best sounding header/exaust combo? (loudest?)

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which header/excause combo will sould very good but still be really loud? I was thinking corsa track exaust will get loud but just in case I want louder. (btw update on teh viper situation is I finally got my truck sold slow market for cars around here took about 2-3 weeks to sell at an extremely low price!!) Should have my srt-10 sometime this month :laugh:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, but I want it to flow like crazy but still be reasonably quiet. I think I'm out of luck. ;)

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger header with the Belanger side exit exhaust is reported to be very loud. I have this set up, but kept the crossover, and it sounds great above 3K rpm. Below that it is relatively quiet, so cruising isn's as obnoxious.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa track exhaust with high flow cats and headers (I have Billy Boat) sounds amazing, and is really loud.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Kai that sounds amazing!! I heard the track exaust sounds good! BAsically what i was wondering is how loud can I go without it sounding strange? (I heard some exaust systems give it the sound of 5 cyclenders out of each side which isn't soemthing I would want but still want crazy loud!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Kai that sounds amazing!! I heard the track exaust sounds good! BAsically what i was wondering is how loud can I go without it sounding strange? (I heard some exaust systems give it the sound of 5 cyclenders out of each side which isn't soemthing I would want but still want crazy loud!

Track exhaust, high flow cats, and headers is crazy loud, without the harshness of open headers and straightpipes. You will get noticed, I promise. As an added bonus, when you downshift, fire sometimes comes out of the sidepipes.

I had to tone mine down a bit with cone mufflers. I still have the sound quality, it's just not as loud anymore.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Big Carrot,

Just keep the cross overs. It won't be too loud down low but will scream up high.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lou Belanger's header was initially designed and built with the full cooperation of PVO.

Best Dyno on a stock VCC was the Mccann Racing VCC at +64 RWHP. This car is of course catless, non-streetable exhaust, and programmable computer. Belanger has also dynoed several VCCs at +55 to + 60 HP to the rear wheels.

The Belanger SRT-10 system runs 110-125 degrees cooler in the sill area. Includes fully-coated inside and out headers and hardware, new O-2 senors PVO-engineered, (No CEL lights,) HF cats, cat-back exhaust with or without crossover.

Choice of mufflers mild-wild -- this is the key. If you get a mild sounding muffler, you get the power without the loud sound, which is what I ended up doing.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Heffner's headers (with Burns collectors), RT steel cats, and Corsa cat-backs with no crossover (oh, and ported heads and cam). I personally love the sound--it is LOUD and NASTY, hehe. I'm happy to send anyone a wave file that wants to hear it (or that could post it for me). Just PM me an email address.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Heffner's headers (with Burns collectors), RT steel cats, and Corsa cat-backs with no crossover (oh, and ported heads and cam). I personally love the sound--it is LOUD and NASTY, hehe. I'm happy to send anyone a wave file that wants to hear it (or that could post it for me). Just PM me an email address.

Sounds AWESOME!! Thank you! I'm not sure if theres any benefit for me to go to high flow cats without getting headers. What do you guys think

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennes.sey's long tube 1.75" headers, Burns collectors and 3" full sewerpipe rear outlets are the baddest sounding exhaust out there. They are especially wonderful with a good driver at the wheel on a big road course! :headbang:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"I'm not sure if theres any benefit for me to go to high flow cats without getting headers. What do you guys think"

Ricky, it depends on what are you trying to accomplish. If you are going for max HP gains, headers are a must, if you're going for sound, headers wont make that much of a difference to justify the money. If you are going to super charge or turbo in the future, get the headers...

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might supercharge about 2 years down the road, I defenetly won't turbo it. So far I was thinking Corsa track, with random tech high flow cats, but I don't know what type of headers...:eek:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever headers you get, make sure that you deal with the heat issues.

Get the headers heat coated

http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm

Get heat shields:

http://www.dcperformance.com/Nav.aspx/Page=/PageManager/Default.aspx/PageID=322924

Make sure that your wires and lines are shielded:

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.html

The clutch line, in particular, is very close to the headers. You will need to shield it or maybe even move it. I am replacing the clutch line with a slightly longer line, so that I can relocate its path a bit further from the header pipes.

If you don't deal with the heat issues, you will melt your wiring and hydraulic lines.

I didn't do any of these things when I installed my headers, and am having to do them now. It would have been easier to do them when the headers were getting installed.

Kai

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
Will I have to deal with any of these if I just get the high flow cats and corsa track and leave the headers?
Ricky

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full Belanger with magnaflow coffee cans, crossover delete. Full out loud. It'll set off car alarms in parking lots easy, even if you park a safe spot away. I'm dead serious. Got mine done at Fat Alberts which I thought was cool because he took me over to Belangers shop around the corner and I got to meet the crew there.

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Got belanger headers.and competition coupe exhaust ,it is very loud but that is the way they sound when competing.
not cats.true viper sound in looks great

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I Got belanger headers.and competition coupe exhaust 3",it is very loud but that is the way they sound when competing.
not cats.true viper sound in looks great.when i cranked up the entire area notice it ,this car is loud and fast,it also get to the red line very quick due to the light weight flywheel.hard to keep wheel on ground

TAZMC2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To give you and example of how loud my car is.my wife never been on it and my bird dog is afraid of it.
I tried corsa with hi flow cats nfg
B & B is ok but,,,,not loud enough
the best performance and the bat out of hell effect:
bellagers headers torqued at 200in/lb then 90 degrees 3"(same material the headers are made of,very light)
and then your competition coupe high flows with resonators
(got them at woodhoseviper from Mark Jorgensen.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote from Mongoose @ 1:21AM :

"I Got belanger headers.and competition coupe exhaust ,it is very loud but that is the way they sound when competing.
not cats.true viper sound in looks great."

Quote from Mongoose @ 1:34AM :

"I Got belanger headers.and competition coupe exhaust 3",it is very loud but that is the way they sound when competing.
not cats.true viper sound in looks great.when i cranked up the entire area notice it ,this car is loud and fast,it also get to the red line very quick due to the light weight flywheel.hard to keep wheel on ground "

Quote from Mongoose @ 1:58AM :

"To give you and example of how loud my car is.my wife never been on it and my bird dog is afraid of it.
I tried corsa with hi flow cats nfg
B & B is ok but,,,,not loud enough
the best performance and the bat out of hell effect:
bellagers headers torqued at 200in/lb then 90 degrees 3"(same material the headers are made of,very light)
and then your competition coupe high flows with resonators
(got them at woodhoseviper from Mark Jorgensen."

I heard that loud exhaust sound and fumes, can cause insomnia and in some severe cases can lead to arguments, even when there is no one to argue with.. :laugh:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
add some mufflers, too mongoose