Beware of tow truck drivers!!!

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This didn't happen to my viper, but easily could have. Here is what happened and I am PISSED!

My van wouldn't start earlier this week so I had to towed to the garage via my AAA. They replaced my ignition coil and it worked. It worked for about 3 days. When I was driving home last night it just shut off on the highway. I pulled over and called AAA again. They sent the same tow truck. Different driver.

He loaded me up I was in the van and steered it for him on the flatbed. We later arrived at the garage. He angled the flatbed so I could drift down backwards. He apparently took the cable totally off the front of the van and told me to put it in neutral. I did what he said and had my foot on the brake as extra stoppage, thinking he still had me hooked. Being not hooked on the front, and having no brakes, my van flew down and rammed right into another car that was there, causing damage to both vehicles.

Acting like he couldn't care less he chuckled and said, well I assume your insurance will cover this. I said angrily that HIS companys insurannce will cover it because it was his fault. He's trying to blame me for being behind the wheel. I can't wait to call my insurance company. I can't today because of the holiday.

What is your take on this situation and who is at fault? I did as he directed me to do. Obviously he should have never let me drift back knowing i had virtually no brakes. And it's not like my car drifted back 20ft from the truck. Right about the time my van got off the truck, I made contact with the car sitting there.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with power assisted brakes not functioning (motor not on), you still have brakes. You just need to push them like hell...

I'm afraid since you were behind the wheel, he may have a point. If he was steering/braking, it would have been his problem.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well from the angel I was on drifting backwards, all my pushing did nothing.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess that's would be a good lesson learned: stay away from your vehicle until the guy clearly done loading/unloading it.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest with you. No [******]. As a auto transporter and about to buy a flatbed tow truck soon. I personally would have never let a customer get involved in the process of loading or unloading of a vehicle from a flatbed. His insurance won't be happy about that. Why the hell did he unhook the cable if the vans brakes were not working. Who is this toe truck driver? Moe, Larry or Curly? That is so stupid. Brakes or no brakes the vehicle should always be rolled off with the cable on, safety first. And no one should be in the vehicle. He's lucky no one was near this goff balls truck.Did he ask you to help unloading your van? I think his insurance should cover the damage, and if not you should sue him and the company for negligence. :nono: Operators like that are the ones that give the industry a bad name. That's why any VCA member in the Chicagoland that has a problem with there car especially there Viper should call my Company. A two time Viper owner with experience transporting them and soon flatbed service in the Chicagoland area as well.

OP
OP
A

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it seems it is illegal or whatever for him to let me even in the car on the flatbed. I should get word tomorrow from my insurance company. Can't wait!!!