Best way to remove cats??

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd like to remove the cats this week and i wanted to know any tips or suggestions for doing so. Is this a difficult job? I was planning on cutting them out and going to the local store for some 3" pipe and some clamps for straight pipes. Is there any place specific to cut the cats? anything i should do special?

thanks!

mike

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to ask this, but are stock header pipes on a gen II, 2 1/2 inch? I have Corsa 3" after the cats.....so I think I would need a pipe with 2 1/2" fitting on one side and 3" fitting on the other side, right?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hate to ask this, but are stock header pipes on a gen II, 2 1/2 inch? I have Corsa 3" after the cats.....so I think I would need a pipe with 2 1/2" fitting on one side and 3" fitting on the other side, right?
Stock exhaust is 2 1/4 I beleive.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sawsall

If you are getting 3" pipe, I take it you have a 3" catback system, in which case you will need an adaptor like you have now to go from the stock header pipe to the 3" catback

If not, you will just need 2-1/2" pipe which should swedge over the smaller stock pipe.

Good luck

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did it.No sweat.Just take a sawzall and cut at the weld coming off the header(about at the front of your door).I measured the size of pipe to be sure and took it with me to the Zone.I had to adapt and use two clamps up front and bolted my Borla cat back right back in.Couple hour job at the most.Also needed sims on my 2000.Was told at the strip next week it was the best sounding Viper the had ever heard.It is perfect I'm leaving it alone.Stock header,no cats,and Borla catback.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Mike saw you in the silver bullet on Randall roadyesterday afternoon twice heading south and then heading north. Looks like you were having fun. Good luck with it man.

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bud!

yeah i was cruising and enjoying the car as usual. I think i've put on about 250 miles the fist week ive owned it, i cant get enough of it. :)

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did it.No sweat.Just take a sawzall and cut at the weld coming off the header(about at the front of your door).I measured the size of pipe to be sure and took it with me to the Zone.I had to adapt and use two clamps up front and bolted my Borla cat back right back in.Couple hour job at the most.Also needed sims on my 2000.Was told at the strip next week it was the best sounding Viper the had ever heard.It is perfect I'm leaving it alone.Stock header,no cats,and Borla catback.

Exactly the setup i will have soon! I love the borla i have but its needs a little more, im hoping removing the cats does the trick :)

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys,

doing this tomorrow. I took the sills off and on my 3" borla catback exhaust the side of the borla that attaches to the stock cats is 2 1/2" and NOT 3". Therefore i will need a 2 1/2 straight pipe to replace the cat and connect to the header (stock ones).

Im surprised the borla thats on my car has 2 1/2" coming out of the one side (3" on the exit side). I though for sure they were 3" on both sides and i would be able to use a 3" pipe to replace the cat and just get a reducer to connect it to the header. I would think that would be more of a HP gain.

Ugh, not many choices i suppose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte