Best tire for Autocross and Drag racing?

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Toyo ra1 would be a great choice if they make them big enough for the srt. I love them on my rt!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosier A6, second would be the KUMHO 710. Heat cycles will be the key though they won't be sticky forever.

About how many heat cycles for the Kumho?

I am not a racer; just an HPDE guy with limited experience, starting to think and learn about stickier tires. What constitutes a heat cycle? Run up to track generated temperatures, and then to fully cold, or just down to whatever temperature the tires would get to by sitting for an hour or two between sessions. ( I read that initial heat cycle for R compound needs to be a long time cold; but, realize that is a different type of cycle.)

Reaction score
The 710 will work for a LONG time for the track, I switch them early because you can tell that they are slowing in an autocross situation, BUT that is just me, many racers run them 100 plus cycles with no problem and they still work great. A cycle to me is heat then cool to ambient or just above. It is like metal contracting and expanding with heat even though they don't go to the extremes they are still cycling. If this was not the case then a race tire on the street would probably never heat cycle out since the temps are never very high. This is just my thoughts on this though and should not be taken out of context as "FACTS"

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire size seems to matter a lot in availability. Here's what I've found for 18". I'd love to see this expanded with other tire options and thoughts. Price and availability seem to fluctuate quite a bit in our sizes. I run 335 rear and either 295 or 305 front. I prefer to run a tire that I can drive to the track and back, so I don't run slicks very often. I do have different rims for street/track.

Kumho v700 - Decent price. Seem to be sticky at first. Tread seems to last longer than the heat cycles.

Toyo R888 - Decent price. Sticky on the outer tread but lose traction rapidly as the tread gets low. RA1's were rumored to get better on grip as the tread got lower, but I can't find them in 18"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang