Best way to get a Viper inspected pre-purchase

TurboDrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm starting to shop around for a viper. 96-99, preferably a GTS. I'm not limiting my search in terms of distance from MA, so with that said, are these cars such that you would just have a standard shop look one over for me or should these cars be left to viper "experts" and performance shops? So far the two cars I'm really interested in are near Raleigh NC and Arizona.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend someone that knows Vipers. I have flown around the nation and driven for hours to inspect Vipers. With that said, I have done too many POST inspections after the purchase to find a number of issues. A while back I “POST inspected” a so called perfect 1998 Viper. After the inspection, I discovered that every panel had been painted and both the side sills had been replaced. (The Date stickers were newer than the production date of the car). It just depends on how nice of a Viper you are looking for. There are some really bad ones out there and some showroom new ones. The real story is under the car, not the shiny paint. How much will you pay for a PPI? Plan on $300 to $500 plus expenses/time for travel if needed. That may sound expensive, but your first repair bill could be much higher. Nothing is guaranteed, the inspection will look for current problems. The motor could still grenade the day after purchase.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with Jerry...before rather than after money changes hands. In NC, ask Tom sessions as he is one of the most experienced Viper Techs around. 910-228-8477. It's possible that he already knows the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang