Big Wing Viper

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I was heading to NC today and saw the biggest wing on a Viper I had ever seen. The pic is not that great and I tried to make it so you could see it better, but you get the idea. This viper was not a stock red and looked awesome.....well maybe lose the wing. LOL

You must be registered for see images

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is more aero than sence...

That's an Autofrom wing.... don't know what settings that was on but that isn't going to do anything except kill teradactles.

This is another air thiner...

You must be registered for see images attach

Must admit.. I like this car.

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that does not look like the autoform wing to me
that thing is huge!
too big to even be a park bench lol!

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately an Autoform wing... it has elongated arm struts... that thing is simply ridiculous! Same mounting, same wing tips etc.... Horrible.

EDIT: May be a SRT Aero package... stilll with arms, that thing is way too tall.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, remember, "different strokes for different folks". I know the wing is not for everybody, but it is for him and like all of us, I am sure he is a proud Viper owner. If somebody is looking for a standard sized Autoform wing for the RT/10(like in post #4), PM me and cut the guy some slack. :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was heading to NC today and saw the biggest wing on a Viper I had ever seen.

Could be worse. I really do NOT like a wing on any car that's there just to make it look like a race car. So, if someone is just trying to get a race car look, who's to say what is "good taste?" Which race car is it OK to emulate? :dunno:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you on this (looks being subjective) - however this wing looks like it was outsourced to Cessna :rolleyes:

Could be worse. I really do NOT like a wing on any car that's there just to make it look like a race car. So, if someone is just trying to get a race car look, who's to say what is "good taste?" Which race car is it OK to emulate? :dunno:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Super Bird is exactly what popped into my mind at first look. There is a point where the pictured exploitation of the "Hemi" name and symbolism become ridiculous and embarrassing; this truck has crossed that line. I can completely appreciate a person capitalizing and displaying proudly the "Hemi" heritage but not to the point Chevrolet has with their famed, now laughed at "SS" badge.

Common sense and commonality of it are 2 different things.

How many of you guys LIKED the huge wing on the 1970 Super Bee? And what was your opinion of the Jimmy Durante nose?

Bob

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time perspective - the Chapparal wing and Superbird wing were the first of their kind. The Chapparal wing was actually attached to the suspension, not the body work. The Superbird wing had to allow the stock trunk lid to open.

30 years later we know underbody air is equally important and the size/shape of wings is more efficient. While I agree anyone can do whatever they want to their own car, the thing that gets me is the different levels of technology - a '60s wing on a '90s car.

But it must be easier to find in a parking lot.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this guy got a his wing from the same place
Apr11_0002.jpg

It looks even worse in person!!

That wing is from a 1969 Dodge Daytona (then again it could be just the truck size making the wing look shorter than it actualy is). Very similar to the 1970 Plymouth Superbird wing, but a few inches shorter and the vertical uprights were a little narrower/thiner. Tom is correct on th height thing. On the 69 Daytonas they did not have a wing as high but they had to restrict the trunk opening to prevent wing damage. As they found it was too hard to get things in and out in daily use, the 70 Superbirds got a wing to allow full opening but at a cost of being a slight bit less aerodynamic.

As for the original thread photo, I have no words!:omg:

Robert

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Height does come into play when trying to get the wing in clean air. Note that the high wings were on RT/10's, which have very poor air close to the body. Ugly, but possibly more functional.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Viper shopping cart, like the ones for little kids...

Aerodynamically speeking, I don't understand the necessity for the excessive height. The front end on that car has to lift and get floaty at speed.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's with the shadow box around the viper in that shot? Is it photoshopped? The shadow looks like it doesn't belong.