Best Way to Transfer a Title on a Shipped Purchase ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a used Viper and have it shipped... The seller will take paypal for the full value but how do I guarantee the title transfer ?

Anything else to consider on a sight unseen purchase ?

Seems like these cars are pretty rare an most of what I like is not local...

Thanks

hdscreens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing can guarantee a title transfer if U aren't actually there to do the transaction but U could ask to have a faxed title front and back to make sure they actually have title and numbers match. There was talk a few days ago of some scam going around which was for a Viper. The issue with using pay pal seems sketchy. Ask if someone on the forum lives near this Viper so they can check it out for U. I purchased my Viper without seeing in person but I had an inspection service actually go inspect the vehicle.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any VCA members in the area that can check the car out for you? It seems strange to me the fact they would WANT to take paypal for the full value. If paypal is still taking a percentage (and not a flat fee) of the sale, the seller is losing several hundred dollars. That's why people usually just take a down payment or hold w/ paypal.

I just bought a car 1500 miles away and am paying w/ cashiers check. Western Union and Paypal full amounts alarm me personally. Be carful.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above...Unless hes selling it for 1k or below I would be very wary of the PAYPAL transfer...PAYPAL blows IMO especially if your trying to retrieve cash..I would follow the advise to also have someone in the area of the car check it out and its documentation..Lots of smart,helpful and very knowledgable people on this site.:headbang:Kevin

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you know that the seller is a very reputable and respected individual or company, I wouldn't worry too much. Anything else, and I recommend only doing it if you can afford to lose the money. If you don't have the time to do the transaction in person, and still feel the need to buy the car, you will have to accept the risk of the many things that could go wrong. There is enough things that could go wrong if you do the transaction face to face, that I would never consider the added risk doing it remotely.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shipped a car and handled the title transfer by engaging the local VCA president to do the following:

Deliver the keys and title to the new owner upon receipt of a bank check drawn and confirmed on a local bank. this was at the time Intercity delivered the car to the VCA president.

Once he did that- he turned over the car and title and sent me the bank check.

I already had a decent deposit, but it was nice - for both sides - to have a person on the ground handling the transaction to insure that nothing was "odd". I think both sides felt better.

And - it was "free" - no broker fees, handling fees, paypal percentage, escrow fees, etc.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would ask the seller if they are willing to have it taken to the local Viper Tech to have it inspected.

If he is call the closet Dodge dealership with a Viper tech and have the guy bring the car in. Then you talk to the Viper Tech and make sure all is legit including title.

This is what I did and I sent payment via Pay Pal. It takes a while as you can only send 10K at a time lol

I wouldn't hesitate to do it the same way again.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would ask the seller if they are willing to have it taken to the local Viper Tech to have it inspected.

If he is call the closet Dodge dealership with a Viper tech and have the guy bring the car in. Then you talk to the Viper Tech and make sure all is legit including title.

This is what I did and I sent payment via Pay Pal. It takes a while as you can only send 10K at a time lol

I wouldn't hesitate to do it the same way again.

while at the dealer, most of them will do the paperwork for a (smallish) fee - this is their job btw

good luck

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know in my case, I am giving about any information I can to the buyer. My bank contacts, insurance carrier / agent, etc. Since I own a business, I do not want my bank to ever hear that I am not handling a sale of anything properly.

Just get all the info you can about the seller, etc. As long as you do not just have a cell phone number or something, they are easily found and prosecuted if there is a problem.

Done this many times myself.

I also will bring my to any shop...I have Macedo Motorsports right up the street!

Good luck!

PS...Are you thinking of my car??? :)

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's starting to sound like I should probably just get plane tickets or wait for something more local... I enjoy the hunt but I'm starting to get itchy to see one of these awesome machines in my garage...

I really appreciate all the help and advice and it's good to know that there is a network of fine people here to help with some of the legwork if necessary...

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just get a plane ticket! I am flying to Georgia (500 miles away) to get in my new one and drive it home! I guess Cali would be a bit far though!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc