BFG Drag Radials

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

It looks like I am going to be in the market for some drag radials. :D I am looking at the BFG G-force Drag radials. My understanding is that I should put them on the front and back, Correct? From what I hear, handling can get quite interesting if you put them only on the back. :crazy: Also, what is the ballpark price for a set of front and rears? Thanks.

Scott

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You going to run them on the street all the time? I used to run ET drags on a car with wide radials on the front. Drove it back and forth to the track W/O swaybars with no issues.

I wouldn't want drag radials on all the time though.

my $.02

Carl

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You run the BFG's on the back only and stock pilots on the front. YOu only need the soft sidewalls on the back. Don't plan on doing any high speed runs with them or any road courses. They stink for that. I won't take mine above 140MPH. It is just too scary. Running on the drag strip is no prob going 140+ but on the regular roads is just dangerous. ~$280ea from parts or tire rack.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys suggest for the best overall tire ?? One that has good traction yet is also rated for high speed driving >140MPH ?

Thanks !

Jeff

P.S Sorry Scott didn't mean to hi-jack your post ;)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What size wheel are you using? I've seen them for 17 and 18" wheels but they have a narrower tread than the pilots.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bandit, you only need them on the back and as previous posts have said they are not intended for anything other than going straight. Here's the difference in the Pilots and drag radials.

195100_0380a.JPG

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder how many miles I could get out of them on the street?

why bother driving with them on the street, you don't street race.....do ya? :D

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it the photo or does the drag radial look wider than the pilots?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it the photo or does the drag radial look wider than the pilots?

they are a touch wider as well as an inch or so taller.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J DAWG,

I am expecting to be pushing about 800RWHP when the car comes back. So I am a little concerned with getting any traction with the stock Pilots. I figure I won't be doing any autocross with them on but how about some nice Sunday driving. Will I have problems with tooling around town on them? I live about 10 minutes from Englishtown Raceway so you never know when I just might want to take a few trips down the strip. I have serious concerns going down the strip with the stock Pilots on.

Bandit400

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Bandit,

These BFGs will hook great if the track is prepped. last week at Atlanta I could not get any traction, at my local track here in Orlando I am able to leave the line at 3500 rpm and the car dead hooks. For modest street driving the BFGs are ok, but you have to pump them up to 28-30 psi, at this pressure I have found that they spin more than the Michelins. I have had them up to about 140 on the street, but the front end felt very light. Also, don't get caught in the rain with them. In short, they are a good tire for the occasional drag racer, but they don't really work well as a daily tire.

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the Nitto Drag Radials (315/35/17) on my 11" Kinesis rears. Not sure how they would fit on the stock 12" rims.
I've had mine on my car for about 8,000 miles now. They still look like they have at least 50% tread. I run them at 28lbs daily driving, and 18lbs at the track.
I ran an 11.18 @ 125 w/1.66 60ft on them. At the Vette Viper shootout, I actually pulled a 1.61 60ft, but the stock clutch couldn't handle it.

I've had the BFG Drags, but wouldn't recommend them in the rain, or for mileage. Though they hook great.

Hope that helps.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can expect at most 3000 miles out of them. That would include 5-6 times at the strip.

I wish Kumho made an 18" because that is the one to get. 6-7000 miles, great cornering, and great traction.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info guys. So it sounds like BFG might not be the best in this case. :confused: Looking at the link Saleen posted, the Pilot Sport Cups might be another option. The price is steep but if it save me from losing traction and doing a 180. They will be well worth it. Still like to see opinions from people using the Pilot Sport Cups? Thanks.

Bandit400

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap 2 final editions running around the east coast with all that power :eek: You and I have to definatly hook up ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960