Best Short throw shifter??

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see there are about 3 out there to choose from, Svis, B&M and some home made one that Woodhouse sells. Which of these is the best, meaning crispest and cleanest shifts without being too stiff. I need to get my 2 to 3 shift alot faster than I do now. Thanx guys :)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be honest, with the MGW gripper knob I'm pretty happy with the stock setup. I haven't had any issues ripping off very quick 2-3 shifts so far.

It's not perfect, but I'll have one of Rich's shift rods here in the next few days to get rid of the rubber insulator and I'll be happy.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does the rubber insulator do anyways? I need a shifter that will go right into 3rd without any guesses or hesitations.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven Lee's Viper with a kit (can't remember who sells it) with MGW grip shift. I highly recomend the grip shift, for me it fit right into my hand and had a perfect feel. I've only had one other shift knob fit my hand more perfect (Mazda 323 because it was shaped).

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich Detert and stock knob = 25$
what is this exactly? Shaving some height off the stock knob??? I currently have a mgw shifter :p

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is this exactly? Shaving some height off the stock knob??? I currently have a mgw shifter :p

There's a lot of "loose" language on this site regarding shifters. When one says "shifter", do they mean the knob or the shaft below the knob - I favor the latter, and keep with referring to knobs as knobs.

Rich Detert sells a shorter shifter SHAFT that shortens the throw.

Places like MGW sell different shifter KNOBS to adjust the throw.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I am assuming that if I (and others) don't want to change out the entire shift assembly, Mr. Detert's shorter shaft and the MGW nob would be the best combo?

How is install on those items? Seems pretty simple in theory...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Rich Detert's short throw adapter and an earlier stock Viper knob on my 2000. (The all leather one.) I think this is a perfect set-up. I got the shortest Detert model.

I think the shifter itself is good, but once you remove the factory isolator and replace it with Detert's pice..it's perfect. (And, it shifts better than my 02 Mustang GT with a B&M short throw.)

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that's what Lee got, was from Rich. What/how many pieces come in the kit?

Moundir, so your snake isn't stock after all!

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can one get a hold of Mr Detert? Also, who has this shorter shaft and how do you like it? Is it comparable to that of the B&m shifter, or Svis? Thanx.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like what Lee has. Works well. Jason Heffner was able to get it installed pretty quickly. Just a few minutes while at a dyno day.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I am assuming that if I (and others) don't want to change out the entire shift assembly, Mr. Detert's shorter shaft and the MGW nob would be the best combo?

How is install on those items? Seems pretty simple in theory...

He has a really short shaft for the pics on his site with the 98ish stock knob, and a less short one for MGW knobs.

Install wasn't difficult, BUT for the fact that my stock shaft took a whole lot of @ss to twist free...

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kip Partridge has a Hnsy shifter he will sell for $175. Call him on 303-697-5821.

I have a Word write-up for changing the shifter from under the car. Send me a request and I will e-mail it.
Jerry Scott
303-697-1556

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just replaced my MGW short shifter with their other one, the first strike. put it on today, its a bit taller but has a nice contoured feel to it, and its supposed to eliminate some of the heat experienced through the shifter. theyre both nice though

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow Mr Detert's site recommendations for size.
3" + stock knob was just right for me.

On the Z-06 I went through the B&M Ripper, Kirban, and Hurst, (none of them felt "just right" and they exacerbated the neutral gear rattle quite a bit), so I didn't want to go through that again. Started out on the Viper with something simple and inexpensive that provides nice short throws.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a lot of "loose" language on this site regarding shifters. When one says "shifter", do they mean the knob or the shaft below the knob - I favor the latter, and keep with referring to knobs as knobs.

I reviewed Rich Detert's web page: this is not a shifter either, just the shaft. Changing the shaft lenth allows more leverage--this results in a notchier shift, but a quicker travel is gained. Basic physics. It does nothing for the "shifter geometry" beyond this. To me a "shifter" implies a change in the linkage geometry, bushings, bearings, etc that make a car shift smoothly and quickly. Just my .02.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From all the info I've seen available the SVS shifter is the best shifter available for the person with a completely open budget i.e. best available, but most expensive. (about $325 I believe plus installation)

The second best choice is the B&M Ripper shifter (about $225 I believe plus installation)

Then there's my replacement shifter shaft $25 including shipping, it gets you most of the tighter feel and shortened throw length.

If I had the budget I'd have the SVS shifter in my car, but since I still haven't found that money tree so I found a way to get most of the feel on a limited budget.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reviewed Rich Detert's web page: this is not a shifter either, just the shaft. Changing the shaft lenth allows more leverage--this results in a notchier shift, but a quicker travel is gained. Basic physics. It does nothing for the "shifter geometry" beyond this. To me a "shifter" implies a change in the linkage geometry, bushings, bearings, etc that make a car shift smoothly and quickly. Just my .02.
I agree, with this a 100%. I'm going to Drive my friend's car with the B&M again as I didnt like it at first. I also called Woodhouse and asked about thier moddified shifter and they said the put a spring in it to eliminate the dreaded 3 to 2 shift :eek: Unfort I dont have that problem, my problem is finding 3rd gear quickly :eek:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does the rubber insulator do anyways? I need a shifter that will go right into 3rd without any guesses or hesitations.

Mike, the rubber insulator basically dampens the vibration of the transmission and driveline that can be felt and heard from the driver seat in your hand. You know, like some luxury car guy would complain about neutral gear rattle.

My firsthand opinion about short throw shifters is they are not worth it. The stock shifter with a shorty stalk(Rubber isolator removed) and THE PROPER shifting technique will lead to 99.999% perfect shifts.

Aftermarket shifters have the pivot point raised and adjustable stops... If they are not adjusted properly, the shifter can overtravel and jam it too far into gear which is obviously not good. Now undertraveling the shifter can result in partial gear engagement which can surely blow up the transmission.

==> John Lingenfelter once replied to me that "stock is best" when I asked him about dry sumping the engine. I know this has nothing to do with a shifter but the principle stands. This is also why I believe that stroking the motor cannot be better than the stock stroke/rod angles/etc... This is just my opinion.

As far as a faster 2-3 shift is concerned, I recommend getting your elbow into the 3-4 groove as soon as you get into 2nd. Then 2-3 is simply straight ahead--> You should never miss it! Relax and you will be fine!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even better, shifter = the actual shifter mechanics, good to get some clarity around here! :)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now go get your clear corner covers!

I am ashamed to say they were delivered today, I want to grow up like you slaughter. ROTFLOL!!

Yes, you do :) LOL!

BTW, take a look at my revised sig, so you can decide what to buy next ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960