Big dyno numbers from stock 97 GTS

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone I think the old Blue/White has done the viper nation proud. I wish I could post the dyno sheet but I do not have the capability. I might try taking a picture of it on my counter top then downloading it. Anyways here is what happened.

This was done on a dynometer dyno. NOT a dynojet nor a mustang dyno.

Peak HP 473.1 @ 5195 RPM
Peak TQ 542 @ 3673 RPM

DAMN!!! That's pretty good.

They said if it was corrected for a dynojet it would right around 426-430 Hp
and 500-505 lb feet for the same numbers. Still that's pretty damn good considering this is a bone stock 97 GTS. No tubes, exhaust, VEC II, or anything. Showroom stock except for a massive stereo system and a huge NX setup.

And the car was unfortunately lean, real lean. Is that normal? It would only get down to 12.6 at 4900 RPM. Usually it was 14.3 to 13.5 which is not good at all to do a Nitrous run. I was hoping to test my 250 shot but no go, not with these conditions.

Good news is this gives me a baseline. And the car was tested after spirited driving with my friends Turbo Porsche and a hot day out here. I think it would have been even stronger if it was not so hot from driving and then going right on the dyno.

Anyone have ideas on how I can lean the car out. Or do I need a Vec II right off the bat?

Thanks for looking, I think the car does Gen II owners proud.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the 97 B/W GTS is by far the strongest and most loved Viper! :headbang: :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id think with the proper jetting the nitrous would be fine. but id go slow and keep checking the a/f as it dyno'd. just start with a real heavy fuel jet and go from there. dont sweat it. just bring it up slow. start with a 100 shot, then 150 etc....

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are great numbers and makes me feel real good with my 97GTS. I have done the K&N filters, smooth tubes and just about to finish a Gen1 side exhaust. I felt like mine ran good, but having never driven others, I had nothing to compare it to. Thanks for the info, you made my day. :headbang:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles does the car have on it? The HP goes up as they get broken in.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlwnAsp:

The NA numbers shouldn't significantly affect the nitous a/f. Just start off at 100hp and work your way up. Also start with a larger fuel jet than that which is suggested. In addition, you shouldn't worry below 3000-3500, that is where you will turn on the nitrous.

The VEC2 will enable you to make that a/f a flat 13.0 in the NA mode. It can also be used as a nitrous window switch.

OP
OP
B

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pleased with the car because it has 34,000 miles on it. This is a driven B/W not a garaged car. But hey it's healthy and still looking great.

The air fuel was 14.1 even at 3230 RPM and would drop to 13.3 at 4351 RPM. This is why I was thinking that is too high. I would like the NX to be streetable and only really use it once in awhile. Is their anyway I can get these numbers down with more simplistic means?

I plan on buying a Vec II, but not untill January probably. I have got to open up this exhaust first, it needs to be done badly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960