ACR Steve. When I have been chasing Steve up the highway he is on the brakes faster because his V1 has gone off before the k40. Good thing the SRT10's have great brakes Steve :D
Dave

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a very interesting discussion. I have never used the V1, only the ****** and the K40. I wish someone could get together a a cop who is a friend with a radar/laser gun and perform some real world tests. It would be neat to see just which one performs the best. I was convinced on buying the K40 but now you guys are swinging me toward the V1. Of an interesting note is the fact that ever since I removed the junk ****** form my viper I have not been stopped by cops. I have just taken my foot of the gas and downshifted to a lower gear and not touched the brakes. I swear they used to stop me because they could see the radar detectors light on from behind. Does the "Stealth Package" in the V! eliminate this problem while still showing you the arrows?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a remote display that attaches to the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter. It's basically the same as the face of the V-1 (but only more compact), so you still get all the information. You can also mount it where you want, and all you have to do it buy another phone cord the length you need. I got a refurbished unit (it has the same warranty), and the money I saved covered the cost of the "stealth display."

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you plug in the remote display it blacks out the main unit...unfortunately there is not a great place to install the remote display on the srt and you still have the main unit in the dash...if you park with the top down you still need to remove the main unit and hide it in the trunk

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using a battery operated Passport Solo for years and recently went on a trip with a friend using his Valentine. No comparison. The Valentine is in another league so I just ordered one and remembered a previous post here about reconditioned units. They only sell them if you ask and if they happen to have one in stock. They had one left today so I saved $50. It comes with new packaging and a full, as new, warranty.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got through installing the k40 and it is a nice stealthy unit...very easy install since most of it is bluetooth...went in the e55 very easily, unfortunately its not going in so easily in a s8 thats in the shop...still at work at 10:02, damn i need a drink

SilverMamba189/200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phoenix 1...I bet your glad you asked..lol. I was in the car audio/electronics business for 18 years and sold them all except the V1. My friends kept bragging about it, so I bought one. By far the best I've ever owned, and I've owned alot.

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went on ebay to buy a new v1 and they were all $499.00. They are $399.99 on there web site. Am I missing something. They looked the same. My new 06 is showing up this weekend so I thought I had better get one.
Thanks Jerry

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy a V1 direct. Ask them if they have any reburbed RDs when you call and you can save ~$50 and it should have the latest software. Purchase the mirror mount and wiring kit we discussed in the other thread and you'll be good to go. BTW, if you want to move the RD from one car to another, purchase an extra suction cup mount and if your other car has a powered mirror, buy additional mirror mounts and wiring kits why you're at it. I ended up placing multiple orders and it just added additional time and shipping. Good luck..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32