Best way to raise front of 2008 Viper safely?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to remove my 2 front rims and tires to mount and balance new tires. What is the best way to raise and support (for at least 3-4 days) the front of the car while the new tires are being mounted? The catch is that I need to raise, remove and keep the car supported while on a four post Revolution lift. Will a bottle jack be my best bet followed by jack stands? I have 2 floor jacks as well that I could use but am not sure it is ok to keep the car suspended in air using just the floor jacks for multiple days.

Thanks for your advice.

/Rich

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
holy smokes--3 to 4 days to get tires mounted,are you doing them by hand?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I would not try this for the time period described, agree that small bottle jacks and jack stands should work. I would not trust the floor jacks alone...due to possible leakdown and/or accidental dislodgement.

Hopefully, you can isolate the srea from other folks.

Good luck.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I just looked at our SRT-10 sitting on top of a 4 post lift. I would further recommend:
Jack the car up using small (2-4 ton) bottle jack, then place steel pucks or plates(4.5-5 inches worth) under each of the triangular front jacking tabs. Then use two small jack stands on the front frame rails...supported by your jack bridge.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man its really not a big deal just use a floor jack and jack up one side at a time and put a jackstand under the frame with a towel on it and lower it down and do the other side and take the wheels off. Whats the big deal?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
jamie, I believe that this is the catch as rcl4668 said:

"The catch is that I need to raise, remove and keep the car supported while on a four post Revolution lift."

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's how I held mine for about a month while my wheels were being chromed. Cut up 2x12 into small sections.

You must be registered for see images attach

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you only have one floor jack, jack from the rear jacking tab and it'll raise the front wheel off the ground also. A piece of 4x6 under the front tab would do the track. If you want to remove the other front tire, leave the first side wheel in place just in case the car moves on you. Then jack up the other rear tab then place another piece of 4x6 under the other front tab.
If you have two floor jacks, I'd just jack both front tabs and be done w/ it. If your jacks are in good shape, they should hold pressure for days which I do quite often.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Lots of ideas...BUT, the original question was stated in regards to the following:

"The catch is that I need to raise, remove and keep the car supported while on a four post Revolution lift."

Again, I would not recommend doing it on the lift...in fact, I'd just swap cars...and put the Viper on the ground.

I would definitely NOT trust wood blocks to hold up the front half of a 3500 lb car on a lift above another car...for a several day time frame!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people think bottle jacks are any different than floor jacks; the hydraulic ram is vertical in one and horizontal in another. The fluid and seals don't know which direction the car is...

I don't suppose the older car spare tires fit? You could probably borrow two from buddies.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"That's what they use to support ships when they're in dry dock."

Yeah, but they use more than two lifting points...AND...there isn't another ship below the one in dry dock!!! :)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"That's what they use to support ships when they're in dry dock."

Yeah, but they use more than two lifting points...AND...there isn't another ship below the one in dry dock!!! :)

But there's people. I think wood blocks can handle a 3500 pound car.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys --

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback. Seems like there's more than one way to skin this cat but to err on the side of caution I think I'll just swap cars on the lift and get the Viper on the ground to do this a little more safely.

/Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32